Bear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus & Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Damn nice yak Bear! I want some bed bars like that but I still need some other pricey gear before that. What tonneau cover do you have?
I purchased the Ford hard rollup cover from Ford website.....it was on sale.
Sponsored

SCMav22

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I purchased the Ford hard rollup cover from Ford website.....it was on sale.
Thanks for sharing. Not sure I want to splurge on that one:) But it looks good. I'm thinking the one named TruXedo is more in my wheelhouse. Just kidding!

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
DAN said - My setup using Yakima roof cross bars. Then Thule hulivator. I was thinking about next year with the bars in bed. BUT I would still use one cross bar on cab to get the kayak forward more. No way I want it sticking out back that far. Mine are 16 and 17.2 long. Here is Valley Avocet on roof of mine.
Dan, what towers did you use for the square(?)cross bars? I have the Hullivators also. But it currently connects to raised roof rails on my subaru
The cross bars are the Yakima ROUND ones. The hullivator works with round bars. At least my old 897 hullivator does. The towers are the Baseline with the proper clip kit the Baseclip 180 (sku # 8006180) . I got a deal on the real long 72 inch bars then adjusted it for hullivator and cut off excess bar on other side. If you want i can PM you more detailed pictures.

Poultrygeist

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used to haul 3 kayaks with a minivan ( 2 on top and one inside with seats folded ) and 3 bikes on a hitch mount. There was still room on the inside for gear with 3 passengers sitting behind each other.

I would think wooden kayaks are for lakes and oceans. We did lots of rivers with so many rocks a wooden boat wouldn't last long.

Less than a two hour drive from Columbia, SC we are fortunate to have mountain and mid-state white water, flat water and the Atlantic ocean. The old flooded rice fields around Charleston are worth the trip for the incredible wildlife. My club often paddles Congaree National Park in Columbia which is the oldest intact swamp of its type in the US. You wouldn't dare enter that Swamp without a GPS. Lots of gators in many of our low country and state park waters. The barrier islands off the S.C. coast are a great destination for ocean kayakers. Daufuskie Island featured in the movie "Conrack" and book, "The Water is Wide" is one of them.

Last edited:

wito53

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
WARREN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 outback, 2015 forester, ordered 2024 maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks Dan. I have square crossbars so I guess I have to do some research. But I have time. My hybrid won't be ready till next year.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
I finally figured how I wanted to load my wooden kayak by myself on my Maverick. I have the Elevate bed racks, Thule DockGrip to hold the kayak, Yakima HandRoll on the back rack to roll up the kayak, foam padding on the front rack and a foam block for the roof so the kayak can rest on. I needed the Yakima HandRoll so I can push up the kayak onto the rack beds and once I have it on the bed rack I pickup the kayak to move it on the Thule DockGrips.

The Yakima HandRoll is OK, it just doesn't roll as smoothly as I would like it. I bought a large foam roll from Foam Factory, cut it to length, sliced it open so I can slip it on the bed rack and I used velcro straps to hold them on (I really didn't need it). Once it's strapped down I didn't need a bow or stern line to keep it from sliding or shifting. My kayak is 17 foot and once it's balanced on the Thule DockGrips it only sticks out about 3 foot(ish) from the rear bumper. If I had a plastic kayak I wouldn't have been so fuzzy about loading up the kayak. But since it's wood I wanted to be more careful and keep the scratches to very bare minimum. Also, I did remove my antenna so I can move the kayak to the Thule DockGrips....I may use my stubby antenna again.

IMG_3204.jpeg
IMG_3203.jpeg
IMG_3207.jpeg
IMG_3206.jpeg
IMG_3205.jpeg
Looks like fun adventures ahead!

TomD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee Trailsport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I finally figured how I wanted to load my wooden kayak by myself on my Maverick. I have the Elevate bed racks, Thule DockGrip to hold the kayak, Yakima HandRoll on the back rack to roll up the kayak, foam padding on the front rack and a foam block for the roof so the kayak can rest on. I needed the Yakima HandRoll so I can push up the kayak onto the rack beds and once I have it on the bed rack I pickup the kayak to move it on the Thule DockGrips.

The Yakima HandRoll is OK, it just doesn't roll as smoothly as I would like it. I bought a large foam roll from Foam Factory, cut it to length, sliced it open so I can slip it on the bed rack and I used velcro straps to hold them on (I really didn't need it). Once it's strapped down I didn't need a bow or stern line to keep it from sliding or shifting. My kayak is 17 foot and once it's balanced on the Thule DockGrips it only sticks out about 3 foot(ish) from the rear bumper. If I had a plastic kayak I wouldn't have been so fuzzy about loading up the kayak. But since it's wood I wanted to be more careful and keep the scratches to very bare minimum. Also, I did remove my antenna so I can move the kayak to the Thule DockGrips....I may use my stubby antenna again.

IMG_3204.jpeg
IMG_3203.jpeg
IMG_3207.jpeg
IMG_3206.jpeg
IMG_3205.jpeg
Looks great! What does a kayak like that weigh? Is that an ocean kayak?

OP
OP

Bear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus & Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks great! What does a kayak like that weigh? Is that an ocean kayak?
It's classified as a sea kayak and it weighs about 50ish pounds. It tracks straight, fast, a little wobbly (I'm a newbie kayaker) and it takes forever to turn. I took it out yesterday morning on a nice calm lake it paddled great....I would never take her on a shallow river.

TomD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee Trailsport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's classified as a sea kayak and it weighs about 50ish pounds. It tracks straight, fast, a little wobbly (I'm a newbie kayaker) and it takes forever to turn. I took it out yesterday morning on a nice calm lake it paddled great....I would never take her on a shallow river.
Thanks for the info. I didn’t realize that it is a wooden kayak. It’s a beautiful piece. I could never use anything like that as I would be afraid I would scratch it.
Your rig looks really good.

brucecorporal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Beautiful kayak for sure. I just did the thule square bars and j-hooks

Ford Maverick My Kayak Setup 20230829_185218

Sponsored

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would highly recommend cinch tie downs on both bow and stern.
I don't want to be anyone's mommy BUT I agree. I would do a triangle with two lines on bow (front). like I show in picture. Yes I have seen tie down straps fail and lose a boat. Two lines on bow keep boat on saddles even if cross bar fails. Mine failed on a past car. . One line on boat and bar or main strap fails boat comes off smashes side of car. Just I recommending. Short trips in the 30 mph maybe not. Thruway YES for sure.

Yes I have known people not doing it for 30 years with zero problems., BUT it does happen. I agree not super often. Also if it does and you get sued and they find out none were used and all kayak rack makers says to use bow and stern lines good luck in court. BUT unaware of that every happening. I know of at least a half dozen kayak fly away's. NONE had any injury or even property damge other than kayak itself.

So up to you.

Stealth Raccoon

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Chevy S10
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Where can I find the little attachment points that stick out from the hood - would be handy for hauling my tandem!

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Where can I find the little attachment points that stick out from the hood - would be handy for hauling my tandem!
the soft ones will work if you don't crank down too much.
if you're going to be hauling often I'd consider ditch light brackets with eye bolts.
Ford Maverick My Kayak Setup s-l1600
Sponsored