Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Just back from dealership. I've always bought my new vehicles in for initial oil change around 3k. (Just can't wrap my head around 10k oil changes.) Service desk actually pushed back, emphasizing how the oil and fluids have advanced in physical properties. I insisted, for peace of mind.
Anybody else, that isn't a do-it-yourselfer, had similar experiences?
Sponsored

Gpp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Did my first oil change at 1200 miles.3000 miles apart as long as i have it!but i do it my self.too each his own preference when they service there vehicles!

CajunMick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Heman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Vehicle has 1200 miLes. Got sample report. Metals and silicone, which is expected. But viscosity low. And no evidence of fuel dilution. My concern is viscosity.

I habitually change oil each spring and fall. Fresh oil for hot summer here in S Texas, and after summer mileage, fresh for winter. So, plan oil change soon.

After this initial change plan to do another sample at ~5k miles and decide if do another oil change.

Sponsored

CajunMick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Heman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just back from dealership. I've always bought my new vehicles in for initial oil change around 3k. (Just can't wrap my head around 10k oil changes.) Service desk actually pushed back, emphasizing how the oil and fluids have advanced in physical properties. I insisted, for peace of mind.
Yep. I typically like to do initial oil change soonest to get wear metals and other contaminants out. Dealer says not necessary. I implied I’m paying for it, want it done anyway. And if I have the oil analysis report, which I usually have, flash that to him.

Iceman23

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Speaking of oil changes at the dealership, I had mine done while it was in for a warranty issue.

On my FordPass app, it showed that the oil life was at 67%.
They told me they changed the oil, filter, rotated tires, and topped off all the fluids. However, my FordPass app is still showing 67% oil life. I’m also 99.9% sure the tires weren’t rotated, which at 3,000 miles I care less about. But, should the oil life indicator be at or near 100% if in fact it was changed?

OP
OP
24MavPuy

24MavPuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I used my Ford points to pay for the oil change. (Never leave free $ on the table. ) 😉

OP
OP
24MavPuy

24MavPuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Speaking of oil changes at the dealership, I had mine done while it was in for a warranty issue.

They told me they changed the oil, filter, rotated tires, and topped off all the fluids. However, my FordPass app is still showing 67% oil life. I’m also 99.9% sure the tires weren’t rotated, which at 3,000 miles I care less about. But, should the oil life indicator be at or near 100% if in fact it was changed?
Not sure how that oil sensor works. My system showed 100% after oil change. I wonder if it needs reset by the tech or if it resets itself.?

Steve Urquell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did my first EB change ~3,300 miles and do them at 5,000mi now. I've let exactly one engine be totally serviced by the dealer only at recommended service intervals and it is also the only engine I've ever had fail prematurely at 60,000 miles.

Makes me wonder if I had done it myself if it would have had a different outcome.

Sponsored

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

They apparently forgot to reset the Oil Life Monitor.

Bring it up in your instrument cluster.
Hold down OK on the steering wheel, to reset the OLM.

Exranger

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 EB FX4 4K Tow LAR LUX Area 51 RCVD 4/27/23
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Did first oil change at 2500 with 3% oil life left. After it said due in 1000 miles next march. I don’t drive much! It is at 99% 2 weeks later. It was easy but fx4 plate had a bunch of fasteners, not all the same. Did it on a lift at my friend’s euro auto shop.

ndmiller

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Azure Blue Metallic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have(d) multiple Lexus vehicles each driving 80-150K miles doing 10K oil changes as Lexus puts in their maintenance guide. I have had or no no-one who has had any issues or data suggesting Lexus was not 100% correct in their recommendation.

BUT if it's what you want to do, just do it, don't ask the internet if you're wasting money, because you are and that's your prerogative.

FWIW, I've never bought an American branded vehicle before the Maverick due to reliability concerns. Were my concerns founded, sure based on some specific stories or nightmares I heard when I was in my 20's. Since buying the Maverick, I hear the same stories but ignore them, because I chose to buy one. Will I ever buy another US legacy branded vehicle.....Probably not and I certainly wouldn't ask the internet as they would tell me I'm stupid/crazy.

dlhort1955

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You did the right thing. Engine is breaking in and you want to remove metal filings and the other fluids they used to put the engine together. Now you have fresh clean oil and a new filter in. Peace of mind.
Sponsored