First Name
Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' HD Road Glide, 22’ Sporster S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The dealership owns the truck until you sign the paperwork. No way would I let my insurance be involved.

I would hold off signing paperwork until the truck is fixed to your satisfaction.

Since it now damaged and the value has dropped I would negotiate a lower price now that it has been in an accident.
Sponsored

OP
OP

HiHo_Silver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT - Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The dealership owns the truck until you sign the paperwork. No way would I let my insurance be involved.

I would hold off signing paperwork until the truck is fixed to your satisfaction.

Since it now damaged and the value has dropped I would negotiate a lower price now that it has been in an accident.
I wouldn’t even call my insurance. I’d give the kids insurance info to the dealer and let those two worry about it.

Now if it was your fault, yeah I would call your insurance and get the dealers vehicle fixed for them.

In no way is the vehicle yours, and you don’t have to buy it.
We were so close to the dealership that we drove into their lot and exchanged information. The person that hit me admitted fault in front of the salesman. But the salesman wanted nothing to do with collecting information.

So my question is - should I be filing the claim against their insurance company or should the dealer be filing the claim?

Kelli

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kelli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Contact an attorney to get the proper answer for your location and go from there. Best of luck

OP
OP

HiHo_Silver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT - Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you sir, that is a truly honest answer.

I do want it as long as the driving alignment has not been compromised. I am waiting for their shop to tell me if there is any frame or carriage damage. The only thing I may ask for, that I think is reasonable. is if the bed wrinkles can be straightened maybe a bed liner so I don't have to see any imperfections.

Sponsored

Oggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First call your agent, tell them what happened. The impact to your rate is going to happen no matter what because of the police report.

Second is your decision, but I would wait for the repair to decide if it were my truck or not. If their body shop does a good enough job fixing it, go for it, if not find something else, or reorder. Ultimately don’t be bullied into buying it “because”. Shit happens, this isn’t the first time this has, and it won’t be the last.

Fastbackjon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0, 18 Flex, 20 Edge, 21 Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After waiting 11 months and 1 day, my Maverick Hybrid XLT was ready for me. It was beautiful, had 3.4 miles on it. The salesman suggested I take it for a drive while he finished getting the paperwork together. My wife and I went down the nearby freeway to the next exit and turned around to come back to the dealership. I stopped at a yield sign on the service road (less than 1/2 mile from dealership) and was rear ended by a kid in a jeep. Bumper, tailgate and bed wrinkled. Fortunately the kid has insurance. So the Maverick I ordered is in the body shop with 8 miles on it.

But here is where I need advice from this forum... I haven't signed anything yet to take possession. So I thought the dealer would pursue the insurance claim, but they think I should do this since it is my order. Can I even collect insurance for repairs on a car that was not titled to me? Should I be paying full MSRP on a car that has been in an accident and the trade-in value is diminished? Or should I wait until after it is repaired and test drive it again before taking it?

20220608_105111.jpg

20220608_111323.jpg
Like many have posters said- call your agent/customer rep with the situation. Every state is different. Dont sign anything or agree with anyone. You pay your premiums to an insurance company as part of the agents/customer rep salary- as well as the corporate lawyer chain- so put your money to work and call them for guidance. Feel bad for the situation but dont compound it.

4dadof4

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
I’d say they’d be happy to take it back, they’ll repair it and make a premium, due to high demand. Or you could take ownership, sell it, and order another.

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just refuse it, let the dealership process the insurance claim and walk away. Not worth the headache in the now and future.

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After waiting 11 months and 1 day, my Maverick Hybrid XLT was ready for me. It was beautiful, had 3.4 miles on it. The salesman suggested I take it for a drive while he finished getting the paperwork together. My wife and I went down the nearby freeway to the next exit and turned around to come back to the dealership. I stopped at a yield sign on the service road (less than 1/2 mile from dealership) and was rear ended by a kid in a jeep. Bumper, tailgate and bed wrinkled. Fortunately the kid has insurance. So the Maverick I ordered is in the body shop with 8 miles on it.

But here is where I need advice from this forum... I haven't signed anything yet to take possession. So I thought the dealer would pursue the insurance claim, but they think I should do this since it is my order. Can I even collect insurance for repairs on a car that was not titled to me? Should I be paying full MSRP on a car that has been in an accident and the trade-in value is diminished? Or should I wait until after it is repaired and test drive it again before taking it?

20220608_105111.jpg

20220608_111323.jpg
Definitely still the dealership’s car. I would let them mess with the kid’s insurance and let them sell a wrecked car to someone else. Wouldn’t buy.

Sponsored

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We were so close to the dealership that we drove into their lot and exchanged information. The person that hit me admitted fault in front of the salesman. But the salesman wanted nothing to do with collecting information.

So my question is - should I be filing the claim against their insurance company or should the dealer be filing the claim?
The dealer. It is their truck.

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Jeeps. The ancient enemy of the Mav!

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

even if kid verbally admitted fault, typically insurance companies make final determination after reviewing police & witness reports and doing their own investigation. I have been on both ends of this during my lifetime.

couple things to consider:

did the kid show proof of insurance and valid drivers license at any point? If he isn't actually insured or licensed it could get messy.

will the repairs and accident show up on a Carfax report at a later date? If you end up keeping it wth repairs, it could show up on a Carfax report at a later date as having been in an accident and may affect resale?
Sponsored