First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Expedtn, 17PriusV,22 Mavrk XLT hybridHPR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your insurance will cover damage that occurred while you were driving someone else's vehicle.
So, yes, you can claim.
A dealer always copies your license before letting you test drive, but I've never had one ask me to prove that I had insurance. I don't know who typically pays for test drive damage.
Nah, your insurance will NOT cover damage to someone else's vehicle.
Coverage for this accident would depend on determining who actually owned the vehicle when the accident happened. So if it was technically owned by the dealership at that point, then their coverage would pick up the accident. If the insurance company determined that yes, title had passed to the purchaser, then their insurance would PROBABLY cover it (depends on if they had automatic coverage for new vehicle, or if they were trading in one for the other, or if they had requested that their agent add the new Maverick to the policy...)
The only exception to this insurance answer would be if you had a Commercial Auto policy with Drive Other Car - Physical Damage coverage.
You had to know on a thread of (nerdy) Maverick owners there would be a life long insurance guy or two, right????
Sponsored

Kent maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello HiHo Silver,
You are going to think this is crazy but...I bought a 22 Ford Maverick only a few weeks ago that was on order for 4 months. I got rear ended, by a kid in his dads Jeep Gladiator. He was fiddling with a cell phone and when the police arrived he said he was using it with bluetooth. Anyway, hope you guys are ok. My hit was pretty hard and I'm feeling it today.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Nah, your insurance will NOT cover damage to someone else's vehicle.
Coverage for this accident would depend on determining who actually owned the vehicle when the accident happened. So if it was technically owned by the dealership at that point, then their coverage would pick up the accident. If the insurance company determined that yes, title had passed to the purchaser, then their insurance would PROBABLY cover it (depends on if they had automatic coverage for new vehicle, or if they were trading in one for the other, or if they had requested that their agent add the new Maverick to the policy...)
The only exception to this insurance answer would be if you had a Commercial Auto policy with Drive Other Car - Physical Damage coverage.
You had to know on a thread of (nerdy) Maverick owners there would be a life long insurance guy or two, right????
Call your agent and ask. IF you have full coverage, it will cover any properly licensed vehicle that you drive.
How else can YOUR insurance on YOUR car cover a rental? It will also cover you if you're driving someone else's car.

Sponsored

OP
OP

HiHo_Silver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT - Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did you end up obtaining a different Maverick?
The dealer and Ford did not want to help me find a replacement for the 2022. I put an order in for a 2023 Maverick at 2 different dealerships when the ordering process opened again. Haven't had anything scheduled yet.

Still waiting or just putting it out of my mind for the time being. I might place another order for the 2024 when the order banks open again. But since the price keeps going up, that will be my last swing at the plate; 3 strikes and I am out.

UpNorthBuckeye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Expedtn, 17PriusV,22 Mavrk XLT hybridHPR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Call your agent and ask. IF you have full coverage, it will cover any properly licensed vehicle that you drive.
How else can YOUR insurance on YOUR car cover a rental? It will also cover you if you're driving someone else's car.
I'm retired, but one thing I don't miss about being in the insurance business is when other people tried to tell me how it worked.
The only other vehicle normally covered by your insurance (for damage to the vehicle) is a temporary substitute vehicle - i.e., a loaner or a rental while your car is being repaired or serviced.
That's basically it.
But yes, call your agent. He/she can help you get this sorted out and possibly help you get things resolved another way.

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2.0 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After waiting 11 months and 1 day, my Maverick Hybrid XLT was ready for me. It was beautiful, had 3.4 miles on it. The salesman suggested I take it for a drive while he finished getting the paperwork together. My wife and I went down the nearby freeway to the next exit and turned around to come back to the dealership. I stopped at a yield sign on the service road (less than 1/2 mile from dealership) and was rear ended by a kid in a jeep. Bumper, tailgate and bed wrinkled. Fortunately the kid has insurance. So the Maverick I ordered is in the body shop with 8 miles on it.

But here is where I need advice from this forum... I haven't signed anything yet to take possession. So I thought the dealer would pursue the insurance claim, but they think I should do this since it is my order. Can I even collect insurance for repairs on a car that was not titled to me? Should I be paying full MSRP on a car that has been in an accident and the trade-in value is diminished? Or should I wait until after it is repaired and test drive it again before taking it?

20220608_105111.jpg

20220608_111323.jpg
At the moment the accident took place
WHO’S truck was it?
Yours? NO
The accident happened to THEIR truck
In any event, what a terrible experience.

OP
OP

HiHo_Silver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT - Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes it was their truck. But I had an order & deposit pending for a truck and I am disappointed that the dealership or Ford made no effort to replace my order.

Sponsored

glider

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4runner 2019 Honda civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After waiting 11 months and 1 day, my Maverick Hybrid XLT was ready for me. It was beautiful, had 3.4 miles on it. The salesman suggested I take it for a drive while he finished getting the paperwork together. My wife and I went down the nearby freeway to the next exit and turned around to come back to the dealership. I stopped at a yield sign on the service road (less than 1/2 mile from dealership) and was rear ended by a kid in a jeep. Bumper, tailgate and bed wrinkled. Fortunately the kid has insurance. So the Maverick I ordered is in the body shop with 8 miles on it.

But here is where I need advice from this forum... I haven't signed anything yet to take possession. So I thought the dealer would pursue the insurance claim, but they think I should do this since it is my order. Can I even collect insurance for repairs on a car that was not titled to me? Should I be paying full MSRP on a car that has been in an accident and the trade-in value is diminished? Or should I wait until after it is repaired and test drive it again before taking it?

20220608_105111.jpg

20220608_111323.jpg
If you don't own the truck, title in your name, then the dealer is the owner and has to deal with it.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you don't own the truck, title in your name, then the dealer is the owner and has to deal with it.
I hope they did deal with the damaged Maverick by now because the post was from June of last year. However, they did not deal with finding a suitable alternative Maverick to sell to @HiHo_Silver.
Sponsored