First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Maverick Sync 3 system has moved different configuration options from other Ford Sync 3 systems most likely due to the different audio option supplied in the lower trim levels which also moved some configurations to the steering wheel.

I just took delivery of our Lariat Deluxe EcoBoost this past Thursday. After trying to activate the vehicle to my FordPass app with my sales person, I quickly learned that there are A LOT of options/features that are included with my 2019 Escape and 2021 Bronco Sport Sync3 systems that aren't enabled in the Maverick Sync 3 system.

The first is the inability to configure the remote start options. The "Remote Start" option that is supposed to be under "Vehicle" just isn't there. Because of that, we can't increase or decrease the amount of time that the engine runs for when started with the remote start key fob. We also can not tell it to use auto settings, custom settings or last used settings for the interior climate controls. What that means is that when you remote start the vehicle it turns on EVERYTHING - both driver and passenger heated seats, cabin heater, front and rear window defrosters, and the heated steering wheel.

2). Under the "Vehicle" option another field that is missing is the "Lighting" option. You can not turn off the auto high beam through the Maverick's Sync 3 system. The only way to do it with the Maverick is to take the lights off of Auto mode after you start the truck and put them into manual mode. This has to be done EVERY TIME you start the truck because it defaults to auto mode.

3). Under the "Vehicle" option the "Cruise Control" settings are missing. Unlike my Escape and Bronco Sport you can not change from adaptive cruise control to regular cruise control. It is permanently set to ACC.

4). Also missing is the controls for the Lane keeping system. You can not change if you only want the wheel to vibrate, vibrate and correct, or do nothing. You also can not set the intensity of the wheel vibration. It is always on to vibrate and correct and "normal" vibration.

5). Options are missing under FordPass. We couldn't get the vehicle to activate with my app when we were at the dealership and neither my sales rep or I could figure it out since we had both done it before numerous times on other Sync 3 vehicles. Yesterday I figured out why and it's because they dropped the options for FordPass from the Maverick's Sync 3 button. The only option under the Sync 3 FordPass button is for the WiFi modem, nothing else. I had to go into the APPS button, add the FordPass under phone apps, configure it, restart the Maverick, and only then was I able to activate it on my phone.

6). They changed the Ambient Lighting and settings. On my Escape you could choose different colors for the lighting effects - not any more. Now you only have the option for brightness with a dimmer and the only color is a pale blue.

I don't understand why the configuration options are disabled in the Maverick Sync 3 system when they are enabled in every other Sync 3 system. The Sync 3 system is one of the reasons that we went with the Lariat Deluxe version. The only other thing that I can think of is that I might be able to turn them all on using the ForScan program. I'll have to go through all of the Sync 3 options and see which other ones have been disabled. I was looking at getting another APIM that includes the Navigation system to upgrade this one, but that is a little pricey at the moment.

😞
Sponsored

Last edited:

YazYaz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just took delivery of our Lariat Deluxe EcoBoost this past Thursday. After trying to activate the vehicle to my FordPass app, I quickly learned that there are A LOT of options/features that are included with my 2019 Escape and 2021 Bronco Sport Sync3 systems that aren't enabled in the Maverick.

The first and biggest one for us is the inability to configure the remote start options. The "Remote Start" option that is supposed to be under "Vehicle" just isn't there. Because of that, we can't increase or decrease the amount of time that the engine runs for when started with the remote start key fob. We also can not tell it to use auto settings, custom settings or last used settings for the interior climate controls. What that means is that when you remote start the vehicle it turns on EVERYTHING - both driver and passenger heated seats, cabin heater, front and rear window defrosters, and the heated steering wheel.

2). Under the "Vehicle" option another field that is missing is the "Lighting" option. You can not turn off the auto high beam through the Maverick's Sync 3 system. The only way to do it with the Maverick is to take the lights off of Auto mode after you start the truck and put them into manual mode. This has to be done EVERY TIME you start the truck because it defaults to auto mode.

3). Under the "Vehicle" option the "Cruise Control" settings are missing. Unlike my Escape and Bronco Sport you can not change from adaptive cruise control to regular cruise control. It is permanently set to ACC.

4). Also missing is the controls for the Lane keeping system. You can not change if you only want the wheel to vibrate, vibrate and correct, or do nothing. You also can not set the intensity of the wheel vibration. It is always on to vibrate and correct and "normal" vibration.

5). Options are missing under FordPass. We couldn't get the vehicle to activate with my app when we were at the dealership and neither my sales rep or I could figure it out since we had both done it before numerous times on other Sync 3 vehicles. Yesterday I figured out why and it's because they dropped the options for FordPass from the Maverick's Sync 3 button. The only option under the Sync 3 FordPass button is for the WiFi modem, nothing else. I had to go into the APPS button, add the FordPass under phone apps, configure it, restart the Maverick, and only then was I able to activate it on my phone.

6). They changed the Ambient Lighting and settings. On my Escape you could choose different colors for the lighting effects - not any more. Now you only have the option for brightness with a dimmer and the only color is a pale blue.

I don't understand why the configuration options are disabled in the Maverick Sync 3 system when they are enabled in every other Sync 3 system. The Sync 3 system is one of the reasons that we went with the Lariat Deluxe version. The only other thing that I can think of is that I might be able to turn them all on using the ForScan program. I'll have to go through all of the Sync 3 options and see which other ones have been disabled. I was looking at getting another APIM that includes the Navigation system to upgrade this one, but that is a little pricey at the moment.

:mad: 😞☹
Are you able to make those those settings from the controls in your vehice?

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wouldn't it have been easier to consult the owners manual before typing out all these complaints?

Ford Maverick Maverick Lariat Sync 3 Differences From Other Sync 3 Systems Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.26.50 AM

Ford Maverick Maverick Lariat Sync 3 Differences From Other Sync 3 Systems Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.27.09 AM

Ford Maverick Maverick Lariat Sync 3 Differences From Other Sync 3 Systems Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.28.04 AM

Ford Maverick Maverick Lariat Sync 3 Differences From Other Sync 3 Systems Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.28.40 AM

Ford Maverick Maverick Lariat Sync 3 Differences From Other Sync 3 Systems Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.23.15 AM

Ford Maverick Maverick Lariat Sync 3 Differences From Other Sync 3 Systems Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.25.32 AM

Ford Maverick Maverick Lariat Sync 3 Differences From Other Sync 3 Systems Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.36.19 AM

Ford Maverick Maverick Lariat Sync 3 Differences From Other Sync 3 Systems Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.32.30 AM

Ford Maverick Maverick Lariat Sync 3 Differences From Other Sync 3 Systems Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.28.04 AM

OP
OP
Whitenight

Whitenight

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wouldn't it have been easier to consult the owners manual before typing out all these complaints?
Who said anything about Complaints? I'm not saying that Ford or the Maverick are screwed up!

However Ford changed the rules with the Maverick by having different ways to configure options
based upon the Audio system installed and unavailable vehicle options.

If you had read the header of my post, I said that it was the DIFFERENCES between the Maverick Sync 3 system and other Sync 3 systems and that these settings were being done at the dealer with the sales person there also. The Bronco Sport still has the settings in the Sync 3 while the Maverick does not - they are both built on the SAME production line. I also never stated that the changes couldn't be made - only that there was a DIFFERENCE in how the changes are made. Obviously Ford never informed their dealers that there was a change as to how things worked. I had the same salesperson for my Escape, Bronco Sport, and my Maverick!

Since Ford decided to only put the Sync 3 system in only the Lariat trim, it appears that they used the steering wheel for the lower trims to be able to make settings that would normally have been done through the Sync 3 system IF it is available since Cruise Control isn't - (oh, a difference). I would also have paid the extra dollars for the navigation system, but again for the lower trim models the Audio Only system that Ford put in doesn't allow it, so Ford decided to make a cost decision.

Just as people have been saying the SIBL should be an option on all deluxe packages, if you opt for the Lariat Deluxe package then the Sync 3 system upgrades should be an option also.

In my opinion, since I paid for the Sync 3 system, the options should have been left in it and instead disable it from the steering wheel and the small dash screen and only use that for the lower trim levels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Whitenight

Whitenight

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Are you able to make those those settings from the controls in your vehice?
Ford moved some of the controls to settings on the steering wheel and dash screen for the Maverick probably due to different systems in the various trim levels. By doing so, they disabled the ones in the Sync 3 system, so now instead of being in ONE place they are in TWO.

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you had read the header of my post, I said that it was the DIFFERENCES between the Maverick Sync 3 system and other Sync 3 systems and that these settings were being done at the dealer with the sales person there also.
Actually, I did read your post. And I found gems like this:

we can't increase or decrease the amount of time that the engine runs for when started with the remote start key fob.
False.

We also can not tell it to use auto settings, custom settings or last used settings for the interior climate controls.
False.

You can not turn off the auto high beam through the Maverick's Sync 3 system. The only way to do it with the Maverick is to take the lights off of Auto mode after you start the truck and put them into manual mode. This has to be done EVERY TIME you start the truck because it defaults to auto mode.
False.

Unlike my Escape and Bronco Sport you can not change from adaptive cruise control to regular cruise control. It is permanently set to ACC.
False.

Also missing is the controls for the Lane keeping system. You can not change if you only want the wheel to vibrate, vibrate and correct, or do nothing.
False.

So, I am not sure how I should have read your post. You said it was different, sure, but you didn't say anything about the options all still be available but moved to the center cluster. You just said repeatedly things can't be done. That automatic high beams have to be switched off manually every time. That the cruise control is "permanently" adaptive. That you "cannot" change the lane keep warnings/aids. In fact, all of these things are still available but in a different location.

OP
OP
Whitenight

Whitenight

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Actually, I did read your post. And I found gems like this:

So, I am not sure how I should have read your post. You said it was different, sure, but you didn't say anything about the options all still be available but moved to the center cluster. You just said repeatedly things can't be done.
Through the Maverick Sync 3 system as on other Sync 3 systems - NO, it can not be done which is why - and I still maintain - it is DIFFERENT!

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Through the Maverick Sync 3 system as on other Sync 3 systems - NO, it can not be done which is why - and I still maintain - it is DIFFERENT!
You said a bunch of stupid shit in your post, like the cruise control is "permanently adaptive" and that turning off automatic high beams was something that had to be done manually every time. This is bad information, and I corrected it. Simple as that. It might be different than other Fords, but that it can't be done via Sync is inconsequential.. since it can be done easily through the gauge cluster.

YazYaz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford moved some of the controls to settings on the steering wheel and dash screen for the Maverick probably due to different systems in the various trim levels. By doing so, they disabled the ones in the Sync 3 system, so now instead of being in ONE place they are in TWO.
I have had many Ford vehicles, including a 2019 Ford Escape, and those control were always on the steering wheel. I have Ford Pass and those controls have never been there and still are not.

My understanding of Ford Sync is that it is an "InfoTainment" system. It has nothing to do with the controls you mention.

Last edited:

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have had many Ford vehicles, including a 2019 Ford Escape, and those control were always on the steering wheel. I have Ford Pass and those controls have never been there and still are not.

My understanding of Ford Sync is that it is an "InfoTainment" system. It has nothing to do with the controls you mention.
Sync is actually separate from the infotainment system and stored in it's own component called an APIM module. In theory you want SYNC as it is installed in a Ford Escape it maybe possible to just load in the correct software to upgrade it. If you don't have the APIM it should be doable by adding a module that does like the one on the Lariat's w/ the lux package to an XL.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Whitenight

Whitenight

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
. It might be different than other Fords, but that it can't be done via Sync is inconsequential.. since it can be done easily through the gauge cluster.
It might be inconsequential to you, however when you pay extra for something such as Sync 3, you expect it to work exactly like it does in other Sync 3 systems and not be modified because Ford wants to sell more of the lower cost trim levels. Simple as that. Obviously you have a lot of time on your hands since you went and documented exactly what I was saying about the changes by pasting pages from the manual that shows that they ARE NOT IN THE SYNC 3 SYSTEM on the Maverick. Also simple as that.

OP
OP
Whitenight

Whitenight

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

My 2019 Escape Titanium has all of the controls in the Sync 3 system. The only thing on the steering wheel is to turn on/off the Cruise control and set speed and distance. The only other controls were phone controls and volumes.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Operation and features change over time and can differ vehicle to vehicle. My 802a ‘19 Raptor would allow selection of ambient light colors. 2020 802a Raptor’s were limited to blue. It is what it is....

YazYaz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sync is actually separate from the infotainment system and stored in it's own component called an APIM module.
"separate from the infotainment system"? That's what SYNC is all about.

Ford SYNC, no matter which version, has nothing to do with heated seats, engine run time, climate controls, lighting, cruise control, lane keeping etc. It is run via the APIM computer/module but so what? Just because the APIM computer/module controls other feature does not mean all things that the APIM controls are part of SYNC. It may be correct to say that the controls on Ford Pass have changed, but not SYNC.

SYNC® Technology

See Where Your Voice Can Take You
SYNC provides hands-free connectivity to your compatible, Bluetooth® enabled phone, giving you the ability to make calls, get directions, play music, access apps and more — simply by using your voice.

• Ford Maverick Maverick Lariat Sync 3 Differences From Other Sync 3 Systems Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.28.04 AM

Make Hands-Free Calls

Once your phone is paired, you can make calls with the push of a button and the sound of your voice to hear the conversation through your vehicle’s speakers. You can also allow SYNC to automatically download the names and numbers programmed in your compatible phone, for added convenience.27
  • Ford Maverick Maverick Lariat Sync 3 Differences From Other Sync 3 Systems Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.28.04 AM

Get Directions on the Go

Stopping to ask a stranger for unreliable directions or pulling out a bulky map are things of the past with the available voice-activated Navigation System.

Voice-Activated App Control

Take your digital life on the road with cordless control of your vehicle’s functions. Access features through the center touchscreen or simply with the sound of your voice. And with Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ compatibility,161 you can wirelessly connect and control your mobile screens from your center screen display.

Play Music and More From Your Phone

SYNC gives you voice-activated27 control of your compatible phone’s music and podcasts so you can stream them through your vehicle’s speakers.

Phone Connectivity

SYNC 4 Technology features Apple CarPlay or Android Auto wireless compatibility, which allows you to easily access many of your phone apps while driving.161

Access Your Vehicle With Your Phone

When your vehicle is equipped with FordPass™ Connect,5 you can use the FordPass™ App164 to access complimentary features that give you the ability to start,* stop, lock** and unlock** your vehicle from just about anywhere.5
    *Automatic transmission only.
    **Remote lock/unlock requires power door locks.

Keep Connected With In-Vehicle Wi-Fi

With FordPass™ Connect,5 Ford owners and passengers can utilize an available 4G LTE in-vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot,5 powered by AT&T. Connect up to 10 devices at once, up to 50 feet outside the vehicle, and use FordPass™ to keep track of Wi-Fi data usage.9

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
"separate from the infotainment system"? That's what SYNC is all about.

Ford SYNC, no matter which version, has nothing to do with heated seats, engine run time, climate controls, lighting, cruise control, lane keeping etc. It is run via the APIM computer/module but so what? Just because the APIM computer/module controls other feature does not mean all things that the APIM controls are part of SYNC. It may be correct to say that the controls on Ford Pass have changed, but not SYNC.

SYNC® Technology

See Where Your Voice Can Take You
SYNC provides hands-free connectivity to your compatible, Bluetooth® enabled phone, giving you the ability to make calls, get directions, play music, access apps and more — simply by using your voice.

Make Hands-Free Calls

Once your phone is paired, you can make calls with the push of a button and the sound of your voice to hear the conversation through your vehicle’s speakers. You can also allow SYNC to automatically download the names and numbers programmed in your compatible phone, for added convenience.27

Get Directions on the Go

Stopping to ask a stranger for unreliable directions or pulling out a bulky map are things of the past with the available voice-activated Navigation System.

Voice-Activated App Control

Take your digital life on the road with cordless control of your vehicle’s functions. Access features through the center touchscreen or simply with the sound of your voice. And with Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ compatibility,161 you can wirelessly connect and control your mobile screens from your center screen display.

Play Music and More From Your Phone

SYNC gives you voice-activated27 control of your compatible phone’s music and podcasts so you can stream them through your vehicle’s speakers.

Phone Connectivity

SYNC 4 Technology features Apple CarPlay or Android Auto wireless compatibility, which allows you to easily access many of your phone apps while driving.161

Access Your Vehicle With Your Phone

When your vehicle is equipped with FordPass™ Connect,5 you can use the FordPass™ App164 to access complimentary features that give you the ability to start,* stop, lock** and unlock** your vehicle from just about anywhere.5
    *Automatic transmission only.
    **Remote lock/unlock requires power door locks.

Keep Connected With In-Vehicle Wi-Fi

With FordPass™ Connect,5 Ford owners and passengers can utilize an available 4G LTE in-vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot,5 powered by AT&T. Connect up to 10 devices at once, up to 50 feet outside the vehicle, and use FordPass™ to keep track of Wi-Fi data usage.9
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Sync

See section called system hardware
" The SYNC computer, which Ford calls the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM), is housed separately from the head unit, called the Audio Control Module (ACM), and interfaces with all vehicle audio sources as well as the high-speed and medium-speed vehicle Can-buses."
Sponsored

Last edited: