Sponsored

I'm thinking of switching hot pepper red to shadow black.

AUDIOZONE

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, ranger, mustang, maverick on order
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tell me the good and bad about black paint jobs on cars, or trucks.

I never have had a black car or truck. I have had a couple different blues, reds, and whites, 1 charcoal Grey, 1 safety yellow, silvers, greens, and primer.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AUDIOZONE

AUDIOZONE

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also,,, It is a stock tremor xlt

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Black is beautiful when it’s clean and shiny ;) but is higher maintenance too. The silver’s/gray’s and white are not as notable when they are slightly dirty = easier to keep maintained. I love my shadowblack and get compliments all the time as they notice my truck is usually always clean (Michigan is definitely not black friendly). HPR is a great color choice that also looks much better when clean.

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've owned black and red vehicles, the red is definitely much less maintenance. It doesn't show dirt nearly as bad as black, which shows absolutely everything. Red can be filthy and still look good, not true of black. Go black if prepared to be washing it ever week of your life.

22MavXLT

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT, 23 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hands down, black is beautiful...when it's clean. But let it get even a lil dirty, and it looks horrible and like it's been neglected for years. I have owned many black vehicles in the past, and I used to detail for a living, so it was no big deal for me. But, I don't have the time or want to, to detail every week now, so I stay away from black. I am a silver/white/muted gray kind of guy. I only have the HPR now because it fell into my lap waiting on my Cactus Gray order to get here.

Sponsored

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I may be dating my age here, but here goes. Back in 1988 I bought a new Dodge Daytona Shelby Z with T tops in black with tan leather interior. Absolutely beautiful car, beautiful color combination. In my mind I felt like I was driving a European beauty every time I drove it. However keeping the outside looking nice was an absolute nightmare. I washed and waxed it every week to try to keep it looking it's best. I did not have a garage to keep it in.

Any car looks good in black, even a "toaster" like a Kia Rio. The reality is that along with that sexy black paint, you become a slave to a paint job. Never again for me. I still love black paint jobs they are beautiful, but they will show every scratch, bird shit stain, and imperfection. I originally ordered carbonized grey, then switched to iconic silver.

My current ride Chevy HHR "toaster" is silver, and I live in dusty assed west Texas where if the wind blows hard enough in the right direction the sky turns reddish orange, and you can "taste" Lubbock. And everything gets covered in red dust. My current daily is silver, and loaded with hail dents. But it doesnt look so bad because the silver kind of hides it somewhat. My wife had a black Dodge Grand caravan. Dittos, after a few years even keeping it clean it looked awful. Her current car is white. Always looks clean. I woulda went with white but the company trucks at my job are white, and I just couldent do it.

Burch20

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I never have had a black car or truck. I have had a couple different blues, reds, and whites, 1 charcoal Grey, 1 safety yellow, silvers, greens, and primer.
Just picked up my Shadow Black Mav. Washed it, shined her up with Maguires liquid ceramic wax and she's sat in the driveway for a week. Truck is COVERED in dust and smudges. Never owned a black vehicle before and never will again.

OP
OP
AUDIOZONE

AUDIOZONE

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks to all for the warning. I'm sticking with red.

Flight Test

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvettes
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

As mentioned before, black is a great color when clean, however it shows every little fleck of dust, scratch and paint swirl. Be ready to be a slave to upkeep.

Sponsored

volksnuts

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Well Hot Pepper is the best color, so good job on sticking with it
The biggest issue with Shadow Black is it’s non metallic
So even when it’s clean it won’t sparkle
I painted my front grill tuxedo black and it sparkles so good in the sun

My Skyline is metallic black and it looks amazing in the sun
But trying to keep it clean is the worst

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks to all for the warning. I'm sticking with red.
I started with a XL EB in Shadow Black, which is beautiful but requires too much maintenance. I have a couple small rock chips on the hood and they really stand out. My 2023 Hybrid XLT order is in HPR. I think that is the only color that will not clash with the XLT orange interior accents.
Ford Maverick I'm thinking of switching hot pepper red to shadow black. KIMG3042.JPG

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Never really truely hated water spots until I owned a black car.
On the other hand I never really knew just how dirty my white car and trucks were until washed.
The blue flame on my truck isn't bad and hope the hpr is similar.

Suzukiridr14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1956 THunderbird , 2016 Acura MDX (Wifes car)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The things I don't like about Black cars, and trucks are they are hard to keep clean, not very visible at night so other drivers can't see you, and, get real hot in the sunshine, (I live in Florida).

OP
OP
AUDIOZONE

AUDIOZONE

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was debating with myself about whether to go red and flashy, with less noticable tremor logos. Which I like. Like my mustang cobra.

Black would be more generic, but the tremor logos really stand out, and why not? The answer is dirt.

I had a slight thought of putting my store logo on a black one. My store logo has always been white letters on a black background. I could even do orange lettering. I might still think about it. It would be great advertising when I drive across des moines 5 days a week to go to my other job.

Ford Maverick I'm thinking of switching hot pepper red to shadow black. 20220518_104241
Sponsored