Sponsored

Maybe Ford never intended to produce and sell a ton of Mavericks?

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I find it very hard to believe the demand for the Maverick surprised Ford. I don't think they ever intended to be able to meet that demand. I do think they are going to try to moving forward. They have to because that’s where the demand is going, to smaller more affordable vehicles.
they are in uncharted territory with no crystal ball to accurately predict demand or product success. Take a look at Ford's stock price over the last couple years. They've been absolutely bleeding money on the whole. The massive multi-billion $ investments in Ford Blue, Oval City and battery ventures requires billions and billions and loans at the best credit rates they can get. Cheap $ is gone due to inflation and rising interest rates. Thier credit rating is critical to borrowing affordably to fund all the expansion. If they had a big enough miss on a multi-billion $ gamble on a product like Maverick it could literally bankrupt the company. No joke. Look at the big picture.
Sponsored

pawalsh610

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Maverick 1st Edition Lariat, Mazda 2
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a data point of one. My co-worker needed a new truck, wanted a Maverick, but could not wait so he bought a Ranger. He also considered the Tacoma but the price was better on the Ford.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I suspect the MY2025 mid cycle refresh will see the Maverick move a little more upscale (bet we see a Titanium or Platinum trims) or really pack on the packages (ST, STX). MY2027, assuming a 5 year cadence, should be a GEN2 Maverick (but still on the same platform) that will move the Maverick even more upscale with even more offerings (AWD PHEV, BEV, RS, Raptor, Lightening) etc...

This first gen Maverick prior to the Gen1 Refresh that's coming, was a loss leader to test the appetite. Now that they know folks will bite on Lariat Luxury, Tremor, a multitude of accessories, they'll keep this train going and look for additional ways to monetize it (more options, packages, trims, accessories)..

I have MY2025 (mid cycle refresh) starting at $24595 w/ $1595 delivery for the XL (but they might add the XLT power mirrors as standard). Far cry from the original $19995 w/ the $1495 delivery.
Gen 2 Maverick is due April 1 2027 (No joke).

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
they are in uncharted territory with no crystal ball to accurately predict demand or product success. Take a look at Ford's stock price over the last couple years. They've been absolutely bleeding money on the whole. The massive multi-billion $ investments in Ford Blue, Oval City and battery ventures requires billions and billions and loans at the best credit rates they can get. Cheap $ is gone due to inflation and rising interest rates. Thier credit rating is critical to borrowing affordably to fund all the expansion. If they had a big enough miss on a multi-billion $ gamble on a product like Maverick it could literally bankrupt the company. No joke. Look at the big picture.
If they saw the Maverick as uncharted territory and a risk and didn't see a much bigger risk with all this electrification then they are doomed IMO.

xl2023

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, Toyota Yaris
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I always saw both the bronco and the maverick, and f150 lightning, as a response to other vehicle makers. i.e. you make a jeep truck? f u, bronco. cybertruck? f u, lightning. santa cruz? screw it, we're going to flood the market with cheap mavericks and probably cannibalize sales for a decade because stay the f out of our lane.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would think if they build many more EBs than they have orders they are going to start popping up on dealer lots in much bigger numbers before long and allocations won’t matter all that much anyway.
They flat out don't have and still can't get enough parts and materials to build as many Mavericks as they want or could sell. Things have permanently changed since the worldwide economic shutdowns from COVID over-reactions. Many whole auto supporting industries are gone for good. Matching every custom order to a completed vehicle in a timely fashion isn't possible.

The days of inventory on lots is gone and not coming back because they were losing several thousand $ per vehicle through extra costs to build and store them, then having to offer big incentives to get rid of long-lasting inventory on lots. According to Farley they need to cut several thousand $ of costs from each vehicle produced to be competitive and they plan to stick to a build to order model as the major driver of the savings.

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They flat out don't have and still can't get enough parts and materials to build as many Mavericks as they want or could sell. Things have permanently changed since the worldwide economic shutdowns from COVID over-reactions. Many whole auto supporting industries are gone for good. Matching every custom order to a completed vehicle in a timely fashion isn't possible.

The days of inventory on lots is gone and not coming back because they were losing several thousand $ per vehicle through extra costs to build and store them, then having to offer big incentives to get rid of long-lasting inventory on lots. According to Farley they need to cut several thousand $ of costs from each vehicle produced to be competitive and they plan to stick to a build to order model as the major driver of the savings.
Ok but didn't they say they can build many more EB trucks this year than they have EB orders?

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If they saw the Maverick as uncharted territory and a risk and didn't see a much bigger risk with all this electrification then they are doomed IMO.
Very strong possibility :( Auto industry is littered with failed companies, mergers, rebirths, etc. from the beginning. It was a risk they had to take though because they eliminated all their entry level passenger/family vehicles while more efficient competitors did not. Compete or go out of business is/was the only choice. Electrification risk was hedged by breaking company into 2 separate parts for ICE and EV. They are relying on cash cows of Truck business and Mustang and fleet sales and cutaways to provide enough consistent income to fund the EV side until those gambles pay off or the division folds and they fall back to a smaller, more focused ICE business as long as they can ride it out.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok but didn't they say they can build many more EB trucks this year than they have EB orders?
I didn't see that, but they did cutoff all orders for the year at what ~87k total units? Within that 87k total they released forecast their % of planned Hybrid vs. ECO was 35% Hybrid vs. 65% ECO initially. So in reverse they can't build all the hybrids ordered. Then as parts commitments improved they upped hybrid capacity by 5% recently. Not sure if that could be extrapolated to mean they can build more ECOS than orders or not? Don't think I ever saw total ECOS ordered broken out of the total of all orders. Maybe? I could have missed it if they did.

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think Escape is built in Hermosillo with BS & Mav. Also, I just read Ford is cancelling both Escape and Edge after 2024 or 2025 MY production runs, so moot point on that angle. Otherwise, carry on.
Escape is built alongside its cousin, Lincoln Corsair, at Louisville Assembly, just outside of Louisville International Airport.

Nothing has been announced for ending Escape production. The 2023 refresh for those models is just now arriving on dealer lots and likely will be around for at least a few years. Edge is going away soon and Oakville Assembly will be converted to a BEV plant.

FischAutoTechGarten

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Green Valley Arizona USA, Alamos Sonora MEX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat EB AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I always saw both the bronco and the maverick, and f150 lightning, as a response to other vehicle makers. i.e. you make a jeep truck? f u, bronco. cybertruck? f u, lightning. santa cruz? screw it, we're going to flood the market with cheap mavericks and probably cannibalize sales for a decade because stay the f out of our lane.
well maybe some of that, but with probably fewer explicatives for board of director approvals.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I picked up my Maverick finally a couple of weeks ago, and while I like it, I am certainly not blown away by it. I would say the big selling point of the Maverick, at least for me, is the hybrid engine and the price. I drive a 2011 F150 Platinum for work once or twice a week and I all I kept hearing before I got my Maverick was that is was roomy in the back and almost like a full-size inside.

The Maverick is definitely not that. I am 6'2 and while it is possible to move the seat up enough so that two of me could sit in the truck, neither of us would be comfortable. I gave up my 2018 Rav4 and it felt like almost twice as much room in the backseat as the Maverick. While I agree the F150 is quite large, there is a LOT more space in the back. If I could afford a comparable F150 and the gas for it, I would leave the Maverick in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I cannot.

Also, while the MPG is good, I am not getting the 40+ that people are getting, let alone 50+. I am only on my second tank of gas, so I'm waiting until I hit 1,000 miles before worrying. I have been trying to use the EV coach to keep up the electric miles, but it seems like I have to really feather it to get the 40+ which I was expecting to get that in my sleep just driving normal around the city.
It's a good thing you didn't buy a Ranger crew cab, they have less leg room than the Maverick in the rear.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Early MY2028 or some MY2027.5 foolishness? (looking at you Chevy Beretta)
Early 2028. I think Ford stopped using the 1/2 years designator after the 1970 1/2 Torino based Falcon was sold for half a year.

Last edited:

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I didn't see that, but they did cutoff all orders for the year at what ~87k total units? Within that 87k total they released forecast their % of planned Hybrid vs. ECO was 35% Hybrid vs. 65% ECO initially. So in reverse they can't build all the hybrids ordered. Then as parts commitments improved they upped hybrid capacity by 5% recently. Not sure if that could be extrapolated to mean they can build more ECOS than orders or not? Don't think I ever saw total ECOS ordered broken out of the total of all orders. Maybe? I could have missed it if they did.
Well then again it might be that I read that in to it.. Im not sure :unsure:
Sponsored