Sponsored

Never owned a Ford with tech. When can I use FordPass?

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
even if you don't have a facebook account, facebook has a profile on you. they do it because someone you know has a facebook account, and you're phone number is saved.

you're phone collects way more data than you know. I'm not here trying to be all tin hat conspiracy guy or anything, I'm just saying that more is going on than you know is going on.
Essh.... This makes me feel ookey. I guess technically you can turn it off, but they can still harvest it when it's serviced.

Anyone else uncomfortable about driving a vehicle where they recommend "Inform passengers and other drivers of the vehicle that Connected Vehicle Information is being collected and used by us and our service providers."

Or "Information about the usage of vehicle features, services, and technology (such as which features are used), and information about what is listened to in the vehicle (such as radio presets, volume, channels, media sources, title, artist, and genre)."?

😬

I guess we know how they're getting the Ford connect even on base trim... They're selling our data...

https://www.ford.com/help/privacy/#connectedvehicleprivacy
Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
From the manual.
"The modem has a SIM. The
modem was enabled when your
vehicle was built and periodically
sends messages to stay connected to the
cell phone network, receive automatic
software updates and send vehicle-related
information to us, for example diagnostic
information. These messages could
include information that identifies your
vehicle, the SIM and the electronic serial
number of the modem. Cell phone network
service providers could have access to
additional information, for example cell
phone network tower identification. For
additional information about our privacy
policy, visit www.FordConnected.com or
refer to your local Ford website.
Note: The modem continues to send this
information unless you disable the modem
or stop the modem from sharing vehicle
data by changing the modem settings. See
Connected Vehicle (page 369)"

You might be right about the embedded sim.
Yeah, it is what iphones use these days. Some providers still use physical sim cards, but esims cost less in soc than the sim socket does.

1984 was supposed to be a warning, not a how to manual.

OP
OP
PapaNer

PapaNer

First Name
Ner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Veloster 2.0 Premium
Your cell phone isn’t a nanny that’s going to collect data on your driving and ecu flash count.
As long as location is on something is likely keeping the data. I mean honestly, having portable connected technology today is giving up certain levels of privacy. Doesn't mean it's a legal or publicly admitted to thing, but it's happening.

OP
OP
PapaNer

PapaNer

First Name
Ner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wait till you get the “congratulations on your upcoming fatherhood” message, 3 years after a vasectomy, like one of our clients did when I was an IT forensics tech and analyst. <-sadly not a joke or spam
Ay, also in tech! I've just come to accept that while there are various ways I can protect aspects of my virtual identity, I wasn't this smart when I was younger and on Myspace, and I've had a cell phone since I was like 16. Shits out there. My only current cell phone belongs to my work, so there are limitations on what I can do with it anyway.

But really, not much I can do about it. I'll still use Fordpass to see how it goes. I guess until the day my car starts remotely without me pressing it haha.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As long as location is on something is likely keeping the data. I mean honestly, having portable connected technology today is giving up certain levels of privacy. Doesn't mean it's a legal or publicly admitted to thing, but it's happening.
True, but I am a grognard of the butlarian jihad (heh 2 classic references for people to look up)

gotta fight the powers that be.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PapaNer

PapaNer

First Name
Ner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True, but I am a grognard of the butlarian jihad (heh 2 classic references for people to look up)

gotta fight the powers that be.
Grognard has come up in my DND circles, but I had never heard of butlerian jihad. Honestly an interesting premise. I know a lot of folks are really into Dune but I've never read it. Guess I'm more intrigued to now.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ay, also in tech! I've just come to accept that while there are various ways I can protect aspects of my virtual identity, I wasn't this smart when I was younger and on Myspace, and I've had a cell phone since I was like 16. Shits out there. My only current cell phone belongs to my work, so there are limitations on what I can do with it anyway.

But really, not much I can do about it. I'll still use Fordpass to see how it goes. I guess until the day my car starts remotely without me pressing it haha.
There is no we will mostly bend over and take us sans lube emoji (yet) so I had to go with ironically hilarious because it is true

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grognard has come up in my DND circles, but I had never heard of butlerian jihad. Honestly an interesting premise. I know a lot of folks are really into Dune but I've never read it. Guess I'm more intrigued to now.
I am a rolemaster 2nd Ed guy and used to cohost a YouTube podcast with Jared” savage daddy” gunning called savage GM about savage worlds.

dune is a great book, started the modern green movement, but it really becomes interesting when you realize it is not just about ecology, the relationship between trade, politics, and religion in the quest for control and power, with the fremen playing the part of the Palestinian people.

Zotman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid, Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From the manual.
"The modem has a SIM. The
modem was enabled when your
vehicle was built and periodically
sends messages to stay connected to the
cell phone network, receive automatic
software updates and send vehicle-related
information to us, for example diagnostic
information. These messages could
include information that identifies your
vehicle, the SIM and the electronic serial
number of the modem. Cell phone network
service providers could have access to
additional information, for example cell
phone network tower identification. For
additional information about our privacy
policy, visit www.FordConnected.com or
refer to your local Ford website.
Note: The modem continues to send this
information unless you disable the modem
or stop the modem from sharing vehicle
data by changing the modem settings. See
Connected Vehicle (page 369)"

You might be right about the embedded sim.
My avatar references Army Intelligence. Our unofficial motto (over 50 years ago) was "In God we trust, all others we monitor." I doubt things are better now.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PapaNer

PapaNer

First Name
Ner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am a rolemaster 2nd Ed guy and used to cohost a YouTube podcast with Jared” savage daddy” gunning called savage GM about savage worlds.

dune is a great book, started the modern green movement, but it really becomes interesting when you realize it is not just about ecology, the relationship between trade, politics, and religion in the quest for control and power, with the fremen playing the part of the Palestinian people.
Nice! My brother and I actually started with 3rd, but I was much too young to really understand it. We've been playing 5e for the past 5 or so years. In addition I played plenty of Magic the Gathering and now I've started on a new one called Flesh and Blood which is a significant change for a card game.

Also - just ordered the first book of the Dune series. I'm looking forward to checking it out. Appreciate your description!

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My avatar references Army Intelligence. Our unofficial motto (over 50 years ago) was "In God we trust, all others we monitor." I doubt things are better now.
Have a buddy who was signals attached to the Rakkasans he installed and maintained a bunch of Ewsd and Army sigint equipment especially during the BJ war before being sent to Germany.

speaking of monitoring and never trusting: No Such Agency. If they tell you something you know it’s either way brand what they said, or vapourware designed to deceive. Yeah I have friends in Augusta at ESWD/No Such and an old boss had a prime job in London as section chief. I can assure you, not a bit has changed other than we can process more data with fewer analysts.

that is only one reason I distrust big data

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice! My brother and I actually started with 3rd, but I was much too young to really understand it. We've been playing 5e for the past 5 or so years. In addition I played plenty of Magic the Gathering and now I've started on a new one called Flesh and Blood which is a significant change for a card game.

Also - just ordered the first book of the Dune series. I'm looking forward to checking it out. Appreciate your description!
Make certain you read it before the tv release that is happening soon. Oh and the foundation series (they are quick reads even for Asimov)

asimov and psychistory bring us back to data collection by Ford. Why do they even want to know what music I am listening to? So they can sell the info.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Considering how much tech is trimmed out of the Maverick for the sake of the current chip shortage I'd be surprised if the Maverick has the ability for OTA updating especially since Ford hasn't mentioned it as a capability. I think it's more of a thing on Sync 4 equipped vehicles.
Actually in one of the Maverick videos they specifically mention the ability to “add new features over time remotely”
Sponsored