Sponsored

Never owned a Ford with tech. When can I use FordPass?

PapaNer

First Name
Ner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Veloster 2.0 Premium
I'm assuming that I can't really register my Maverick on it even though I have the VIN until after I get it? I wanted to check out what all Fordpass offers but it won't accept my VIN as of yet. Anyone have any insight on this?
Sponsored

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 22, Lariat fx4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When I test drove a ranger I was only able to connect with the truck, but there is a confirmation pop-up on the multimedia screen that you have to click on. So you need to be inside the vehicle to complete the connection.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
I'm assuming that I can't really register my Maverick on it even though I have the VIN until after I get it? I wanted to check out what all Fordpass offers but it won't accept my VIN as of yet. Anyone have any insight on this?
Your vin will be activated by your dealer at delivery. Otherwise you would see all kinds of weird data coming online as your presently unbuilt vehicle can online, went offline, moved, retired out, connected etc.

truth be told I hate the idea of Ford pass. It is an implementation of big data that really bothers me. I understand why they want the data, and it is for many of the same reasons that I don’t want them to have it.

plus it is rife for abuse.

OP
OP
PapaNer

PapaNer

First Name
Ner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I test drove a ranger I was only able to connect with the truck, but there is a confirmation pop-up on the multimedia screen that you have to click on. So you need to be inside the vehicle to complete the connection.
Hey thanks for that!

OP
OP
PapaNer

PapaNer

First Name
Ner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your vin will be activated by your dealer at delivery. Otherwise you would see all kinds of weird data coming online as your presently unbuilt vehicle can online, went offline, moved, retired out, connected etc.

truth be told I hate the idea of Ford pass. It is an implementation of big data that really bothers me. I understand why they want the data, and it is for many of the same reasons that I don’t want them to have it.

plus it is rife for abuse.
Ahh, didn't know it happened at delivery.

Also no real worries about "big data" since it's not like my data isn't out there by having a cell phone anyway.

Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Also no real worries about "big data" since it's not like my data isn't out there by having a cell phone anyway.
Wait till you get the “congratulations on your upcoming fatherhood” message, 3 years after a vasectomy, like one of our clients did when I was an IT forensics tech and analyst. <-sadly not a joke or spam

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick

Your cell phone isn’t a nanny that’s going to collect data on your driving and ecu flash count.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your cell phone isn’t a nanny that’s going to collect data on your driving and ecu flash count.
Well kinda. There are beacons on most major roadways that track the us of the cars moving along it. Ostensibly it is simply there to track the average velocity and detect issues, but the data can be aggregated to give far more than that.

it is like someone’s social security number. People use it for “security” and as I remind USAA every time they ask me to confirm it: it is publicly available information. I can legally get a list of every SSN and who it belongs to. So how is knowing my SSN protecting my account at all (almost as bad as sms as a 2factor I can skim sims and clone them in my sleep [and have] and I was one of the ‘good guys’ aka white hats)

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm concerned about monitoring and the right to repair.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm concerned about monitoring and the right to repair.
Right to repair is a real thing. So long as we can have access to all the same data as Ford does, and I can turn off broadcasting, i’d be more comfortable. The other issue s that Ford has already said it will be used to Boeing (a term someone else in the frums brought up, but I think is appropriate) new feature OTA. I do not want a bricked truck from a failed Tuesday night patch. Nor do I want someone to remotely monitor and or alter vehicle specs on the fly.

am I paranoid much? Dunno. I am one of very few people alive certified to teach OS/2 SMP on an As/400 which means nothing until you realize that is what used to run a good portion Deltas flight ops and scheduling. What was cryptographically difficult 4 years ago is trivial now, and I plan on keeping my Mav much longer than that.

Sponsored

JOHNBONE

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiesta
even if you don't have a facebook account, facebook has a profile on you. they do it because someone you know has a facebook account, and you're phone number is saved.

you're phone collects way more data than you know. I'm not here trying to be all tin hat conspiracy guy or anything, I'm just saying that more is going on than you know is going on.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Right to repair is a real thing. So long as we can have access to all the same data as Ford does, and I can turn off broadcasting, i’d be more comfortable. The other issue s that Ford has already said it will be used to Boeing (a term someone else in the frums brought up, but I think is appropriate) new feature OTA. I do not want a bricked truck from a failed Tuesday night patch. Nor do I want someone to remotely monitor and or alter vehicle specs on the fly.

am I paranoid much? Dunno. I am one of very few people alive certified to teach OS/2 SMP on an As/400 which means nothing until you realize that is what used to run a good portion Deltas flight ops and scheduling. What was cryptographically difficult 4 years ago is trivial now, and I plan on keeping my Mav much longer than that.
I believe you can turn off the ping in the menu. Also, the manual mentions a sim... If that's a sim, it can be removed.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
I guess it's like they said at delivery.

Just purchased a Lexus in May. While sitting in the car with salesman going over everything and syncing cell phones he had to call the Lexus people to activate the account. So it makes sense that Ford does it the same way.

Last edited:

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unless it’s an esim
From the manual.
"The modem has a SIM. The
modem was enabled when your
vehicle was built and periodically
sends messages to stay connected to the
cell phone network, receive automatic
software updates and send vehicle-related
information to us, for example diagnostic
information. These messages could
include information that identifies your
vehicle, the SIM and the electronic serial
number of the modem. Cell phone network
service providers could have access to
additional information, for example cell
phone network tower identification. For
additional information about our privacy
policy, visit www.FordConnected.com or
refer to your local Ford website.
Note: The modem continues to send this
information unless you disable the modem
or stop the modem from sharing vehicle
data by changing the modem settings. See
Connected Vehicle (page 369)"

You might be right about the embedded sim.
Sponsored