FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
Not giving up hope (yet) that they'll offer an XLT 2.0L/AWD for base MSRP of $25,000
I hope so too! There’s definitely a market for it. Just on all the new fords, Explorer, Escape, Bronco sport and Bronco the bigger engine is only available on the top trim or 2. And to be fair the 1.5L is still just as good as anything in the compact/ subcompact class. The 2.0 is just WAY better.
Sponsored

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
I hope so too! There’s definitely a market for it. Just on all the new fords, Explorer, Escape, Bronco sport and Bronco the bigger engine is only available on the top trim or 2. And to be fair the 1.5L is still just as good as anything in the compact/ subcompact class. The 2.0 is just WAY better.
I'm driving a rental escape 1.5 now, I'll do a quick thread on it later, but that 1.5 is more than plenty! I just have to try it loaded with people though...also with a 100hp difference I'm nervous to try the 2.0, I don't wanna know what I'll be missing out on 🤣

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aro
I'm driving a rental escape 1.5 now, I'll do a quick thread on it later, but that 1.5 is more than plenty! I just have to try it loaded with people though...also with a 100hp difference I'm nervous to try the 2.0, I don't wanna know what I'll be missing out on 🤣
Just over 4,000lb with 4 people in it. 190lbft and 8speeds should still SCOOT.
gotta remember the 1995 Ranger 4.0 only had 30 more lbft and a 4 speed and still moved pretty good and weighs about the same.

NavyBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
If I can’t get a 4 cylinder in lower trims I’ll buy the base 2022 Nissan Frontier.
You can only get a V6 in the Frontier now.

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can only get a V6 in the Frontier now.
That’s part of his point. Either base ranger or Frontier with ~300hp. vs Lower trim Maverick with only ~200hp

Sponsored

dano0726

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The 2.0 in our Badlands is noticeably better than the 1.5 that I test-drove (just for comparison) I don't know if I had it in ECO/SPORT/??? mode though...

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
The 2.0 in our Badlands is noticeably better than the 1.5 that I test-drove (just for comparison) I don't know if I had it in ECO/SPORT/??? mode though...
Better from a street light, better at highway passing? How would you say it differs? Do you find yourself maxing it out often?

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
that's interesting. I think they have some bum info there in this part: "Rumor has it that the Ranger is moving onto the T6 platform and so will share its underpinnings with the Bronco. " Multiple places it has been reported this next coming Ranger will stay with same platform but revised to offer a better ride quality and correct some other major owner and magazine complaints of current Ranger- basically same approach Nissan is using with this "New" Frontier. Namely updated body work, interior, and suspension tuning on existing platform. The spy shots are much different than all others I've seen of test mules with Super cab: windshield is far more angled back and looks like extended wheelbase too in addition to the single cab and longer appearing bed.

This one might be a contractor targeted special like Lightning Pro, a fleet special- or even the NEXT generation coming after the model coming in 2022 as a 2023 model year Ranger. Interesting all the same.

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can respect that. It’s just I look at it as. If your already spending the money get mor for it. But if you are actually going to be using the bed and don’t need the frills. Yea base Ranger or Frontier is right up your ally.
Great....you've expressed a desire for the XL Ranger RWD, so buy that.

Some of us need the quad/crew cab more than a an extended bed.

My guess is IFF this sells better than the Ecosport, then you will see lower end "commercial" offerings of the Maverick pickup.

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
I have the 1.5L in my Escape. It does well in Northern VA traffic on the beltway and I-95. I tried it on Sport mode once and yeah... I'm not responsible enough for that. lol Sport mode is pretty zippy for a CUV.

What's funny is when my Focus died, I had to use a rental car for a week so I could get to work. My local Enterprise only had one option available: a Dodge Challenger. Talk about massive leap in engine performance. That was a very fun week.

Sponsored

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
I have the 1.5L in my Escape. It does well in Northern VA traffic on the beltway and I-95. I tried it on Sport mode once and yeah... I'm not responsible enough for that. lol Sport mode is pretty zippy for a CUV.

What's funny is when my Focus died, I had to use a rental car for a week so I could get to work. My local Enterprise only had one option available: a Dodge Challenger. Talk about massive leap in engine performance. That was a very fun week.
Do you also find it a little shaky at low RPM's? The engine makes a great growl for 1.5, and If you're in a rolling start, that turbo hooks on hard

Funny enough I was returning a 1.4T Golf and wanted the Challenger but they had none so they offered to upgrade me to a Toyota chr...yea right 🤣 I saw the Ford as literally escape'd that situation

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
Do you also find it a little shaky at low RPM's? The engine makes a great growl for 1.5, and If you're in a rolling start, that turbo hooks on hard

Funny enough I was returning a 1.4T Golf and wanted the Challenger but they had none so they offered to upgrade me to a Toyota chr...yea right 🤣 I saw the Ford as literally escape'd that situation
See... I came from a '14 Focus, so nothing compares to the shakes I had in it. I will say that I can definitely notice the cylinder deactivation on lower speed much more than at higher speeds. If I'm at a low speed when cylinder deactivation is engaged, come to a slow down/stop, and then accelerate, I have noticed a momentary vibration in the car as the turbo spools, the 3rd cylinder comes back into play, and the transmission changes gears. I just assumed it was the car swearing at me and telling me to watch it.

dano0726

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just like the 85 additional foot pounds of torque (when comparing the 2.0L versus 1.5L in the Bronco Sport) That made a hell of a difference when cruising at highway speeds...