First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 F350, '15 Mazda 6,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The first Ranger I had was a 1988 bare bones, 4cyl., carbureted (!), 5 speed, with zero options. Didn't even have a radio. Great little truck I drove everywhere. The 2nd one was a 1994 extended cab with the fold down side-ways seats in the back for the boys to ride in. 4.0 V6 auto 2wd. Pulled a camper with it and it did great. Then we got the F350 and a bigger camper. Now I'm really going to enjoy the Hybrid Maverick's gas mileage since most of my driving is around town...but not for another week or so.
Sponsored

flynomore

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 F350, '15 Mazda 6,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agree with @Edogg1 and @Phinney Ridge Dave . I had a 1996 Ranger with the 2.3 and 5-speed, then a 2005 FX4. Great trucks. The Maverick really is the TRUE successor to the original Ranger! To the OP, you'll find the Ranger and Mav are very comparable in size. Honestly can't go wrong with either.

IMG_2904.jpg

20190504_171748.jpg
Great looking trucks!!

OP
OP
Flub

Flub

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 08
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had a 94 Ranger with 353,750 miles at trade in for my Maverick, crew cab, 5-speed 2.3L. The Ranger had a split bench seat with a pivoting console that could fold back or serve as an arm rest.

When my two sons were much younger I would occasionally take them to school and other places in my Ranger. Probably wasn’t safe for my younger son who only had a lap belt.

The Maverick obviously has the two bucket seats instead of a bench seat in the front so it’s hard to make a direct comparison, but I definitely feel very comfortable in the driver seat. Agree with the other posters that Maverick bears a close resemblance to the original Ranger, which was a big factor for me to get one.

By the way, love your avatar.
Thanks it reminds me not to be a dick online! Now I just need an icon for traffic...

Incidentally gotta prep my 08 xlt 4x4 tow package for sale this summer. I have to fix the ABS sensor that stole my breaks (removed the fuse as a band aid), grind and paint the body rust, double check the frame is still solid (it was last year), and get a new windshield. Gonna miss it in a way. Not gonna miss my wife calling it the "sketch truck" (it isn't)

The Flush

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Hybrid Lariat Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I sold my '99 Ranger 4WD Supercab back when gas reached $2.50 the first time and got a used Corolla. Wish I had kept the Ranger. I forgot how many miles the Ranger had on it, but it was well over 100K.

I haven't bought a tank of gas yet since I bought my 23 Maverick AWD XLT last week to calculate my mileage. The trip odometer estimates 26MPG with more city miles than I will usually drive. I figure it will get almost 10 MPG more than the Ranger on my normal commute. They are about the same size with the Maverick swapping bed space for cab space. Maverick certainly is nicer overall.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick is the true new Ranger if you compare it to the classic Ranger.

Sponsored

Stovebolt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 Volkswagen
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Owned old-model Rangers 1984 4cyl 4-spd with actual overdrive, 1995 4cyl 5-spd, and 2007 4 cyl 5-spd --that's 39 years behind the wheel of Ford's cheapest pickups. Always utilitarian, daily drivers and even towed a pair of ATVs from KY to Michigan's Silver Lake sand dunes. The Maverick XLT ecoboost rides better, drives better and is more powerful than any of my past Rangers. Agree with others that I would expect improvements from a modern vehicle. Time will tell how the new technology performs over time.

Exranger

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 EB FX4 4K Tow LAR LUX Area 51 RCVD 4/27/23
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I had a 94 Ranger with 353,750 miles at trade in for my Maverick, crew cab, 5-speed 2.3L. The Ranger had a split bench seat with a pivoting console that could fold back or serve as an arm rest.

When my two sons were much younger I would occasionally take them to school and other places in my Ranger. Probably wasn’t safe for my younger son who only had a lap belt.

The Maverick obviously has the two bucket seats instead of a bench seat in the front so it’s hard to make a direct comparison, but I definitely feel very comfortable in the driver seat. Agree with the other posters that Maverick bears a close resemblance to the original Ranger, which was a big factor for me to get one.

By the way, love your avatar.
Bought a 98 ranger new 2.5 5 speed . Took my kids to school too. Put all my change in the pocket below the slider and they would raid it on the way. Great truck put 250 k on it gave to my son and has 300 k now.. what a project to buy a maverick, just wanting it is not enough. May get it next month, built this week. Looking forward to it. Hope it is as reliable the old one!

shadow76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bought a 98 ranger new 2.5 5 speed . Took my kids to school too. Put all my change in the pocket below the slider and they would raid it on the way. Great truck put 250 k on it gave to my son and has 300 k now.. what a project to buy a maverick, just wanting it is not enough. May get it next month, built this week. Looking forward to it. Hope it is as reliable the old one!
Also bought a new 98 Ranger 2.5, 2WD manual. A family member is using the pickup now and she just turned 300k. Still on the original clutch.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I owned several Rangers over the years, some I worked and played very hard with in my younger days. Excellent trucks. The Maverick delivered on utility and initially proved to be a great commuter with the hybrid's mileage. Unfortunately, my experience with the Maverick became one of much less reliability and frustrating ownership.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I test drove the Mav and then bought the Ranger. The interior space is quite comparable. Look at the specs between the two and they aren’t much different at all. I’m a big 6’ tall guy and both were quite comfortable.
That's the new Ranger. My '95 was smaller than then my Mav.

Sponsored

MYMAVXL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
....drove Rangers for ~30 years. They were simple reliable vehicles that matched my needs. Mostly just me in the vehicle and occasionally using the truck bed for light duties. I will be using the Maverick for similar. Nicest part of the Maverick is that with AWD there is no worries about getting stuck in snow, however the rest of it was designed for fairer climates. Clearing the wiper well of ice and snow is worst ever (to do a proper job you have to lift the engine hood), have to remove gloves to operate almost everything (I miss the big knobs and handles). Make sure you clear the bumper shelf of snow and ice because when dropping the tail gate you are going to crush the bottom the tail gate. Can you tell I am tired of winter...

The Maverick is truly a much nicer vehicle but all the electronic gadgets that are mostly nice when new may be a big concern in a few years... we'll see. I bought mine off the lot so no choice in accessories but I would trade my moon roof, power windows, locks, seats and video screen for heated wiper well, mirrors and seat...and a few large knobs to operate the climate control.
My daughter bought me a pair of gloves that work with the touchscreen…she got them at Costco. I’m miles away from the Mav so can’t take a pic, but a quick Amazon search with “touchscreen gloves” will show you plenty…

CrazyLady74

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Beverly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We bought a 2023 Ranger last May 2023 and traded it for the 2023 Maverick in Nov 2023. Much happier with the Maverick!

ianjay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Hybrid , 2008 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had an 83, two 90's and currently have a 2008 Ranger. I find getting into the Maverick easier - the 2008 has a high floor step over compared to the Maverick (the previous Ranger cabs did not have this issue). I don't intend to sell the 2008 yet but may do so after the new wears off. My 2008 has been thoroughly rustproofed so is solid.
The Maverick rides better, sips gas, and has lots of gadgets, but I'm sure I will regret it if I sell the old truck!

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have a 2021 Ranger FX4 Lariat my wife has the 2022 Maverick Lariat hybrid. She loves the Maverick but I prefer driving my Ranger. Don’t get me wrong the Maverick drives nice and is a very capable truck. I just prefer my Ranger.

Phinney Ridge Dave

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 MB GLK 250 Bluetec 4matic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I owned several Rangers over the years, some I worked and played very hard with in my younger days. Excellent trucks. The Maverick delivered on utility and initially proved to be a great commuter with the hybrid's mileage. Unfortunately, my experience with the Maverick became one of much less reliability and frustrating ownership.
I hear that ... and agree to an extent that is constrained by the many considerations of comparing today's needs with those of a quarter century ago.

Frustration? ... definitely ... but that has lessened significantly after the 299-day wait on delivery. But, yeah ... still have some issues to deal with ....

Reliability? ... well, 6-recalls & 1-CSP later seems a net positive to me, but I'll need another 100K miles to make that judgement ...

Anyway, taking the 'high-level' view comparing the value, (i.e. safety, economy, utility, reliability, etc.) of the og Ranger THEN, to the Maverick NOW, it's still a decision I'm happy with ...
Sponsored