Sponsored

Passenger seatbelt keeps locking up once on.

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone else's Mavericks passenger side seatbelt lock up when someone is sitting in the passenger seat with their seatbelt on, then if they try to lean forward to pick something up off the dash or grab something out of the glove box, it locks and holds them in place?

On my car, the driver seatbelt is fine and I can lean forward and move around no problem but even when the passenger SLOWLY tries to move forward, it always locks up.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be caused by or how to fix it? Or is it something the dealer would have to take care of.
Sponsored

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
test it a couple times. Seat belts are designed to lock up after a fast motion. Make sure it has fully retracted before using it.

OP
OP

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
test it a couple times. Seat belts are designed to lock up after a fast motion. Make sure it has fully retracted before using it.
Yeah, I've tried. I do know that seatbelts lock up after fast motion but the passenger belt doesn't have ANY play at all once it's buckled in even if you move extremely slowly.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, I've tried. I do know that seatbelts lock up after fast motion but the passenger belt doesn't have ANY play at all once it's buckled in even if you move extremely slowly.
I would take it in and get the dealer to check it out. This should be a quick and easy replacement. I don't think the dealer will want to argue with a potential safety issue.

Johnny “Ray” Thigpen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nautilus Black Label, 2021 Nautilus Reserve
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would take it in and get the dealer to check it out. This should be a quick and easy replacement. I don't think the dealer will want to argue with a potential safety issue.
If the person using the belt pulls it out to a certain point before fastening, it will have this effect.
They are designed so you can secure your drunk buddy, or significant other, in place on Saturday nights.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the person using the belt pulls it out to a certain point before fastening, it will have this effect.
They are designed so you can secure your drunk buddy, or significant other, in place on Saturday nights.
Strange, I've owned 12+ cars and none of them did this.

Johnny “Ray” Thigpen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Strange, I've owned 12+ cars and none of them did this.
Last 20 I have owned, did (if as I describEd). Should be able to google and find out approximately what year it started. I know since early to mid 90’s.
Go to your vehicle, pull the passenger seat belt all the way out, fasten and let it take up the slack. You will not be able to retrieve anything from the dash. Also if the vehicle is moving (and just slightly bumping) before the passenger attempts to fasten the seat belt, they will not be able to fasten and if they do it will keep them pulled against the seat.

OP
OP

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Last 20 I have owned, did (if as I describEd). Should be able to google and find out approximately what year it started. I know since early to mid 90’s.
Go to your vehicle, pull the passenger seat belt all the way out, fasten and let it take up the slack. You will not be able to retrieve anything from the dash. Also if the vehicle is moving (and just slightly bumping) before the passenger attempts to fasten the seat belt, they will not be able to fasten and if they do it will keep them pulled against the seat.
I’m still stumped. When my passengers get in, they don’t pull the seatbelt all the way out before buckling, they just put it on as usual. I’m aware that in a normal situation on any other car, if the passenger has their seatbelt on and if they move forward too quickly or if I brake hard, then the seatbelt WILL lock. But in my situation, it locks up after being buckled no matter what and wont allow movement of any kind.

I've owned a 2018 Corolla, 2011 Lincoln Towncar, 06 Ford Ranger, 05 BMW 3 series, 05 Corolla, 1999 Mercedes, and so on, and I've never had this happen with the passenger seatbelt.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Check your manual--it has a page all about this.

Johnny “Ray” Thigpen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m still stumped. When my passengers get in, they don’t pull the seatbelt all the way out before buckling, they just put it on as usual. I’m aware that in a normal situation on any other car, if the passenger has their seatbelt on and if they move forward too quickly or if I brake hard, then the seatbelt WILL lock. But in my situation, it locks up after being buckled no matter what and wont allow movement of any kind.

I've owned a 2018 Corolla, 2011 Lincoln Towncar, 06 Ford Ranger, 05 BMW 3 series, 05 Corolla, 1999 Mercedes, and so on, and I've never had this happen with the passenger seatbelt.
Yeah, if you just pull it straight down next to your body and latch and it still locks with slow movement, you have a problem.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
👍 On 2012 CR-V also. Must pull belt slowly out without stopping particularly if car is in motion. Have to retract all the way in order to be able to pull it further out.

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Oxford White
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry I didn't see this post earlier.

It's called an ALR (Automatic Lock Retractor) or Child Seat Mechanism.

All seating positions except the drive have in North America.

Pull the webbing all the way out and it locks so you can tighten it up on a child seat.

Let the webbing back in to unlock it.

Some vehicles lock sooner that others. My wife Taurus used to lock me in whenever I leaned forward. Having the seat forward makes it more likely to lock as the webbing comes out of the pillar and doesn't move forward with the seat.

Pulling the webbing out fast also will lock it. Another feature for different reasons
Sponsored