PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok, then I will change my definition/plans from 'off-roading' to more 'soft-roading'. More a little Starbucks and stargazing. I think the Maverick will do fine on dirt/gravel roads. I just need something to get out of the city and find some peace and quiet out in nature.
Sponsored

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Off-Road is a pretty subjective term. That aside, some people believe that just because you add a lift and big tires you can go anywhere but I've seen firsthand a time when the only vehicle that made it up a section of a trail was a rusty stock 40 year old jeep due to the angle of the road. The other vehicles had to back down the trail (I had a good view as I was in the back of the jeep hanging off the uphill side to keep us from tipping). It's all about the right tool for the job, and I think the maverick will fit the bill for a huge percentage of the population. So many guys around here running around with off road trucks that haven't ever even seen dirt.

I was impressed with what I saw in the SIMA video that got posted showing the skid plates. I thought the rotors looked small though.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Ok, then I will change my definition/plans from 'off-roading' to more 'soft-roading'. More a little Starbucks and stargazing. I think the Maverick will do fine on dirt/gravel roads. I just need something to get out of the city and find some peace and quiet out in nature.
no need to fear a rut, just be aware of limits.

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm going to change my Bed Decal to read....
Ford Maverick Maverick FX4 off-road capability? FX4 Soft Road

deadeye

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great news that you got the FX4 and 2.0ā€¦ so you can tow something to the ORV parks. Most of the side by sides are well over $20k now (more than many Mav MSRP) and will be much better suited for trails and serious off roading. The Maverick should do a great job of getting through fire roads, camping areas and bad weather but I wouldnā€™t take it anywhere overly technical. That is where Jeepā€™s and SxSs live. I added the tow package to my FX4 in the event a SxS is in my future and I can exceed the 2k tow limit when needed.
This is exactly my plan as well! I got FX4 just for some goodies to help on the occasioanal muddy,gravel, or snowy road (plus it looks sweet with those black wheels). But no way I would take it to any off-road park, overlanding, or Moab.

4K towing is exactly in my plan for hauling a SxS. Even a workbed style $10 SxS has more ground clearance stock than a $50k Rubicon or Sasquatch.

Sponsored

deadeye

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Donā€™t forget Ford warranties the FX4 version if used for Off Road vs. no warranty using other versions of Maverick without FX4 off roading.
Really?

deadeye

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Way too many people here who should be ordering a Ranger instead of the Maverick.
Yeah, I was drooling over Broncos with 19mpg, Then Ranger Tremor with 19mpg, but decided a lower to ground Maverick with 4k truck would be better MPG for daily driving and put the $10-25k I save toward a SxS and other toys to ocassionally tow/haul. Then I am not off-roading with my nice new 40-55k truck and just have to get back to the parking lot for the Maverick to tow us home.

deadeye

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The rims sold me on the FX4, the AWD will be a bonus on the dirt roads around me. As far as compared to a Bronco sport, I think it may be better because of the extra torque and horsepower vs the 1.5L (except the Badlands that one should be better)
I am in it for the black wheels also!

And the badging (and few minor upgrades add some piece of mind). I know its not an off-roader, but I will feel better if its muddy, sandy, or snowy on some backroads or campsites.

The Badlands pakcage for bronco sport has alot more going for it than just the engine. In addition to larger engine, the Badlands also has the twinster dual clutch rear axle, and way better ground clearance, approach, breakover, and departure angles than the base bronco sport.

The FX4 has none of those except the 2.0T engine, plus to make it worse, the longer wheelbase and bed overhang after the rear wheels further hurt breakover and departure angles from a base bronco sport (without badlands package).

deadeye

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
exactly it seems like a lot of people are buying a maverick and expecting Ranger performance which is NOT ever going to happen.... apples and oranges.

For me is a small truck that will do everything I realistically need and fit in my garage(I have a 5 car garage with 3 individual tiny doors and an HOA that won't let me modify the house)
Amen, brother.
As it is I gotta clear 20" more room than my focus to fit the Maverick in the garage. And thinking how to hide the trailer I want to get so the neighbors don't complain.

deadeye

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2nd this - my Honda Element has been down many trails and I've bottomed out many times. I've driven across unmowed fields and hit big ruts etc and as long as you keep it slow no problems.

I loved the small footprint and turning radius of the Element and it was a super flexible use vehicle - but it lacked room for camping gear when we had 4 people in it. This is why I'm getting the Maverick. It will do everything the Honda Element did and more and will give me more off road ability. The problem for most vehicles is not the little stuff - its the big holes/ruts -
<p>
I've seen other videos of people doing some good hills with Elements but again it's not an uneven surface -
He does hits some rocks in this video though -

<p>
Crazy thing is I never drive my wife's older Santa Fe and last weekend I realized it has a AWD lock button that engages the transfer clutch to transfer torque 50:50. We've never taken that vehicle off road but pretty cool to see that feature. These guys took a Santa Fe up the type of trail I expect Maverick owners might run into and likely the Maverick FX4 is going to have an advantage in performance -
<p>
The Maverick doesn't have a locking diff though and that's what it going to hurt any off road capabilities in my mind.
I would not call this off-roading, maybe seasonal roads?

I think Maverick will do this type of stuff no problem (uneven dirt and baseball sized rocks).

When I hear "off-roading" I am thinking 1-2ft diameter rocks, 60 degree incline/decline, or 1-2ft water fording, minimum.

Sponsored

deadeye

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Before I moved, I used to cruise the beach and pull people out for free. Mostly tourists who have never driven off road and/or have a mindset of "I have 4WD; I am invincible!"

I actually had one tourist say to me, "I don't know why I got stuck. I had it in Sand Mode!"
Hilarious!

I agree these "driving modes" are giving people un-realistic expectations. You still have to know how to drive, these modes with just make you 10% better if you are a novice driver, or 0% better if you are an expert driver :)

catinthebathtub

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
haas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 GT 350, 60 VW, 34 pickup and porsches....
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With the Mavvy, there will be no worry of getting stuck with the stuff I do, plus it has .25 - .5" higher ground clearance than my Mazdarati - which has never gotten seriously stuck and I've done crazy sh*t with it. Anyone who thinks the Maverick is a rock crawler, however, is probably in for some unpleasant realities...
I was thinking I was the only one that used ā€œmazdaratiā€.
got you beat though, mine is called the ā€œmacanā€™tā€.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Not all that hilarious. Some folks are telling me to buy a Ranger, others are telling me everything the Maverick canā€™t do. I have had several Broncoā€™s from 70 to 81. several F-150ā€™s, an F-250 all 4WD and a few lifted and beefed up motor and structurally. I know the various capabilities very well. I also know what the Mav can do and canā€™t do. Itā€™s amazing and a bit insulting to a few us mature folks that know exactly what weā€™re getting. The Mavericks capabilities will handle some rough roads, bad weather, and a drive on the beach with the right tires. Itā€™s not a freaking mountain climber. Ground clearance alone makes that clear. It is what it is and it works for me.

MAC1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 v8
So I just updated my order from a hybrid to the Ecoboost with AWD and FX4. I've only owned rear wheel drive trucks, and never done any off-roading, so I'm curious about what the general capabilities of the FX4 will be. I'm assuming I'm not going to go rock crawling or racing in Baja, but what would it's hypothetical limitations be? Sand, mud, steep mountain roads, once in a generation Texas winter apocalypse? Obviously we don't have them yet but it must have some comparable statistics that'll let us ballpark it.

Additionally does anyone know of a good primer for off-roading, especially with a less capable vehicle like the Maverick? I'd expect most are geared towards the jeeps, lifted midsize trucks and broncos of the world.

Lastly, I'm in Texas, and I've been seeing that Texas has OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) parks run by the parks and wildlife department. Does anyone have experience with those and think they'd be a good place to take a Maverick? Which ones if so?
Funny all the off road videos I have seen for maverick , none shown in snow!
Sponsored