First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Society of Automotive Engineer Detroit hosted this, at least its something positive on the product development journey. For any product designers, agile, software people this may sound familiar. Funny it seems like common sense, but it's really surprising how corporations don't get it.

In conjunction with WCX™ World Congress Experience, SAE members and guests had the opportunity to hear a presentation from key members of the Ford Team surrounding the development of the 2022 Ford Maverick.

Direct link to video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmg-uM8HXng

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wonder what happens to those team members when the results of their efforts created such a winning product. Glad they got the victory lap.

B2000

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B2000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Wonder how different the total pool of buyers demographics are from this small MTC group? Is the core target really still the young urban buyer who has never owned a truck?

These people must get paid by the word. I wish there was a 10 minute video with just the desired content and minus the cringy corporate speak. Makes me glad I no longer have to sit through these speeches.

That said they built a really interesting product that will appeal to a much bigger audience- too bad they did not design the production capabilities into the project.

FischAutoTechGarten

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Green Valley Arizona USA, Alamos Sonora MEX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat EB AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

These people must get paid by the word. I wish there was a 10 minute video with just the desired content and minus the cringy corporate speak. Makes me glad I no longer have to sit through these speeches.
Man you are't kidding. I work as a self employed automation and controls consultant (not quite a consultant becuase I actually do the engineering, design & build, high and low level programming, commissioning, etc..). All big corporations are the same now... It is unsufferable to have to sit through this stuff... just trying to peer beyond the buzzwords and newsspeak to pry a decent functional spec out of somebody so that I can get out of there and start being productive....

'Our Customes are Thrilled with the Product'... why so impersonal? Can't they just say 'People like the Truck' ?

'High Touch User Experience Zones'. I might try to thread that into a sales pitch so that I can extract an extra 10% in fees. What do you think? :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Okay, nit-picking aside, it was fascinating to see some of the structural details!! That part of the presentation was extremely informative.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

This one slide made it worth watching.
Ford really tested the bed. Look at the tailgate load testing too. I know the question of loading a motorcycle and tailgate strength has come up and it is good to see the tailgate is so strong.

Ford Maverick Informative Maverick vehicle development presentation by Ford team -- hosted by SAE [Video] Maverick bed durability

Last edited:

gear1975

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2020 Civic, 2006 Pathfinder
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
bla, bla bla. Build some Mavericks Ford.
All the hype but try to get one.
I find that there's virtually no hype whatsoever on this truck. Almost everyone I've spoken to regarding my truck have never heard of it before.

It's not like Ford wants to have long lead times on orders. They're producing as fast as they are able to considering the constraints that they and other manufacturers are experiencing.

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
47:36 "meeting our stringent scratch and mar requirements".

What did they shoot it with nerf guns for testing ? The XL I picked up in the spring had scratches behind the handle on the door when I picked it up. The dash had small nicks where I mounted a suction cup phone mount. If you pop a panel to run a dash cam, you are leaving a mark or two even if you use a plastic spudger tool.

The drivers side seat belt doesn't have the felt backing that the passengers does, so it will rub on the center console, and the belt whacks the B pillar and will leave it marked up over time.

They need to reexamine their testing methods. Maybe it is worse with the darker interior on the XL, but fingernails 100% scratch behind the door handle and it is really apparent even after just a few weeks of ownership.

@Ford Motor Company I hope you are passing feedback like this along, there seems to be quite a disconnect between the confidence of that statement on stage, and customers real world experience.

Sponsored

B2000

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B2000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

47:36 "meeting our stringent scratch and mar requirements".

What did they shoot it with nerf guns for testing ? The XL I picked up in the spring had scratches behind the handle on the door when I picked it up. The dash had small nicks where I mounted a suction cup phone mount. If you pop a panel to run a dash cam, you are leaving a mark or two even if you use a plastic spudger tool.

The drivers side seat belt doesn't have the felt backing that the passengers does, so it will rub on the center console, and the belt whacks the B pillar and will leave it marked up over time.

They need to reexamine their testing methods. Maybe it is worse with the darker interior on the XL, but fingernails 100% scratch behind the door handle and it is really apparent even after just a few weeks of ownership.

@Ford Motor Company I hope you are passing feedback like this along, there seems to be quite a disconnect between the confidence of that statement on stage, and customers real world experience.
The people in that video don't drive Mavericks in real life. Probably don't even drive Fords.

FischAutoTechGarten

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Green Valley Arizona USA, Alamos Sonora MEX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat EB AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

they do talk a bit ad nauseum about the interior's High Touch User Experience Zones ane the Parial door handles that allow for tall water bottles. And then marketing / customer service contracts with a supplier (Yeti) to produce a branded (Maverick) water bottle in several colors that doesn't fit this designated spot...

ummmm... I know they made their design processes more streamlined with the Maverick, but perhaps some checks and balances were in order on that... seems like a very avoidable disconnect... a missed opportunity to validate a controversial design choice...
Sponsored