First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds like the exact same issue my dad had with his Powerboost f-150. It’s now being considered a lemon. The issues you had are almost the exact same, except the first few times it happened he still had engine power but not speedometer, then the last two times he had lost all engine power as well.
Sponsored

hownowbrowncow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP, I had the same error messages in the ford app after my truck went into limp mode in a similar fashion. Turns out that there was a leak in my electronic system coolant line that caused it to drain out (the leak was ultimately a pin hole in the radiator that the dealer took care of for free). Check your reservoirs under the hood to see if they're all at the proper level .

nrgSebastian

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Saturday night my hybrid maverick shut down on the highway and told me to pull over to a safe area as soon as possible.

I was merging into the highway, using eco mode and was accelerating slightly hard to get up to highway speed.

The car then lurched for a moment, said “Drive mode unavailable” and switched to normal, and the engine immediately shut off and went to electric only. It stayed that way for about a mile where it lost power and I stopped on the side of the highway.

I got out and popped the hood and looked for any signs of major failure but was unable to find anything.

After 5 - 10 minutes on the side of the road I tried to start it again but was presented with the same message. Shortly after that it successfully started up and I was able to get to my destination and eventually home.

I looked in the app when I was stuck on the side of the highway and it said high voltage system fault as well as Malfunction Indicator Lamp. The latter stayed on the rest of the night and part of the following morning when it eventually shut off. I’m planning on taking it into Ford after the holiday for service, but I hope they can troubleshoot it without the check engine light still on.

Has anyone heard of or seen anything similar?
Let us know what Ford did to prevent this from happening or why it happened.

Berfs1

First Name
Gourob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Hmm, since this issue is happening across different powertrains and vehicle... Potentially there is a major issue with the ECUs? Because it clearly can't be a mechanical failure, this seems like a programming issue with the drive modes.

Chris

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Saturday night my hybrid maverick shut down on the highway and told me to pull over to a safe area as soon as possible.

I was merging into the highway, using eco mode and was accelerating slightly hard to get up to highway speed.

The car then lurched for a moment, said “Drive mode unavailable” and switched to normal, and the engine immediately shut off and went to electric only. It stayed that way for about a mile where it lost power and I stopped on the side of the highway.

I got out and popped the hood and looked for any signs of major failure but was unable to find anything.

After 5 - 10 minutes on the side of the road I tried to start it again but was presented with the same message. Shortly after that it successfully started up and I was able to get to my destination and eventually home.

I looked in the app when I was stuck on the side of the highway and it said high voltage system fault as well as Malfunction Indicator Lamp. The latter stayed on the rest of the night and part of the following morning when it eventually shut off. I’m planning on taking it into Ford after the holiday for service, but I hope they can troubleshoot it without the check engine light still on.

Has anyone heard of or seen anything similar?
Please let us know if the dealer finds anything

Sponsored

jimbo722

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I had my appointment today at my dealer (Angela Krause Ford/Lincoln, Alpharetta, GA) and walked away highly disappointed, as I was told there was no one there who could look at it today and I would need to leave it there to be looked at some time next week. When I brought up the fact I would need a loaner to get me to and from work, they said they had no loaners available and it may be 2-3 weeks before I could get one. All this should've been explained when I made the appt for today, but it wasn't. I explained to the service advisor I spoke with today that in my mind this is a significant safety issue that needs to be elevated to the highest priority. I m hoping someone from Ford sees this post and contacts me as they did in April when I posted about this issue the first time it happened (it's happened 3 times now).
Ford, if you're monitoring, you have a very serious issue on your hands. Please do what's right for your customer's safety!

Ford Maverick Major malfunction of drive system. Screenshot_20220604-093202

OP
OP

PtViper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got the truck back and they didn’t have a written list of what was done. The Tech told the advisor he couldn’t write it down because what he did wasn’t a ford approved fix.

It was stated that the dealer group has seen a number of these hybrid mavericks come in with the same issue and the fix they’ve been using is to recalibrate some sensors.

There were 3 codes shown on the paperwork, P0811, U0401, and U0415.

They Assured me this would fix the issue and it wouldn’t happen anymore. They put about 50 miles on it during the couple days they had it so they definitely tested it out.
Fingers crossed! I’m happy to have my Mav back.

Ford Maverick Major malfunction of drive system. 60FBCCF3-D529-4C97-B01E-9EE34059D1EF

Ford Maverick Major malfunction of drive system. A087C121-39FC-4B0A-94F9-E9F1F83C12E3

Ford Maverick Major malfunction of drive system. 36B7174D-358E-4625-BD1C-C0A04C332AB7

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided
I got the truck back and they didn’t have a written list of what was done. The Tech told the advisor he couldn’t write it down because what he did wasn’t a ford approved fix.

It was stated that the dealer group has seen a number of these hybrid mavericks come in with the same issue and the fix they’ve been using is to recalibrate some sensors.

There were 3 codes shown on the paperwork, P0811, U0401, and U0415.

They Assured me this would fix the issue and it wouldn’t happen anymore. They put about 50 miles on it during the couple days they had it so they definitely tested it out.
Fingers crossed! I’m happy to have my Mav back.
I am tracking these comments in both of the main P0811 threads on here. This has happened to my Hybrid Maverick twice now under passing situations. Every time I am able to quickly pull over, turn the truck off, remove the key, and then open the door slightly to completely shut the truck down. Then, on restart it is back to normal with a yellow/orange check engine light that disappears in 25 or so miles or after a few stops. The "fix" they did is interesting for sure. Has the problem ever come back since?

TarpDogg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I unfortunately just experienced the dreaded P0811 error on my XLT Hybrid yesterday. Apparently, the FordPass system was able to remotely report a very long list of such error codes that have never shown up on my dash, but are stored in the system. Yesterday I accelerated to merge onto the interstate and the ICE shut off, an alarm sounded and a message telling me to pull over safely appeared. I was coasting on Electric only until I could find a safe parking spot to pull into. Once I shut off the truck I was able to restart and drive to the nearest dealer (close to where we were but an hour from home). They ran diagnostics for over an hour and were ready to send a request to Ford directly, but I couldn't leave my vehicle there without a loaner vehicle, which they didn't have. Long story short, it's sitting at my local dealer now for an unknown amount of time so they can diagnose the issue further. I'm hoping their transmission guy doesn't have to do any teardown to only find that it's a module etc. I will update when I know more.

jimbo722

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Someone from the NHTSA just contacted me regarding my complaint regarding this issue and Ford's lack of ability to fix it. They want to follow up with a phone call to gather more info. If you haven't filed a complaint with them yes, please do so, the more complaints they get maybe will get some action on Ford's part. Although I haven't experienced this particular issue since May, the fact that they did nothing to address the issue tells me it WILL happen again, it's just a matter of when.
Now it's in the shop (week #2) for the dreaded deep sleep/total dead battery issue. I'm almost ready to move on from this vehicle to get something more reliable.

Sponsored
OP
OP

PtViper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Will do! I didn’t even think about that. Do you have a link to the form?

OP
OP

PtViper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am tracking these comments in both of the main P0811 threads on here. This has happened to my Hybrid Maverick twice now under passing situations. Every time I am able to quickly pull over, turn the truck off, remove the key, and then open the door slightly to completely shut the truck down. Then, on restart it is back to normal with a yellow/orange check engine light that disappears in 25 or so miles or after a few stops. The "fix" they did is interesting for sure. Has the problem ever come back since?
It has not returned after they did the fix. I’m at 8500 miles now.

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided
Happened for the third time to mine this Sunday on the interstate.