First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
go to ford.com and build an XLT with the FX4 package to find out what the stock tires are for that.

OP
OP

stevhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
go to ford.com and build an XLT with the FX4 package to find out what the stock tires are for that.
Thanks. I know it ships with Pirellis, but I'd like to know if the reviewer in the video has switched them out for something better.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks. I know it ships with Pirellis, but I'd like to know if the reviewer in the video has switched them out for something better.
I doubt it whatever the stock FX4 package tires are is most likely what he is using and the reviewer left out a few details like did he try to climb that hill in regular drive mode or did he use the FX4 snow mode. He also is wrong on it having a low range mode. There is a low gear mode on the shifter. With that said if the reviewer didn't know what he was doing he still managed to overcome the obstacles in the video which is the key takeaway.

jbandc122

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Isuzu Vehicross, 2004 Boxster S, 2018 Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's the OEM Falken Wildpeaks

Ford Maverick Maverick FX4 AWD Off-Road Overland Review (Pirelli tires in video?) - by Expedition Portal Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 10.07.26 AM

Sponsored

OP
OP

stevhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It's the OEM Falken Wildpeaks

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 10.07.26 AM.png
Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. My camp is in similar conditions as depicted in the video and I wanted to to know whether I need to switch out the Pirellis or not.

Last edited:

Pogeegitz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Expedition Max XLT, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. My camp is in similar conditions as depicted in the video and I wanted to to know whether I need to switch out the Pirellis or not.
Personally, I'd switch them out. I've got the Pirelli's and I got stuck in a rut much less severe than anything in the video.
Ford Maverick Maverick FX4 AWD Off-Road Overland Review (Pirelli tires in video?) - by Expedition Portal 1648653811932

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Second that. I have a FX4 with the stock pirelli’s, if I was taking it off-road to a camp site, I would swap out the tires. These are highway friendly tires and don’t have a lot of tread or self-cleaning properties like a good A/T tire does. They did well in recent snow storms and have done pretty good in rain but I’ve had good sets of A/T tires before and these don’t compare. I’m only keeping my stock tires for now because I have another vehicle for off-road use if I need it.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It has to be the wildpeaks because he has the 18" wheels. FX4 wheels are black and those get the pirellis. The 18 are wildpeaks IIRC.

Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The Pirellis get loaded up with snow easily. I don't consider them to be true AT tires. For the street snow, they're fine.

I run Toyos in 245/65.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Personally, I'd switch them out. I've got the Pirelli's and I got stuck in a rut much less severe than anything in the video.
1648653811932.png
Im sorry but you were not stuck. If the person in the cowboy hat would climb into the bed and mount themselves on the tailgate and bounce a little while the person with the camera pulsed the throttle in reverse you would get out of that just fine.

I know we got alot of car drivers buying these trucks, so this may be a lesson people need to know. But if you got a truck, weight in the bed will get you unstuck. I used to drive a 2wd 91 ranger with too much motor and a 5 speed through snow and mud 3 times that depth on pure street tires. But once winter hit I loaded 2 75lb sandbags in the back right by the tailgate. The worst I went through in that truck was 10 full inches of snow on a unplowed and crowned 2 lane blacktop. Sure I could only go about 35 even though the speedo said 60-70 but after 15 miles of it I made it home.

Angry Hippo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hot Pepper Red, FX4, 4k Tow
1648653811932.png
That doesn't look all that bad... I've had my '06 Sportage AWD with the cheapest all season tires money can buy get out of a snow bank that went well past the mid tires/bottom body.

Maybe things look worse from the other side, but I can't imagine being 'stuck' in that.... then again, I've never run Pirelli's.

How did you end up getting out? Need a tow? Throw down some floor mats?
Sponsored