Maverick Interior size speculation

Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 53 Dodge M37
You can get a bed extender for less than $100 on Amazon. The bed on my '98 Jeep Wrangler is 3' x 3'. I removed the side-hinged tailgate and replaced it with a Humvee tailgate hinged on the bottom which gave me another 2'. I can haul 4' x 8' plywood, diagonally, on edge. Plywood does not have to be hauled flat.

Last edited:

toystwo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy S-10
Yes, the Ridgeline has a huge under bed compartment that can double as a cooler for tailgate parties. It also has a shelf in the top for the spare & jack which is pretty clever and convenient. It would actually make sense for the Maverick as well considering the independent rear suspension.
There are a lot of reasons I don’t like my 2019 Ridgeline, but the compartment is one thing that I love.
Not to derail this thread but what are the things you don’t like about the Ridgeline? I’m considering one. I‘m OK with 5k towing and the bed is bigger than any mid size crew cab. They are pricey.

Reactions: Doc

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Not to derail this thread but what are the things you don’t like about the Ridgeline? I’m considering one. I‘m OK with 5k towing and the bed is bigger than any mid size crew cab. They are pricey.
There’s the typical cool things Honda thought of, like the in-bed storage that doubles as a cooler. Spare under the bed instead of being under the truck. AC power outlets. And a goofy but cool one is you can turn the truck bed into a big speaker for the sound system. Carbon fiber bed liner, two-way tailgate.. All of that is cool.

What is not cool is the ground clearance. It is unacceptable for a “truck”. A Subaru Outback has about an inch more ground clearance than the Ridgeline!

it does NOT have a ruggedized unibody like the Bronco Sport does, so you CANNOT take it off road at all. Not even light off road. It has an AWD system suitable for pavement only.

I had the transmission overheat pulling my boat and trailer last summer. Boat & trailer weigh 3900 lb. Towing capacity (I have the RTL-E w AWD) 5500 lb. So it should have had no problem towing it.

I was also on a paved, narrow mountain road when I first got it. There was an F-150 and a Tacoma ahead of me. Coming in the other direction was a large truck, so we all swerved slightly offthe road to give him room. There was a small (and I mean small) rock protruding at the side of the road. F-150 went over it, no problem, Tacoma went over it, no problem, my Ridgeline? Got stuck on the rock with $8,000 worth of damage!

Not only is the ground clearance abysmal, but Honda didn’t put ANY skid plates on the bottom! They don’t even sell them as aftermarket. 🤦🏼‍♂️

If you really want a Ridgeline, wait until the facelift is available that makes it look like a truck. Mine looks like an emasculated “truck” (i.e. it looks like a Pilot in the front)

New look attached
Ford Maverick Maverick Interior size speculation C9BD283A-E029-4844-BD59-777B43356BA4

Last edited:

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ive used a first gen Ridgeline as a workhorse a few times and theyre pretty neat overall. I even steered my step-sister and her husband into a brand new one a few years ago they love the thing. They were cross-shopping the Tacoma and i think they made the absolute right choice for their needs. The Ridgeline excels at being more driver friendly while retaining van/car like feel but it has the bed and storage options of a truck. Most they would use it for is light trail riding while in transit to their destinations and it works great for that. The Maverick is going to be basically the same as the Ridgeline but with less capability and smaller. I don't expect to be offroading in it, or towing with it, or hauling giant loads with it. What I do expect is to maybe get a ladder rack/roof rack combo and have one of the best utilitarian work/play vehicle for the price. I plan to rip out the rear seats immediately to build a box for my tools and what not. Then with a ladder rack/roof rack combo combined with the little bed it should serve about 98% of what Id use a truck for.

Also I can honestly say that refreshed Ridgeline front end that was posted above is one of the ugliest facelifts ive ever seen. Yikes. If given the choice I would take the current front end easily. That new Ridgeline front reminds me of the third gen Tacoma where it has the hideous overbite look. So much unnecessary chunkiness in the front end. Ill give the newer Ranger props, i think its front end looks great. Subtle and not over-stylized like crazy(sadly the leaks make it look like the new Ranger is gonna follow the trend of bulky, silly looking front ends).

Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Ive used a first gen Ridgeline as a workhorse a few times and theyre pretty neat overall. I even steered my step-sister and her husband into a brand new one a few years ago they love the thing. They were cross-shopping the Tacoma and i think they made the absolute right choice for their needs. The Ridgeline excels at being more driver friendly while retaining van/car like feel but it has the bed and storage options of a truck. Most they would use it for is light trail riding while in transit to their destinations and it works great for that. The Maverick is going to be basically the same as the Ridgeline but with less capability and smaller. I don't expect to be offroading in it, or towing with it, or hauling giant loads with it. What I do expect is to maybe get a ladder rack/roof rack combo and have one of the best utilitarian work/play vehicle for the price. I plan to rip out the rear seats immediately to build a box for my tools and what not. Then with a ladder rack/roof rack combo combined with the little bed it should serve about 98% of what Id use a truck for.

Also I can honestly say that refreshed Ridgeline front end that was posted above is one of the ugliest facelifts ive ever seen. Yikes. If given the choice I would take the current front end easily. That new Ridgeline front reminds me of the third gen Tacoma where it has the hideous overbite look. So much unnecessary chunkiness in the front end. Ill give the newer Ranger props, i think its front end looks great. Subtle and not over-stylized like crazy(sadly the leaks make it look like the new Ranger is gonna follow the trend of bulky, silly looking front ends).
Want to buy a 2019 Ridgeline? You can buy mine as soon as the Maverick is available. As a product, the Ridgeline is an enigma, which is why Honda has had such a hard time selling it.

I really hate the emasculated, soccer-mom Odyssey front-end.
When I bought my Ridgeline, it was the thing I kept debating bc I hated it so much. I think the new front end looks much better. (Hopefully this new front end can actually clear the curbs when parking!)

I also think it’s hilarious that Honda bothered to put a fake crack (it’s an indentation in the steel with a vinyl gasket) in the body to delineate the cab from the bed as pointed out by Car & Driver. 🤦🏼‍♂️

The dealer told me you can’t even do light off-roading in the Ridgeline as it will burn out AWD components and there are NO skid plates anywhere! (this in spite of the fact Honda had posters in the dealership of the modified Ridgeline (which mechanically bears no resemblance to the commercial version) in the Baja race 🤦🏼‍♂️)

And Honda has no excuse as to why a Subaru Crosstrek has 1” more of ground clearance than a Ridgeline.

The Maverick should be able to off-road quite nicely since it uses the ruggedized platform of the Bronco Sport. Bronco Sport is fully off-road capable. I don’t think Ford, being the king of trucks, would hobble it that way and limit its appeal (I wouldn’t buy it)

I just hope the Maverick has the towing capacity I need.

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Want to buy a 2019 Ridgeline? You can buy mine as soon as the Maverick is available. As a product, the Ridgeline is an enigma, which is why Honda has had such a hard time selling it.

I really hate the emasculated, soccer-mom Odyssey front-end.
When I bought my Ridgeline, it was the thing I kept debating bc I hated it so much. I think the new front end looks much better. (Hopefully this new front end can actually clear the curbs when parking!)

I also think it’s hilarious that Honda bothered to put a fake crack (it’s an indentation in the steel with a vinyl gasket) in the body to delineate the cab from the bed as pointed out by Car & Driver. 🤦🏼‍♂️

The dealer told me you can’t even do light off-roading in the Ridgeline as it will burn out AWD components and there are NO skid plates anywhere! (this in spite of the fact Honda had posters in the dealership of the modified Ridgeline (which mechanically bears no resemblance to the commercial version) in the Baja race 🤦🏼‍♂️)

And Honda has no excuse as to why a Subaru Crosstrek has 1” more of ground clearance than a Ridgeline.

The Maverick should be able to off-road quite nicely since it uses the ruggedized platform of the Bronco Sport. Bronco Sport is fully off-road capable. I don’t think Ford, being the king of trucks, would hobble it that way and limit its appeal (I wouldn’t buy it)

I just hope the Maverick has the towing capacity I need.
Haha, i mean i DO really like my step sisters Ridgeline but i think a used '19 is beyond my price range. Im the type of person whos looking at the base price for the Maverick and salivating at it. The Ridgeline is starting at like $37k next year for the refresh isnt it? Thats mind boggling to me.

I really dont think too much from the Maverick will surpass(or even equal) the Ridgeline at this price point. MAYBE the off-road ability will be better but i would put money on it not being as stout for towing or hauling purposes. The numbers just arent there. Much smaller in size, much smaller engine, and even the chassis underpinnings come down to Escape/Bronco Sport vs Odyssey/Pilot. Ill be the first to admit the Ridgeline has some flaws that make it fall short of the mid size competition but I certainly dont expect to Maverick to compete any better. I think the biggest tow capacity you can get on any of the 2.0 equipped vehicles is 3500 pounds and i think the Bronco Sport is only rated at 2000.

Im keeping my expectations for the Maverick in check because from what we've seen and the budget they're aiming for (below a Ranger) I dont see it being a competitor for anything else on the market currently. I mean, its a small front drive derived Ford Escape with a bed. Im not even sure if they'll see a market for matching the Bronco Sports capability off-road except on maybe the higher trims. I mean I think its going to sell like hotcakes but I really dont think itll sway the midsize market away from what they already have. This screams cheap, lifestyle type vehicle to me. Haul your bikes and outsdoor equipment mainly but still be able to grab some supplies from Lowes if you need to.

I adore the idea of the Maverick. I dont need the massive tow rating, dont need fancy gizmos and dont really care about having a bigger engine than a 4 pot. This is gonna function as a low priced economy car with a bed for me.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Haha, i mean i DO really like my step sisters Ridgeline but i think a used '19 is beyond my price range. Im the type of person whos looking at the base price for the Maverick and salivating at it. The Ridgeline is starting at like $37k next year for the refresh isnt it? Thats mind boggling to me.

I really dont think too much from the Maverick will surpass(or even equal) the Ridgeline at this price point. MAYBE the off-road ability will be better but i would put money on it not being as stout for towing or hauling purposes. The numbers just arent there. Much smaller in size, much smaller engine, and even the chassis underpinnings come down to Escape/Bronco Sport vs Odyssey/Pilot. Ill be the first to admit the Ridgeline has some flaws that make it fall short of the mid size competition but I certainly dont expect to Maverick to compete any better. I think the biggest tow capacity you can get on any of the 2.0 equipped vehicles is 3500 pounds and i think the Bronco Sport is only rated at 2000.

Im keeping my expectations for the Maverick in check because from what we've seen and the budget they're aiming for (below a Ranger) I dont see it being a competitor for anything else on the market currently. I mean, its a small front drive derived Ford Escape with a bed. Im not even sure if they'll see a market for matching the Bronco Sports capability off-road except on maybe the higher trims. I mean I think its going to sell like hotcakes but I really dont think itll sway the midsize market away from what they already have. This screams cheap, lifestyle type vehicle to me. Haul your bikes and outsdoor equipment mainly but still be able to grab some supplies from Lowes if you need to.

I adore the idea of the Maverick. I dont need the massive tow rating, dont need fancy gizmos and dont really care about having a bigger engine than a 4 pot. This is gonna function as a low priced economy car with a bed for me.
I hear you. My Ridgeline is an RTL-E, and at $45K new, should have many of the things I complained about. Reason why the base is so high on the Ridgeline is bc they make no “basic” version of it (even further limiting its appeal)..

I’m really hoping Ford makes a Lariat version of the Maverick. I don’t need/want a large truck. But I do want leather seats, etc, etc along with real truck capabilities and options (real 4WD, higher ground clearance, etc). I also want it to look like a “truck”. I was horrified at some of the speculation mock-ups we’ve seen, but very happy w the spy photos.

Remember, towing capacity is a function not only drivetrain but vehicle length etc. Hence why a top of the line Jeep Rubicon only has a tow capacity of 3500 lb. Yet the Gladiator has 7,000 lb.

we had a 2014 Escape w AWD and that had a tow capacity of 3500 lb. So, based on the toughened version of the same platform, I’m hoping Ford can get it to 4500 lb. Then I’ll be good!

Hopefully Ford can build a version that satisfies us both!

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
I’ll play along with this and just give my prediction. I don’t have any basis for this outside of speculation. Obviously focusing heavily on the Bronco Sport and Escape.

Front Legroom: 42.4”
Front Headroom: 41.5”
Front Hip Room: 55.2”
Front Shoulder: 57.3”

Rear Legroom: 38.8”
Rear Hiproom: 53.4”
Rear Headroom: 41.5”
Rear Shoulder: 55.8”

Total Length: 198.2”
Total Width: 75”
Bed Length: 50.5”
Bed Width: 49.5”