First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well it happened again, this time when I asked the truck to go from 45mph to 55mph using over 50% power. I'm beginning to see a pattern. Asking the engine to power up over 50% seems to trigger the shut-down. The alert indicates an Electrical system fault in the High-voltage battery. I'm wondering if the HVB is sensing a power surge and shut's down to protect itself like a surge protector connected to a computer, then, it senses normal power and self-resets. I was able to restart with no problem (except for the "check engine light" on) and go on my way. If there is any truth to this as a surge problem, perhaps the sensor is set too low? Dealership is closed for weekend and holiday, so won't be able to get it checked until later. In meantime, I'll keep trucking.

It's ridiculous that Ford doesn't have a fix for this yet. Hopefully, the NHSTA investigation will get their attention. I'm grateful this hasn't resulted in a tragedy on the road.
I'm ready to move on from my Hybrid, too many issues that Ford doesn't seem to have a fix for.
Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well it happened again, this time when I asked the truck to go from 45mph to 55mph using over 50% power. I'm beginning to see a pattern. Asking the engine to power up over 50% seems to trigger the shut-down. The alert indicates an Electrical system fault in the High-voltage battery. I'm wondering if the HVB is sensing a power surge and shut's down to protect itself like a surge protector connected to a computer, then, it senses normal power and self-resets. I was able to restart with no problem (except for the "check engine light" on) and go on my way. If there is any truth to this as a surge problem, perhaps the sensor is set too low? Dealership is closed for weekend and holiday, so won't be able to get it checked until later. In meantime, I'll keep trucking.
What was the temperature? How long has the truck been running? I suspect that the HVB has not warmed up enough to accept the wattage necessary to Regen brake fully as well as to furnish the wattage you are asking for when you accelerate over 50% on power gage. Yesterday I took my hybrid out for short drive. Warmed up about 15 minutes in ready state (cycling ice one full time truck was in 48°F garage). It was 22°F outside. I pushed the Low button and ice started, then when I took foot off go pedal apparently the hvb was not warm enough to accept the amperage from the Regen deceleration and the truck engine braked for the deceleration. I am unaware how high the hvb battery temperature has to be in order to accept max Regen current. I turned off low and continued driving using 30-35% power gage in standard mode with no engine braking. I use low frequently and have not experienced the engine braking before driving quite some distance. I very seldom use 50%+ power level.

Rockingchair

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Its NOT our job as owners to try to diagnose the issue and fix it. Its our job to accurately explain what we were doing and what the conditions were. Their job is to repair the issue. If you are having a MAJOR problem or failure then check your states laws regarding "Lemon Law" . This will let even a poor dealer know that if they try to jerk you around you may be able to "jerk back"

PaulM

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In reply to "MakinDoFoNo": I'd been driving around town for about 30 minutes and the temp. here is sunny FL was in mid 70's. while I understand your comment, the first time it happened to me was after a long 3hr drive on interstate...stopped at rest area for short time, and went to get back on interstate. Began to get into 70mph traffic and then the dashboard went all red and engine stopped... luckily was able to pull off road and wait for the system to reset. So I'm not sure temp of the HVB would be issue here... But Who Knows!! Apparently Ford doesn't know and I know that I can't use full power of the engine so pulling into traffic or passing becomes a real issue. I do like this truck and really hope Ford finds the fix before someone gets hurt,,

PaulM

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dear Mr. Farley:

I hear you are making every effort to fix the quality control problems with the Ford line-up. I would guess you're really interested in fixing those issues that could cause the death of a Ford customer while driving a Ford product. Perhaps looking into the Maverick's penchant to turn off the engine while attempting to merge into traffic might be one of those critical issues.

Let me provide you with an example... but first you should know that this is not the first time this has happened to me and to others. And I should note that my dealer "fixed" this problem.

So, here goes: Waiting at an intersection for my chance to merge into traffic. I Placed the transmission into " Sport " mode for that quick acceleration, saw my chance and applied 75% power and as I was accelerating, the engine died... no power and declining speed. Dashboard alarmed to "stop" and "high voltage battery fault, engine may shut-down". Almost got rear-ended because of the lack of speed. I was able to move off the road without incident, except for my wife's expletives.

So, Jim, I made NHTSA aware of the problem, and now, perhaps you are too.

Lucky to be alive and even luckier to be still married. Don't know if I'll be able to keep the Maverick if this issue can't be resolved...

Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Dear Mr. Farley:

I hear you are making every effort to fix the quality control problems with the Ford line-up. I would guess you're really interested in fixing those issues that could cause the death of a Ford customer while driving a Ford product. Perhaps looking into the Maverick's penchant to turn off the engine while attempting to merge into traffic might be one of those critical issues.

Let me provide you with an example... but first you should know that this is not the first time this has happened to me and to others. And I should note that my dealer "fixed" this problem.

So, here goes: Waiting at an intersection for my chance to merge into traffic. I Placed the transmission into " Sport " mode for that quick acceleration, saw my chance and applied 75% power and as I was accelerating, the engine died... no power and declining speed. Dashboard alarmed to "stop" and "high voltage battery fault, engine may shut-down". Almost got rear-ended because of the lack of speed. I was able to move off the road without incident, except for my wife's expletives.

So, Jim, I made NHTSA aware of the problem, and now, perhaps you are too.

Lucky to be alive and even luckier to be still married. Don't know if I'll be able to keep the Maverick if this issue can't be resolved...
How many people have had this issue? I have 13K miles on my Hybrid with zero mechanical issues (except for the death rattle once)

PaulM

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Perhaps there aren't too many with the issue, but in reality, this is the fourth time this has happened in the year of ownership and only during a "hard" acceleration needing a lot of power. This is the only problem I've had with my hybrid. If I keep power to less than 50%, not problems at all, except needing more space to merge into traffic. I like the truck, I just don't like this problem.

PaulM

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And perhaps if you read the second paragraph, you'd see that I had taken it to the dealership and the problem was "fixed"..... And, as a second note, it was at the dealership 2 weeks ago for routine maintenance and they went through all the fault codes.... Just saying...

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nay, I missed that small detail in the grand histrionics of yelling at the heavens for the CEO himself to personally mind to your issue.

85iltoy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is a thread some place on their forum, the search feature is your friend.
My Maverick hybrid has 6,000. Twice it has lost power driving on the interstate. No lights, no warning. Would not accelerate. pulled over, Sat a couple of minutes and the truck restarted. Took it to the dealer and they couldn’t find anything. Going to take it back in for another check.
Sponsored