Sponsored

adkbiker

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
This seems like a good review of air filters, the pros and cons of different brands. K&N scored high in air flow but lowest in filtering particulate matter:

Sponsored

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I installed the K&N drop in filter on my Maverick this past weekend. I noticed right away that hesitation/lag I typically had from a stop up to 25mph was gone and overall acceleration is smoother with less effort on the pedal even up to highway speeds. The throttle response definitely improved at mid-throttle too, pulls like a freight train with ease. This may also be due to hesitation in mid-range performance (3000-4500 rpm) that is now gone also after the K&N install.

Overall, I’m happy with it. Long term longevity, not as much of a concern as I don’t drive that many miles and it’s a street driven truck. Rust or government regulations will probably end my Maverick it long before the engine goes.

If your expecting huge gains and to go out to a track to lay down some rubber now, it won’t. The changes I noticed were more than enough for me as I just wanted better throttle response and less hesitation on acceleration. Gas mileage appears to be about the same but I haven’t done a comparison and it’s winter so idling time is a lot currently.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Boss Me posted a video of an oil analysis showing higher levels of silica with a k&n. It might be a good idea to change your oil more frequently if you have one.

DeanR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback Tundra F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This seems like a good review of air filters, the pros and cons of different brands. K&N scored high in air flow but lowest in filtering particulate matter:

WOW. I have almost always switched to K&N at first oil change as I believed it was better for extreme dirty conditions, I guess I won't do that again.

cannon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For anyone who decides to go with a K&N, remember to clean and oil it regularly. SOOOO many people install it and never maintain the filter, we've seen them in our shop falling apart from getting dried out and clogged up.

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For anyone who decides to go with a K&N, remember to clean and oil it regularly. SOOOO many people install it and never maintain the filter, we've seen them in our shop falling apart from getting dried out and clogged up.
I don't think a lot of people understand what they are and how they differ from a paper filter. If you are willing to put in the work to maintain them they're fine.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't think a lot of people understand what they are and how they differ from a paper filter. If you are willing to put in the work to maintain them they're fine.
Been running the same K/N filter since 2006 and 160k miles- Clean and re-oil once a year, thing still looks new-

Jcaudi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Forgive my ignorance, is the Hybrid's filter size different from the 2.0? Looking to get a K&N filter for my hybrid and saw people are waiting to determine which one fits.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Forgive my ignorance, is the Hybrid's filter size different from the 2.0? Looking to get a K&N filter for my hybrid and saw people are waiting to determine which one fits.
pretty sure it's a different part. Different motor and all. FA 1948? Check the manual

Newarkman

First Name
Carl Maen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Agreed. Free flowing intake improves MPG. Unless you can’t resist getting into the throttle because now you have a race car.
Edit: meant to say improves efficiency. Which unfortunately means you may burn more fuel by volume.
I can tell you from my own experience that there is a significant difference in fuel economy between an oem and K&N filter. I have a 2.0T AWD. I had a significant drop in economy with a K&N filter, at least driving locally; which is the majority of my driving. More air equals more fuel with computerized systems. After decades of fuel injection, people are still using carburated systems as an example. I just reinstalled the oem filter and filled up. The system has yet to recalibrate to the more restrictive air intake, though my mpg , according to the dash indicator, has improved considerably, but the miles left to drive has yet to recalibrate.

Sponsored

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Interesting, hope to hear some more tests with it. You'd think more air would help it burn cleaner but that ratio is probably already computed for optimal burn at the factory.
The throttle plate controls air flow except at WOT. It is the restriction.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Somebody needs to tell mclaren Ferrari and porsche to start using oiled air filters. Look up ISO 5011 test on diesel engine filters. Good luck with your long term engine wear.
Turbos will not tolerate particulate matter in the air, even fluid droplets will erode the compressor wheel.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
The perfect AFR for gas is 14.7 to 1, air to gas. All gas ICE designed to run rich, in the 10-12 to 1 range so as to prevent predetonation, keep temps lower, etc. So if a computer is spitting out fuel to keep the AFR at 11:1, then giving it more air just causes more gas to be spit so the ratio stays at 11. A lot of people use this to argue that the computer prevents more power from being realized.

So I think you should look at it from another perspective with respect to "decreased fuel economy". Increase in air flow, which will happen at all RPM (it will just be much higher at higher RPM), will cause the introduction of more gas which will result in more available power at similar RPMs. At the same throttle input, more power will be made. So if you add a high flow filter, and you use the same throttle input, you are going to use more gas and feel more power at the detriment of lower mpg. However, you can now use less throttle to achieve the same power as before, which would result in less gas at the same effective power/acceleration.
The throttle is more restrictive than the air filter. Who measures fuel economy with the throttle wide open? You might, possibly increase power, maybe. It won't be noticeable and would require a dyno or timed acceleration runs back to back to prove or measure.

fury88

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT V8, 2022 Maverick Lariat owner
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This EcoBoost engine itself has been out for years I’m really surprised it’s take so long to get CAI’s, oil separators, and blow-off valves out to the market for the maverick.
Sponsored