Sponsored

Maybe Ford never intended to produce and sell a ton of Mavericks?

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just got to thinking about this... If you have noticed, almost all mainstream car makers have gone to pushing trucks and SUV's. The American makes have all but almost completely dropped making sedans and small " cheap " cars.

They say that sedans and cheap little cars just didn't have much demand, and I am sure there is some truth to that, as most people would prefer to have a more useful SUV platform over a typical sedan layout.

But I believe the car makers see that the big money is in making trucks and SUV's. There is crazy high profits in F150's and Superduty's... Same with nearly all SUV's. Not so much in small cheap sedans and hatchbacks.

So I got to thinking.... There is no way Ford didn't know the maverick would be popular. Why wouldn't it be popular? It offers seating for 5 like any sedan or smaller SUV, and coupled with a hybrid drivetrain it would offer MPG ratings that are only beaten by a handful of other hybrids, and especially in the XL and XLT trims... it is very affordably priced.

Perhaps they knew all along it would be very popular, but the idea was to just simply get people interested and into a Ford dealer... Where they could be possibly tempted into something else like a Ranger or F150 or Explorer, where Ford can make a healthy profit.

Otherwise if this isn't the case, why have they not tooled up for more production? The F150 has been the number 1 best selling vehicle in the country for a long long time, and even through covid, the dealers always had at least a few new F150's on the lot. Now a days there is plenty of new F150's on the lot to choose from, some with rebates and incentives. No one would need to order a F150 and wait months or even a year for it to possibly come in. If Ford can build that many F150's, there is no reason they couldn't build Mavericks at the rate needed to meet demand.

I called my dealer the other day to see if my salesman knew anything I didn't know about the status of my order... He said they have gotten about 20 mavericks in out of a little over 300 orders placed in Sept. At this rate, there is no way all 300+ orders get fulfilled. And I don't think Ford cares. I think they figure we will decide to " upgrade " to a F150 or ranger or decide instead to get a escape or bronco sport or explorer or some other more profitable vehicle.
eh, people are intrigued by the low price - as I was - people know there are other Ford trucks out there, they didn't need to introduce the Mav to alert people that 'hey we have trucks for sale over here'.
Sponsored

Pernell

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pernell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just got to thinking about this... If you have noticed, almost all mainstream car makers have gone to pushing trucks and SUV's. The American makes have all but almost completely dropped making sedans and small " cheap " cars.

They say that sedans and cheap little cars just didn't have much demand, and I am sure there is some truth to that, as most people would prefer to have a more useful SUV platform over a typical sedan layout.

But I believe the car makers see that the big money is in making trucks and SUV's. There is crazy high profits in F150's and Superduty's... Same with nearly all SUV's. Not so much in small cheap sedans and hatchbacks.

So I got to thinking.... There is no way Ford didn't know the maverick would be popular. Why wouldn't it be popular? It offers seating for 5 like any sedan or smaller SUV, and coupled with a hybrid drivetrain it would offer MPG ratings that are only beaten by a handful of other hybrids, and especially in the XL and XLT trims... it is very affordably priced.

Perhaps they knew all along it would be very popular, but the idea was to just simply get people interested and into a Ford dealer... Where they could be possibly tempted into something else like a Ranger or F150 or Explorer, where Ford can make a healthy profit.

Otherwise if this isn't the case, why have they not tooled up for more production? The F150 has been the number 1 best selling vehicle in the country for a long long time, and even through covid, the dealers always had at least a few new F150's on the lot. Now a days there is plenty of new F150's on the lot to choose from, some with rebates and incentives. No one would need to order a F150 and wait months or even a year for it to possibly come in. If Ford can build that many F150's, there is no reason they couldn't build Mavericks at the rate needed to meet demand.

I called my dealer the other day to see if my salesman knew anything I didn't know about the status of my order... He said they have gotten about 20 mavericks in out of a little over 300 orders placed in Sept. At this rate, there is no way all 300+ orders get fulfilled. And I don't think Ford cares. I think they figure we will decide to " upgrade " to a F150 or ranger or decide instead to get a escape or bronco sport or explorer or some other more profitable vehicle.

I don’t I don’t know what going on here. you go Ford build a brand new maverick is cheaper than a used maverick. used Maverick going for more than a brand new one being built.. are sold my Ford dealership telling me this.
There been trying to get one for them self. So people can see and test drive it. To help place the orders.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

:ROFLMAO: My 22 hybrid maverick is sitting @ the dealer waiting for a new transmission w/9,000 on it for the last 2 months. I've been royally screwed!
Lemon law it.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I don’t I don’t know what going on here. you go Ford build a brand new maverick is cheaper than a used maverick. used Maverick going for more than a brand new one being built.. are sold my Ford dealership telling me this.
There been trying to get one for them self. So people can see and test drive it. To help place the orders.
People still can't place orders. Maybe before September, maybe not.

Mike S

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Ecosport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We are still feeling the effects of essentially shutting down the global economy for two years. It will take the better part of a decade to recover from that. Ford wants to sell as many vehicles as they can. People in the market for a Maverick are not in the market for an F-150, and Ford knows that. So, if they can produce and sell 1,000,000 Mavericks, they will in a heartbeat.

That said, I still think Maverick is the gateway drug to F-150. Having been driving an F-150 as a loaner for the last three weeks, it'll be hard to go back to the vehicle I actually purchased...
The F-150 is not an option for those of us with older homes that have small garages.

Sponsored

Cobraj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Jeep Gladiator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
agree with the OP about ford F-150's. always plenty of them on the lot. My friend ordered a F150 a little less than a year ago and got it in 6 weeks. All the Bells and whistles, never got a warning it would be held up due to constraints.

Last edited:

LessFrequent

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Less
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Personally, if they don't deliver my Maverick, I'll be moving on to a new brand.
Same here....staying with my MY23 Maverick Hybrid order until Ford fails to deliver or Toyota announces a compact hybrid truck, whichever comes first...

Brendaaliana

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick is supposed to be a CAFE play to let them sell guzzlers with a reduced penalty. My guess is that Ford will try to dodge the CAFE bullet by whining about the supply chain and pointing at our unfilled orders. We're probably pawns in a CAFE scam.

I still want my inexpensive little hauler, but I don't trust Ford. If I don't get mine this model year, I'm looking at BEV from anybody EXCEPT Ford.

MaverickMom

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2022, Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe the 2021 starting price of 19,999 for a truck was what brought many many people who normally by used cars, suvs and trucks back to the new car market. Think about, what hybrid car or truck was/is available starting at 19,999/2022 22,595/2023 base price that has the interior size and use of the maverick. The starting price of 19,999 with cafeteria style choices of upgrades is what brought me back to the new car market. I would never have look at a new car or truck if it hadn't been for the price.

22Ford XL Basic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda cx5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick, specifically the hybrid Maverick, was developed by Ford for two reasons:
First to address a segment of the market that it abandoned when it stopped producing small, inexpensive passenger vehicles. Its second and probably more important (to Ford) reason was to make space in its CAFE numbers for F150 and Super Duty sales. Ford makes relatively little on Maverick, probably nothing in the case of hybrid XL models. Obviously, big truck are where the money is for the company.

I suspect Ford's original plan was to sell only as many hybrids as was required to meet their CAFE numbers for their other more profitable models. I believe they were caught completely off guard by the demand for the Maverick, especially the hybrid. I also suspect they will continue to increase the Maverick prices going forward. The question is, how will they manage the demand with a vehicle they don't really make anything on?

A friend of mine who has been in the car business for a long time commented to me over a year ago that Ford under priced the Maverick by $5,000. He didn't know why the made that choice, but I tend to agree with his assessment.

Sponsored

22Ford XL Basic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda cx5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick is supposed to be a CAFE play to let them sell guzzlers with a reduced penalty. My guess is that Ford will try to dodge the CAFE bullet by whining about the supply chain and pointing at our unfilled orders. We're probably pawns in a CAFE scam.

I still want my inexpensive little hauler, but I don't trust Ford. If I don't get mine this model year, I'm looking at BEV from anybody EXCEPT Ford.

22Ford XL Basic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda cx5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It seems to me that ford has no control over the production and delivery of a Maverick from the ordering, to the manufacture of the product, to the transportation to the dealer and absolutely no control over the dealers operating under the Ford blue ovel logo. Mine was delivered to a dealer where they modified it against my specific instructions, returned my deposit and payment selling the vehicle to another for 8K more. Ford has ignored my telephone calls, emails and registered letters. They apparently just don't care.

RLmesc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Kia Sportage, 05 Porsche Boxster S, 85 Kawasaki
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

i AM JUST WAITING ON THE HYBRID EDSEL!

CuriousGary

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So far, the parts supply chain and sharing production on the same line as the Bronco Sport has held the Maverick back. They would not add a 3rd shift to the Mexico plant if they were trying to limit Mav production. Seems as though Ford is starting to get a hold of their supply chain issues.
I certainly hope so.
Sponsored