Sponsored

Military making me move early. What are my options?

GrandTour09

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi there sub,

so for context, without giving too much away, I live in update New York, got 9/17/22 XLT Hybrid order in with a *somewhat* reputable dealer. I say somewhat because I've seen the name being thrown around a couple times online. Other than that, no idea. Asking here first because no matter how nice the guys is I don't trust dealers. He did promise MSRP when order arrives.

I was slotted to move to Colorado or Texas June 2024, but I just got the news that I am now to report no later than 2023 May.

Now with that said, even if I was leaving June 2024, there is no guarantee I'd even get my order. Assuming I do, what are my options?

I can fly back to NY and ship/drive back, but that's probably going to be 1.5~2k over the pricetag, and despite how great of a truck Maverick is, I don't know if I can justify $30,000 for it. At that point, 2024 ranger looks tempting.

However, if I can still settle for my maverick, I would. Is there a way I can ask my dealer in NY to change destination to CO or TX?

Anything helps.

Edit: Sorry for the confusion, I am active duty, not civilian contractor.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
Hi there sub,

so for context, without giving too much away, I live in update New York, got 9/17/22 XLT Hybrid order in with a *somewhat* reputable dealer. I say somewhat because I've seen the name being thrown around a couple times online. Other than that, no idea. Asking here first because no matter how nice the guys is I don't trust dealers. He did promise MSRP when order arrives.

I was slotted to move to Colorado or Texas June 2024, but I just got the news that I am now to report no later than 2023 May.

Now with that said, even if I was leaving June 2024, there is no guarantee I'd even get my order. Assuming I do, what are my options?

I can fly back to NY and ship/drive back, but that's probably going to be 1.5~2k over the pricetag, and despite how great of a truck Maverick is, I don't know if I can justify $30,000 for it. At that point, 2024 ranger looks tempting.

However, if I can still settle for my maverick, I would. Is there a way I can ask my dealer in NY to change destination to CO or TX?

Anything helps.
Ouch, sorry to say but this didn't end well for the last guy in the military who went through a similar situation. Unfortunately you will not be able to move your Maverick order to another dealer that is closer to you. It just doesn't work that way.

You could try asking your current dealer to use what is called "Courtesy Delivery". This is a lower cost delivery service that Ford offers to transport vehicles between its dealerships. Keep in mind this is highly dealer dependent and a lot of them especially the receiving dealerships decline this service because of the associated costs.

Anyway, best of luck on your new move and I hope this works out for you.

OP
OP

GrandTour09

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You could try asking your current dealer to use what is called "Courtesy Delivery". This is a lower cost delivery service that Ford offers to transport vehicles between its dealerships. Keep in mind this is highly dealer dependent and a lot of them especially the receiving dealerships decline this service because of the associated costs.
will def try that, thanks!

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
You're welcome, I hope it helps! If you do a forum search for "Courtesy Delivery" it looks like @Maverick2023 did this back in October of this year. Hopefully he sees this thread and can chime in with some advice or maybe DM him and see how he did it.

Rew409

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hi there sub,

Anything helps.

If you need someone to drive it , let me know .

Sponsored

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not saying to use it unfairly, but don't be afraid to push the "Active Duty" angle with the dealer. It's not a guarantee but there are definitely a few folks that will take a bit of a hit to help out folks in the military.

Dude84

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi there sub,

Anything helps.

Ran into a similar situation as I moved across the country this summer. I'm expecting my rollover Hybrid order to get built at the end of January; my dealer agreed to dropship it to a dealer near me so I don't have to go across country to pick it up.

The local dealer said they'll charge $500 for the service and it sounds like it will be a little bit of a headache to buy through the ordering dealer and pickup through the local dealer; however, that will save me from buying a plane ticket and a 2,000 mile drive.

bioned

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ran into a similar situation as I moved across the country this summer. I'm expecting my rollover Hybrid order to get built at the end of January; my dealer agreed to dropship it to a dealer near me so I don't have to go across country to pick it up.

The local dealer said they'll charge $500 for the service and it sounds like it will be a little bit of a headache to buy through the ordering dealer and pickup through the local dealer; however, that will save me from buying a plane ticket and a 2,000 mile drive.
Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a ton. Are you military? How did you ask the dealer for the "dropship"? How did you deal with finance?

edit: so did you do a dealer change? AFAIK we don't get MSRP protection that way.

StillWaiting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is just borrow a tank and take it to the dealer. Next step depends on the answers the dealer gets you…

Dude84

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a ton. Are you military? How did you ask the dealer for the "dropship"? How did you deal with finance?

edit: so did you do a dealer change? AFAIK we don't get MSRP protection that way.
Yep, military too. I was talking to the salesman and mentioned that I had moved to Texas. He offered the dropship option. I gave him my local Ford dealer's info, he confirmed with them (and I did too) that they could receive it here. He then sent me the updated order invoice which shows the dealer code for where it's getting delivered.

As for financing, it'll still go through the original dealer so price shouldn't be effected. So I should be able to finance through them or just cut a check, so paperwork will probably be a little bit of a pain but should be easy enough. Only added cost will be the $500 fee to the dealer that's now receiving the order. Haven't got to this part, so we'll see what it's like when it gets here.

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do keep in mind that as it's a Hybrid, and they've taken more orders than they can fill, there's no guarantee that it will get built at all.

It's a bit of a tricky situation as you haven't yet moved. If you had, you'd want to contact the selling dealer and arrange a Courtesy Delivery. This would likely be the easiest, lowest cost option. What that means is that the NY dealer would have the factory ship your Maverick to a dealer in CO or TX. It's a drop-ship to the CO/TX dealer - it would never go to NY. The receiving dealer usually charges a few hundred dollars for the service of receiving the vehicle, doing the PDI, etc. There's no additional shipping fee as this is covered by the destination charge on your window sticker. Paperwork may get split between the two dealers depending on how your registration works in the military - they should be able to talk you through the process and have you mail anything back to NY as necessary.

A courtesy delivery does require several things.

Firstly, you'd need to be reasonably sure that you'll be down there when the vehicle is delivered. Given that May is still 4-5 months away, there's a chance it gets built before then.

Second, you'd need to arrange this with a dealer near your new base. Not all dealers will be willing to do this, but I suspect dealers near military bases will be accustomed to this, especially after the last couple years.

Third, the NY dealer will likely want some level of commitment from you. The way the business works is that the NY dealer is buying the Maverick from the factory, and then offering it for sale to you. With a courtesy delivery, they're sending their inventory, their asset, across the country, without it ever hitting their lot. So, they may or may not want to charge something like a deposit in case they need to cover shipping costs if you back out of the sale.

Fourth, once the vehicle is scheduled for production, this option is effectively no longer available. If you have a scheduled build week, it might be possible to set up a courtesy delivery with a lot of effort by the dealer, might not be, and they might/might not be willing to put in those calls. Better if you can have everything ready to go before you receive a VIN/scheduled build week.

Beyond that, I understand there are courier services that are in the business of transporting your personal vehicles for a military relocation. Not sure how that applies if the vehicle isn't received until months after the relocation, and you may or may not be eligible for any reimbursement in the process. Of course there are separate vehicle transporters as well that will move it for a fee. Either way, you'd have to have the paperwork and payment processed in advance, before the courier could pick up the truck. Many dealers would be willing to have you electronically sign or send the paperwork back and forth via UPS/FedEx envelope. Look at websites like uShip.com or do a Google search for something like "ship my car quotes".

As already noted, you could always either fly up yourself to drive it back, or have someone else drive it down and fly back.

Reactions: Aza

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It is possible (depending on where you and the dealership are located) that you could arrange to fly "space-available" onboard an Air Force flight from an AF base near you to an AF base near your dealership, then work something out for the remaining distance... If it's close enough, your salesperson might be able to pick you up at your destination AFB...

I left the Army back in the mid-80s, so it's been a while, but my wife and I took a vacation to Hawaii while I was stationed at Ft Old, CA. We drove to Travis AFB (near San Francisco), then flew (space-available) aboard a C-5A to Hickam AFB near Honolulu. We came back the same way. The only cost was basically reimbursing the AF for the box lunches they served on the flight.

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did CD and I hated to say that the receiving dealership didn't do anything much except for charging me a $200 for a car wash and bolting on my license plate. I would still do it all over again since it would cost me less than to fly to pick up and drive my car back home, not counting all the risks along the way. Having it shipped would cost more than $200. So yeah to me CD is totally worth it if both dealerships are willing to do it for you.
Sponsored