Sponsored

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, that sucks. Can't say I expected it to work but anything seems to be better than FORD's attempts (or lack thereof).
Sponsored

OP
OP
acelee1895

acelee1895

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 2015 Ford Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
:unsure: 72AH Battery charged at 120A - only slightly more than 1/2 C (35A) is probably what did it in. surprised battery did not go into thermal runaway. Lithium fires are intense, probably make for an interesting warranty/insurance claim
There are also lifepo4 that are rated to change at 2C or even 3C. Here’s a cell that is 74ah but can charge up to 180 amps
https://batteryhookup.com/products/new-case-with-6x-3-2v-74ah-lifepo4-prismatic-cells

Generally you are correct and regular charging of .5c with max charging of 1C is recommended. But battery cell technology has blow up in the last 5 or so years and there are several options that can both charge and discharge faster than 1C. Just gotta read the data sheet

OP
OP
acelee1895

acelee1895

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What the .... ?
LiFePo4 batteries aren't designed for automotive use.
They get damaged if you try to charge them below freezing. Most have a battery management system built in to turn the battery off in high heat conditions and turn charging off below freezing. They charge at different voltages then lead acid and AGM to get them to 100%. They are made for home solar systems, powering golf carts, trolling motors, etc. and as a power source for RVs, not for automotive starting batteries.
You should have replaced with an AGM, not a LiFePo4.
If you plan on using it to run accessories and adding a DC-DC converter to charge it, great.
Cool so you don’t do it. But I will because they do work. Especially for a hybrid. The maverick doesn’t have high current draw even when starting the truck. There are also a few different drop in options for vehicles. Some even have built in heaters to allow for charging below freezing. All I was doing is a proof of concept.

OP
OP
acelee1895

acelee1895

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Were you ever able to collect data on how much power is used overnight?
I did not keep specific table but I generally came out to 50-60 percent remaining. I think I have a higher overnight load than the typical user though because I have a dashcam running 24/7 and leave my key in the truck which I think keeps it “awake” more while it’s sitting because even while locked, everytime I would walk past it, it would do its clicks and prepare for me to get in. If the key wasn’t in it, it didn’t do that

OP
OP
acelee1895

acelee1895

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, that sucks. Can't say I expected it to work but anything seems to be better than FORD's attempts (or lack thereof).
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, this wasn’t to fix some specific issue. More for the fun of it and seeing how much power is provided by the dcdc charger. I think future plan is to fill the whole under seat passenger side storage area with lifepo4 cells and have a 1.5-2kwh battery in there. But that’s a future project as I have other things I am working on now that doesn’t involve the maverick

Sponsored

boe757

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150, camry,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
  • Ford Maverick LiFePo4 battery installed in my Hybrid Maverick 1709394105662

• 【All-IN-ONE CHARGER】Simple operation, all-in-one battery solution for charging battery, battery maintainer, trickle chargerone stream battery, battery desulfurizer.This battery charger can automatically detect battery sulfation and acid stratification and use pulse repair function restore lost battery performance for stronger engine starts and extended battery life. Charges batteries as low as 1-volt. Repair mode restores stratified and deeply discharged batteries. bought this for when I replace my battery, would appreciate comments on if I fell for advertising or this could actually work

OP
OP
acelee1895

acelee1895

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
  • 1709394105662.png

• 【All-IN-ONE CHARGER】Simple operation, all-in-one battery solution for charging battery, battery maintainer, trickle chargerone stream battery, battery desulfurizer.This battery charger can automatically detect battery sulfation and acid stratification and use pulse repair function restore lost battery performance for stronger engine starts and extended battery life. Charges batteries as low as 1-volt. Repair mode restores stratified and deeply discharged batteries. bought this for when I replace my battery, would appreciate comments on if I fell for advertising or this could actually work
This isn’t really a thread about battery charging but most chargers are functionally the same. I say if it has a decent number of reviews and it’s rated 4 star or higher, you’re probably good

boe757

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150, camry,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This isn’t really a thread about battery charging but most chargers are functionally the same. I say if it has a decent number of reviews and it’s rated 4 star or higher, you’re probably good
aware its not about chargers, but there seems to be excellent knowledge about batteries in these posts. I have always dealt with regular lead acid. Now with the deep sleep issue it would seem I will need to replace the current battery. desulfate is a new concept to me, I plan to buy a battery, charge it to capacity and install. This charger says it will do everything but get groceries, time will tell
Sponsored