First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT - Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After waiting 11 months and 1 day, my Maverick Hybrid XLT was ready for me. It was beautiful, had 3.4 miles on it. The salesman suggested I take it for a drive while he finished getting the paperwork together. My wife and I went down the nearby freeway to the next exit and turned around to come back to the dealership. I stopped at a yield sign on the service road (less than 1/2 mile from dealership) and was rear ended by a kid in a jeep. Bumper, tailgate and bed wrinkled. Fortunately the kid has insurance. So the Maverick I ordered is in the body shop with 8 miles on it.

But here is where I need advice from this forum... I haven't signed anything yet to take possession. So I thought the dealer would pursue the insurance claim, but they think I should do this since it is my order. Can I even collect insurance for repairs on a car that was not titled to me? Should I be paying full MSRP on a car that has been in an accident and the trade-in value is diminished? Or should I wait until after it is repaired and test drive it again before taking it?

Ford Maverick Only got to drive it 4.6 miles 20220608_105111

Ford Maverick Only got to drive it 4.6 miles 20220608_111323
Sponsored

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your insurance will cover damage that occurred while you were driving someone else's vehicle.
So, yes, you can claim.
A dealer always copies your license before letting you test drive, but I've never had one ask me to prove that I had insurance. I don't know who typically pays for test drive damage.

Sponsored

Dadmezz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You have the right to decline it.

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I feel bad for you, but i'm not sure in your state if it's different or not that your insurance should cover anything you drive. The question is if you want to take the truck or not as I believe it could be turned down if you don't want it (dealer should not make you pay anything, their insurance would cover it too). I know it's damaged, but can be repaired and you have waited awhile to get it - it's a tough choice only you can answer.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
I'm not a lawyer. The truck belongs to the dealership. Why should you pay for repairs?

Would they expect you to pay for repairs if it was damaged coming off the truck?

What about if it was damaged by hail the morning before you went to pick it up?

Makes no sense.

Not my pig, not my farm.

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not a lawyer. The truck belongs to the dealership. Why should you pay for repairs?

Would they expect you to pay for repairs if it was damaged coming off the truck?

What about if it was damaged by hail the morning before you went to pick it up?

Makes no sense.

Not my pig, not my farm.
Similar to if you were test driving one of their vehicles I suppose.

Sponsored

n0maverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tiguan, 2022 Maverick, 2013 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Were you at fault? Stopping at a yeild sign? That sucks no matter how you slice it.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
He WAS test driving "one of their vehicles". It's still their vehicle. So, they need to fix it and then he should have an opportunity to buy it if he wants to.

Similar to if you were test driving one of their vehicles I suppose.

n0maverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tiguan, 2022 Maverick, 2013 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Stopped to yield to oncoming traffic, clearly not my fault.
ah sorry. read it as stopping when yielding onto freeway. either way what a mess to deal with.

Jville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Ecoboost awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After waiting 11 months and 1 day, my Maverick Hybrid XLT was ready for me. It was beautiful, had 3.4 miles on it. The salesman suggested I take it for a drive while he finished getting the paperwork together. My wife and I went down the nearby freeway to the next exit and turned around to come back to the dealership. I stopped at a yield sign on the service road (less than 1/2 mile from dealership) and was rear ended by a kid in a jeep. Bumper, tailgate and bed wrinkled. Fortunately the kid has insurance. So the Maverick I ordered is in the body shop with 8 miles on it.

But here is where I need advice from this forum... I haven't signed anything yet to take possession. So I thought the dealer would pursue the insurance claim, but they think I should do this since it is my order. Can I even collect insurance for repairs on a car that was not titled to me? Should I be paying full MSRP on a car that has been in an accident and the trade-in value is diminished? Or should I wait until after it is repaired and test drive it again before taking it?

20220608_105111.jpg

20220608_111323.jpg
I have heard, but don't take it as the gospel, that dealer repairs to untitled vehicles do not get reported. If so, and repairs are unnoticeable, no harm done. Otherwise go for diminished value from the smartphone-distracted kid's insurance.
Sponsored