Paint cure

Lyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
I read some say that the paint on your truck will not be fully cured when you take it home, and to not run to the car wash and such. So how long does it take for the curing to take place, I already feel like I’m watching paint dry while waiting for the damn thing to get built.
Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I read some say that the paint on your truck will not be fully cured when you take it home, and to not run to the car wash and such. So how long does it take for the curing to take place, I already feel like I’m watching paint dry while waiting for the damn thing to get built.
Drying paint is probably 30-90 days process but not a big deal.
Washing is not going to hurt anything...adding a ceramic coating, or claybarring the paint would probably not be a good idea until 2 or 3 months, etc. Your Maverick will probably be 45 days old when you receive it.

Edit (7/20/22): It is very easy to check with a "Paint thickness Gauge". Any professional body shop has one, and as I suspected, when asking about a ceramic coating, PROs told me it is safer to wait 60->90 days, or you may diminish the "clear coat protection," especially doing a clay bar.

Last edited:

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They already built hybrids don't have this issue!

Speed2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX Sportwagon
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I remember my dad telling me something like this when he bought a new station wagon in 1967. I dont think this is true anymore, I have been installing PPF on brand new cars at dealerships for the last 20 years. Wash, claybar, and waxed before the film goes on is standard practice.

WJOHNM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox, redline. XLT,AWD,4KTOW,FX4 ,CO PILOT360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Drying paint is probably 30-90 days process but not a big deal.
Washing is not going to hurt anything...adding a ceramic coating, or claybarring the paint would probably not be a good idea until 2 or 3 months, etc. Your Maverick will probably be 45 days old when you receive it.
I agree I managed a high line dealers' body for many years even after being baked the paint won't be fully cured for 30/60 days. washing is good for it but no wax or poshing for 30/60 days. If you have a good eye, you will see the texture of the orange peel flatten out in time. Wash away and try to stay away from car wash that first 30 days if possible. I know that's hard in winter months. Am glad in a way they just sent me that dreaded email my vehicle build is delayed to April. NO SNOW

Sponsored

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Nunyabiznus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cyber Orange Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
with new tech. in paint, you can wash and wax in just a few days

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree I managed a high line dealers' body for many years even after being baked the paint won't be fully cured for 30/60 days. washing is good for it but no wax or poshing for 30/60 days. If you have a good eye, you will see the texture of the orange peel flatten out in time. Wash away and try to stay away from car wash that first 30 days if possible. I know that's hard in winter months. Am glad in a way they just sent me that dreaded email my vehicle build is delayed to April. NO SNOW
I've had the same experience. Having rebuilt several (8) antique European sport cars, including painting them. Have a paint meter to measure the depth of paint and you can see the difference in 30, 60 + days after 60+ days you can see the orange peel disappear. Most car paints today are water based and are going to take time for chemicals to solidify.

sn00pyguy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sn00pyguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had the same experience. Having rebuilt several (8) antique European sport cars, including painting them. Have a paint meter to measure the depth of paint and you can see the difference in 30, 60 + days after 60+ days you can see the orange peel disappear. Most car paints today are water based and are going to take time for chemicals to solidify.
What is this "orange peel" thing you are refering to?
Sponsored