Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2.0 ecoboost, Ford Crown Victoria
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I did go out each day and snow blow. The amount of snow was overwhelming. I've got a snow blower that has tracks instead of wheels. Works great. If I hadn't have gone out to try and stay on top of it, I'd still be trapped in now. For awhile we were getting 5 inches per hour. I knocked snow off the truck each time as well. If I hadn't, it'd have been even more on top of it. This was the most snow I've ever seen fall since living here. I'm a disabled Veteran so going out once each day was all I could manage. Was over at my Dad's house digging out his Silverado earlier today. He's 83 and couldn't get out to try and stay on top of this storm. There's been National Guard giant snow blowers going around town with dump trucks today trying to get this mess under control. They're still pulling abandoned cars and trucks out of snow banks along roads. There's so many that the Schools have been closed since the buses can run due to unplowed roads. They're begging people to go get their cars so they can plow.
I feel for you. I've dug out of storms like that all my life. I'm disabled LEO I have to go out every inch or so just to move snow so it doesn't build up too high or I can't move it. I'd be living outside in 5 inches an hour and still falling behind. Lol. Glad you and your dad got through it.
Sponsored

Oggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did go out each day and snow blow. The amount of snow was overwhelming. I've got a snow blower that has tracks instead of wheels. Works great. If I hadn't have gone out to try and stay on top of it, I'd still be trapped in now. For awhile we were getting 5 inches per hour. I knocked snow off the truck each time as well. If I hadn't, it'd have been even more on top of it. This was the most snow I've ever seen fall since living here. I'm a disabled Veteran so going out once each day was all I could manage. Was over at my Dad's house digging out his Silverado earlier today. He's 83 and couldn't get out to try and stay on top of this storm. There's been National Guard giant snow blowers going around town with dump trucks today trying to get this mess under control. They're still pulling abandoned cars and trucks out of snow banks along roads. There's so many that the Schools have been closed since the buses can run due to unplowed roads. They're begging people to go get their cars so they can plow.
I've never seen that much in one snow fall myself, 5 inches/hour is pretty significant. I wasn't aware it fell that quickly. I don't think people realize how much snow that really is...

I'm kind of disappointed the installation commander at Ft. Drum hasn't offered assistance to the areas that support the installation. I would think there's a vested interest in the communities being operational given the level of support that installation needs (Ft. Drum has no hospital for example).

From one Veteran, to another, Thank you for your service.

MaverickCruiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2023 XLT Hybrid Cactus Grey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They just need to turn on their heated steering wheel and they'll be fine.

Lone Star Proud

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Someone posted this on Facebook from Buffalo, NY. It was 50° here in Central Alabama and I was wearing gloves.

Updated with info and more pics from the owner @btas

From @btas: This is my Maverick! I'm actually in Natural Bridge, NY off the East end of Lake Ontario. We had 72.9 inches of snow from the recent storm and also had nearly a foot before that storm hit. This was my Maverick before I got close enough to it to dig it out.

20221119_095453-jpg.jpg

20221119_112807-jpg.jpg

FB_IMG_1668947804767.jpg
Nobody should have to live like that. God Bless Texas!

Sponsored

btim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 E450; 2018 Accord 2.0 T. 2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was in Great Lakes, Ill. for boot camp in 1983. We got a severe snow storm with temps below zero.
One of our recruits was from Miami and was excited to see snow for the first time. The company commander sent him out to shovel the "Grinder" (parking lot). It was hilarious.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nah, I prefer having my power stay on even when we got nearly twice as much 8 years ago.
Or Buffalo with its 5-6+ feet recently, and no widespread power outages to speak of…

Where I’m at, snow and cold aren’t threats to power/gas outages (there was one time where one gas co in the state had shortages so they were threatening to cut off service if we didn’t reduce consumption, but thankfully that was averted).

Thunderstorms, however, particularly with high winds? Yeah, that’ll knock the power out for days every so often. Not in the dead of winter.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Or Buffalo with its 5-6+ feet recently, and no widespread power outages to speak of…
That's what I was referring to. I didn't get the brunt of it like Orchard Park area this time, but in 2014 we got 8 feet. Now that was surreal driving around in right afterwards with the road enclosed by 10 ft sheer vertical walls of snow from clearing with airport snow blowers.

Michaelkov

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW X1, 2018 Toyota Rav4, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From @btas: This is my Maverick! I'm actually in Natural Bridge, NY off the East end of Lake Ontario. We had 72.9 inches of snow from the recent storm and also had nearly a foot before that storm hit. This was my Maverick before I got close enough to it to dig it out.

20221119_095453-jpg.jpg

20221119_112807-jpg.jpg

FB_IMG_1668947804767.jpg
Ford Maverick Maverick vs Buffalo Snow Storm 😳 brisk

Sponsored

WNYEscapee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick, 2019 Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I grew up in Hamburg, NY. The area south of Buffalo hit the hardest by this past storm. Also, part of the area where these such storms usually hit among the hardest, what we call the "Southtowns." While such storms aren't unusual, ones that last this long without swinging north and south over that period of time dispersing the snowfall over a broader area is.

I recall about 20 years ago when I worked in the city, we had a couple winters where we endured these conditions, but the snow band drifted from the south to the north and continued this pattern for several days. The first day alone dumped 3 feet upon us before the evening even hit us. We got more snow overnight, and the next day the band swung back again dumping another 2 feet on us.
It was a lot of snow, but it didn't keep any of us at work who received the worst of it all from missing a day of work. Some of us who made it in were in the worst hit areas and had to drive 40 miles or more in it. Most of us didn't drive 4WD trucks/SUVs either. Myself, I drove a Pontiac Sunbird with performance tires and easily drove through snow up to my door handles. Those old "J" bodies were tanks!
I now live north of the city where such snowfall isn't nearly as common, but it also isn't to say we don't get snow here either. Close to 10 years ago, several months after Hamburg's last historic storm(7' snowfall), north of the city we had 36 straight days of snow fall. The snowbanks on the main road by me was so high that you couldn't see oncoming traffic as the banks consumed nearly a full lane and were as high, if not higher than tractor trailers.

This is what winters can be like here, and have been since I was a kid. We just never applied fancy labels to this type of snow event until the last dozen or so years -- we just called them storms, it's what they were -- it's what they are.
The rest of the year ranges from muddy and damp(Spring/Fall) to outright gorgeous and awesomely beautiful. The harshest of conditions allows you to really appreciate the enjoy the best this area has to offer. If it wasn't for a seriously degenerative spine, I could endure the worst winter has to offer here; but the incompetent, corrupt, and, wasteful county and state governments are increasingly making that impossible.

....Oh, we also have some of the best food in the country!

btas

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Ford Mustang, Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I feel for you. I've dug out of storms like that all my life. I'm disabled LEO I have to go out every inch or so just to move snow so it doesn't build up too high or I can't move it. I'd be living outside in 5 inches an hour and still falling behind. Lol. Glad you and your dad got through it.
Thanks, It took me a few days to get dug out and then over to my Dad but we got it done. Thankfully he was stocked up so able to be locked in his house for a few days. Had there been an emergency, he's only about 1/8 of a mile from the Fire Department. They would have got there when I couldn't had he needed them.

Clock Doc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2.0 ecoboost, Ford Crown Victoria
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thanks, It took me a few days to get dug out and then over to my Dad but we got it done. Thankfully he was stocked up so able to be locked in his house for a few days. Had there been an emergency, he's only about 1/8 of a mile from the Fire Department. They would have got there when I couldn't had he needed them.
Always nice having the FD near by just in case! Buffalo is tuff in the winter. My wife lived in Buffalo for 5 years in the 80s. They got snowed in for a week one year. By day 4 everyone in the apartment building was pooling food. Fun when your in your 20s.​
Sponsored