OP
OP
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Escape SE
Thanks for all the replies. I have been waiting "8 months" for the whole process from June when I went in to apply for pre order. I do not mind to wait, it would just be nice to have some communication is all I am saying. You may think that I am impatient if you want to. The latest update I have is that ford will not have any information on a new fuel tank for my dealership until the end of the month. I tried to call Ford myself to see if I could get more information. I was told that since the truck is not in my name the matter is between Ford and the dealership.and no information can be provided to me, which is fair. I'll let you know when I hear something more.
Sponsored

g1zstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid Barebones
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So can't you just patch the fuel tank with PRC or something until they get a replacement?
You could but who would want that liability.

sdr.speng

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, same boat here - Ordered 7/8 - Delivered to dealer on 1/7 - dealer pulled tank and it indicated damage. The Recall Bulletin 21C35 states the following:

SERVICE ACTION
Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to
lower the fuel tank and inspect for damage or holes to the fuel tank below the nine drain hole locations in the bed. If any damage is found in the drain hole locations, the fuel tank is to be replaced. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
A Dealer Bulletin Supplement will be provided to dealers when parts ordering information and repair instructions become available, anticipated by end of January 2022.

Until parts are adequately available, dealers should complete the fuel tank inspection. If fuel tank
replacement is required, the customer should be provided a rental until parts and repair directions are available.

Dealers are to prioritize repairs of customer vehicles over repairs of new and used vehicle

inventory.

This recall could take a ton of time since 5,400 + Mavericks could be affected.

jeffinVA

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Yes, it has been a long wait for all of us. You just need to take a deep breath, relax, sit back and look at the whole picture - it's not only you here. If it wasn't for the pandemic, which also keeps getting worse everyday, then we might not have had all of the supply issues that we currently do and it's not only Ford that is having issues - it's everyone. Unfortunately, Ford had no control over the EPA testing, the chemicals used for the spray in bed liner are in short supply partly due to the severe freezing weather that Texas had earlier that affected one of the plants in Texas that makes them, and the fuel tanks were made properly except that the company that Ford used to put in the SIBL decided to screw them up.

The build dates go back to having the parts available, and unfortunately there still is a supply issue with the container ports still being backed up for who knows how much longer.

Even before the pandemic and the supply chain issues, in 2019 I waited for over two months from the time that I ordered a new Escape until the time that it was built and delivered. I'm not happy with the longer wait times, but at least I know that I will eventually get my Maverick. There will always be someone who has the attitude of "I want what I want and I want it NOW" and to them I just say "Good Luck and How is that working out for you".
I agree that Ford can't be blamed for all the supply chain issues but the piss poor quality control that seems to be behind a majority of these issues falls directly on Ford and their lack of oversight in the Mexican facility where their built. History repeats itself.

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would look into lemon law if your state has one. In CA, if a vehicle spends more than 30 days at the dealership for the same issue, then the dealership has to either offer you a cash settlement or buy the car back from you.

(Obviously take the cash settlement in the current used car market.)

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would look into lemon law if your state has one. In CA, if a vehicle spends more than 30 days at the dealership for the same issue, then the dealership has to either offer you a cash settlement or buy the car back from you.

(Obviously take the cash settlement in the current used car market.)
Lemon Law claims are pursued against the manufacturer, not the dealership.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting, when one of my friends was paid a settlement, the dealership issued the check.
The dealership might issue the payment with compensation from the manufacturer, but ultimately it's the manufacturer you enter arbitration or legal action against.

OldSoulNewMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, same boat here - Ordered 7/8 - Delivered to dealer on 1/7 - dealer pulled tank and it indicated damage. The Recall Bulletin 21C35 states the following:

SERVICE ACTION
Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to
lower the fuel tank and inspect for damage or holes to the fuel tank below the nine drain hole locations in the bed. If any damage is found in the drain hole locations, the fuel tank is to be replaced. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
A Dealer Bulletin Supplement will be provided to dealers when parts ordering information and repair instructions become available, anticipated by end of January 2022.

Until parts are adequately available, dealers should complete the fuel tank inspection. If fuel tank
replacement is required, the customer should be provided a rental until parts and repair directions are available.

Dealers are to prioritize repairs of customer vehicles over repairs of new and used vehicle

inventory.

This recall could take a ton of time since 5,400 + Mavericks could be affected.
This recall really sucks. I hope those affected take advantage of the free rental car. It surprises me that Ford would even offer that, as it is a HUUUUGE expense, and since the vehicles weren't officially "purchased" yet....it might have given them enough legal loophole to skimp out. My Kia Soul needed a full engine rebuild (under warranty) and I was given a paid rental car for THREE MONTHS while it was done. I had fun switching every few weeks (my choice...check with the Rental company) so that I could test drive a few different models. At the time I was just starting to look for a new car, and it gave me opportunity to examine a few different ones to see what I liked/didn't like. Take advantage. Rack up the free mileage. And if you request a comparable vehicle, they might need to give you something really nice to have fun with.

sdr.speng

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This recall really sucks. I hope those affected take advantage of the free rental car. It surprises me that Ford would even offer that, as it is a HUUUUGE expense, and since the vehicles weren't officially "purchased" yet....it might have given them enough legal loophole to skimp out. My Kia Soul needed a full engine rebuild (under warranty) and I was given a paid rental car for THREE MONTHS while it was done. I had fun switching every few weeks (my choice...check with the Rental company) so that I could test drive a few different models. At the time I was just starting to look for a new car, and it gave me opportunity to examine a few different ones to see what I liked/didn't like. Take advantage. Rack up the free mileage. And if you request a comparable vehicle, they might need to give you something really nice to have fun with.
OldSoulNewMaverick - Thanks and YES it really sucks. I was SO LOOKING FORWARD to owning this Maverick, only to have it sit in a parking lot for 2-1/2 months and now with this recall, it could be several more months. I haven't purchased mine yet, but if I had, I would definitely take advantage of the rental car option. Hope your Kia is repaired soon.

Sponsored

ArkAngelx3

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang( 03 Cobra, 18 GT)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Add me to the list of damaged tanks. Truck built a second week or production, sat at railyard until last week. And now I have no idea when it will be fixed. We'll played Ford.

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Maverick needed a gas tank replacement too and they have no clue when the parts will arrive. This after waiting 3 months in transit. Gets to the dealer and I still cannot buy it because of the recall. I understand it's a liability issue. Since I couldn't get the Maverick gas tank replaced, I just replaced the whole Maverick. LOL Honestly, I was so steamed that I initially decided I was not going to buy the Maverick, but once they get it fixed I still have the option. We shall see in the meantime I am rolling happy in my Frontier.

Whitenight

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree that Ford can't be blamed for all the supply chain issues but the piss poor quality control that seems to be behind a majority of these issues falls directly on Ford and their lack of oversight in the Mexican facility where their built. History repeats itself.
The Hermosillo factory, the workers there, and Ford do not have any quality control over the parts that are supplied to make any vehicles. That responsibility falls on the supplier of those parts. The issue with the fuel tank and the spray in bed liner was not done at the Hermosillo factory. The Maverick is shipped OFF SITE to be installed by another vendor and is not done by any Ford employees. I will agree that the rear seat belt issue did occur during assembly on the finish line, but other than that, what information do you have that anything else was as a direct result of workers at the Hermosillo facility?

ehspeakers

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How are we to determine if our Maverick needs a replacement fuel tank? Can we inspect this on our own?

ArkAngelx3

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang( 03 Cobra, 18 GT)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How are we to determine if our Maverick needs a replacement fuel tank? Can we inspect this on our own?
call your dealer and provide a vin, they will see with that if it falls within a certain date range, and whether or not you need an inspection!
Sponsored