First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Xl
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had three Rangers as a third vehicle. I had a 1997 reg cab (5speed / 2.3L) , a 1999 Extended cab XLT ( 3.0 /auto 4WD) and a 2010 regular cab (5speed auto/ 2.3 16v). They were as a whole great simple trucks. But they ride like trucks and feel primitive compared to my Maverick.

I’ve bought a XL hybrid as a spiritual replacement for the Ranger. The simple ethos of the Ranger lives on in my mind with a more comfortable unibody ride.
Sponsored

DrFaustus

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick FWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've owned a 2021 Ranger, and currently own a 2024 Ranger.

The 2021 Ranger was not a pleasant car to drive. It would throw you around over the slightest bump or pot hole. The 2024 however is a completely different experience. It feels a lot more solid in the suspension. It drives like a full size truck.

Driving the Maverick is much more "car/SUV" like to me. It is very enjoyable, especially on curvy mountain roads.

As far as perceived in cabin space. The Mav's dash and seat position make it feel like it has more room than the 2021. The 2021's dash sloped downward and it felt more cramped than the Maverick. The 2024 has much more perceived cabin space due to its similar dash to the Maverick. So it defiantly feels roomier. But i wouldn't say the Ranger is larger, just similar.

VetteNZMan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have a '87 2.0L carb'd 5 speed Ranger (lowest trim level - I think S) I purchased from a coworker in 2006 for $200. He was having engine issues that could not be resolved - turned out it was only a vac line to the heat control to the carb, carb would randomly ice up, engine would go rich and die. It's a vac line mess but generally I can keep everything running my self. The worst part is the clutch slave cylinder has failed a few times and requires you to drop the trans to replace. Most of my present driving is with the '23 or '22 XL hybrid Mavs I own. One or both will become my twin's first ride in a few years. I always find it interesting that as far as domestic old small trucks - you see by far most are Rangers.

DoctorWizard

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wizard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wizlights.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Lariat w 2.0 EcoBoost in Azure
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not even two weeks ago I sold "Homer", my bright yellow 2003 Ranger Edge Supercab to my nephew and got a brand new 2024 Maverick Lariat.
Truthfully, I miss Homer. The Mav is indeed much nicer, but is it $500 a month nicer than my paid-for Ranger? I'm not sure.
Mostly I miss the 6ft bed and the UnderCover tonneau cover that hinges upward. I'm mostly retired but do some volunteer handy-man type work and the back is full of tools, screws, glue, other bits-and-bobs. The hinged cover was very convenient, but no-one appears to make one like that for the Mav. The Tri-fold is a PITA. Looked at the '24 Rangers and the competition and everything in the midrange trucks has a 5ft or less bed. The new Rangers are considerably larger overall than my '03.
The bad: I got a Lariat mostly for the infotainment and am getting very frustrated and annoyed with Sync 3's awful support of music from a USB drive. The really-old, super-cheap, Chinese-generic, Android-based head-unit in Homer had a lot of quirks but was still way better than this piece of 💩 Sync 3. I read in advance it was bad about re-indexing constantly and in attempt to mitigate that I got a NVMe drive in a small USB case with 10Mbs transfer rate. 9K songs using 73GB meticulously organized and tagged and arranged in 250 playlists is still less than what some other people are using. And complaining about. And a minor point, but it can't even do gapless playback- even the simplest most basic media players do that nowadays. Now I'm having to merge all my Pink Floyd songs back together into album files to avoid the gaps.
Last complaint is that the Mav rides much rougher than the Ranger. Potholes and road construction are much more jarring. I hope I just need time for the suspension to break in.
The good: Paid $36K for a high-end Lariat only a little below MSRP. Still feel I got a lot of features for the price. Built in navigation is nice although Homer ran Google Maps and Waze (sluggishly) on the Android head unit. Love all the connected features in the Mav! Comfort is about equal to the Ranger. Like the better all-around visibility. The Mav is soooo much quieter than the Ranger, not sure how much of that can be attributed to the "acoustic" windshield but the silence is deafening. Most of all I love the safety features especially the lane assist.

So if Ford could just bring Sync 3 into the current century, I'd be really happy with the Maverick.
Ford Maverick People who had a Ranger before the Maverick Rear 1

(You can see my new Gray Metallic Azure Maverick just to the left. It hasn't named his/herself yet but "Marge" is a possibility)

Sponsored

Red Pepper Maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had a 2019 Ranger and now a 2024 Maverick. I love them both. I just wanted a smaller truck. Maverick is fun to drive and very comfortable.
Ford Maverick People who had a Ranger before the Maverick HPR Low
Ford Maverick People who had a Ranger before the Maverick 20240603_075606

Dochatley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, 2024 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick People who had a Ranger before the Maverick IMG_1515

Had this a couple of years and loved it but much happier with the Mav. Space in front about the same really and back not a lot of noticeable difference. Ranger was 4 wheel drive so Mav is definitely smoother and much quieter on the road. Ranger had the power but Mavs mileage is definitely better. All in all I definitely prefer the Maverick to my old Ranger.

Bill Quattlebaum

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Ranger XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Update to my earlier reply. After driving my 2024 Maverick XL for about 1,700 miles, I can say the handling, ride, and mileage are much better than my old Rangers. My 2010 Ranger averaged 21.6 miles per gallon. The Maverick Ecoboost is averaging 28.2 so far. Power is over 100 horsepower more in the Maverick.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As one of the few guys on this forum who owned multiple single-cab old-style Rangers, I'll say the Maverick is definitely bigger and turns like a whale in comparison. My last Ranger was 189" long (and I thought that was a bit too big when I owned it). The Maverick is almost a foot longer, and it shows when you try to make a right turn on a double-parked city street. Can't do it. The Maverick is three inches longer than a Telluride.

Other than that, the Maverick blows my old Rangers out of the water. I would never go back. But I would dump my Maverick in an eye blink for a smaller truck. But I seem to be the odd man out on MTC, as pretty much everyone else here loves the crew cab configuration. Which I find odd. Because I pass several Mavericks every day. And there is always one person in the cab. Well sometimes there are two people. Exactly once in at least a thousand sightings I saw four.

Reactions: fmt

deej

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick 2.0 Lariat, AWD, 4K, Lux, BAP, HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

there is always one person in the cab. Well sometimes there are two people. Exactly once in at least a thousand sightings I saw four.
The back seat is for the dog! :)

-Dj

Sponsored

Fcnrwy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I also had three Rangers..
1985 Ranger "S"
Ford Maverick People who had a Ranger before the Maverick SVOPUS 1990 small

1994 XLT
Ford Maverick People who had a Ranger before the Maverick Pups_2007

and a 2008 XL
Ford Maverick People who had a Ranger before the Maverick Opus2 bath Dec23 2019 (2)

Enjoyed owning ALL of Them!! :giggle:

Times have changed and I gotta roll with the changes... ;)
One of the little things that I don't miss.. Was the "Ranger Roll" at high speeds...
The Mav's wider track, took care of that...

Jerry

Glen Baker LLC

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1993 White extended cab Ranger XLT
4.0 v6 auto, a/c, cruise, AM/FM cassette.
Love that truck.
Rear main bearing leak was the reason I sold it.

GB
I wanted the 4 door Ranger, Ford was selling in Mexico.

Ford Maverick People who had a Ranger before the Maverick Screenshot_2024-06-08-21-44-49-90_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12

Zed79

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here are the 3 my wife daily drove over the years. the 93 stx had over 300k in 2021 when my daughter had the head gasket go out and did not stop. The 2005 has 320k in my drive way.
I also had a 1998 sport dark blue with the step side bed 4cyl 5 speed sold it when I got a deal on a low mile 98 ram club cab 2500 that had a dash fire and farm smells, had to replace the interior to sort that one out but than ran it to 383k before it started burning oil at about a quart a tank of gas.

Ford Maverick People who had a Ranger before the Maverick IMG_0561.JPG

Ford Maverick People who had a Ranger before the Maverick 1993 stx

Ford Maverick People who had a Ranger before the Maverick IMG_1365[1].JPG

Bilbo_B

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT 2022 2.0 L Ford Escape 2017
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The back seat is for the dog! :)

-Dj
Please tell that to our two who either hang on the console or sneak to the driver's seat when I get out for ... just....one....second.

Joeneonturbo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Dodge SRT-4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We owned a 99 jalapeño green ranger XLT up until 2022 when I sold it for the maverick. It’s had 253k miles and we drove it everywhere. No issues, just maintenance. 3.0 flex fuel V6 that had no power, drove slow, felt like a boat in choppy waters- but I loved it. The gas mileage was terrible: 16-18mpg. I figured it was time for an upgrade before things started breaking. I was also looking for some modern conveniences.
Ford Maverick People who had a Ranger before the Maverick IMG_4212
Sponsored