First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ecoboost would be much worse due to turbo heat, doesn't make sense.
Does the Ecoboost have the same shutters and under-engine shield design?
now there is a lot of finger pointing going on and the smart lawyers have grabbed a hold of this unfortunate opportunity
I'm not sure they are "the smart lawyers." Maybe they are, but it looks to me like they misread the recall documents. See here.
Wait... You mean you searched and found the same thread that we are all posting in?

That's impressive... :devilish:

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Modern Ford Hybrids Still Unsafe After Recall, According To New Lawsuit

By Brett Foote

August 18, 2022 7:16 am

-Lariat-Exterior-001-Front-Three-Quarters-1024x627.jpg

Sponsored

Last month, Ford Motor Company recalled select 2020-2022 Ford Escape, Lincoln Corsair, and 2022 Ford Maverick hybrid and plug-in hybrid models after 23 of those vehicles caught fire across the globe. The automaker later discovered that the problem was caused by leaking fluids stemming from hot engine bays, after which it instructed dealers to add drain holes to the under-hood shield and change the active grille shutters to allow more air flow and reduce under-hood temperatures. However, some have found this fix to be inadequate, and as such, have filed a class-action lawsuit claiming that these Ford hybrids are still unsafe after it’s completed, according to Business Wire.

2020-Ford-Escape-Plug-In-Hybrid-Exterior-002.jpg

The lawsuit – filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan by Hagens Berman – alleges that Ford’s fix for this particular issue does not address the root cause of the problem, and can even represent an environmental hazard as it allows fluids to leak out of the vehicle, potentially setting up owners for injury and property damage.

“Ford’s fix is essentially rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic,” said Steve Berman, Hagens Berman co-founder and managing partner. “While drivers, their families and others on the road attend to the real crisis of a potential vehicle fire due to this manufacturing defect, Ford’s solution does nothing to address the issue at hand and will mean an unknowable amount of engine fluids will be spilled onto roads, leaching into groundwater and soil.”

Lincoln-Corsair-Grand-Touring-009.jpg

The lawsuit also claims that in addition to spilling engine fluids onto roads, groundwater, and soil, these Ford hybrids may still be susceptible to fire as well, due to the fact that oil is flammable. Meanwhile, Ford has told customers that most of the affected vehicles named in this case are still covered under the automaker’s new vehicle and powertrain warranties.

We’ll have more on this and all of Ford’s active lawsuits soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for the latest Ford lawsuit news and 24/7 Ford news coverage.
This lawsuit reads like Saul Goodman lol

Randaddio

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Those of us on the thread regarding lurching and grabbing brake issues in the hybrid probably think their issue is more worthy of a lawsuit if nothing else but to get Fords damn attention on this problem that they refuse to even acknowledge. We’re talking faulty brakes there, probably fixed by a software fix as understand it from people more knowledgeable about the issues. They make some bullshit offer to “look into it”, then send you to dealer service who knows absolutely zero about it.
Grrrr,
Randaddio

KevCuRaoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Those of us on the thread regarding lurching and grabbing brake issues in the hybrid probably think their issue is more worthy of a lawsuit if nothing else but to get Fords damn attention on this problem that they refuse to even acknowledge. We’re talking faulty brakes there, probably fixed by a software fix as understand it from people more knowledgeable about the issues. They make some bullshit offer to “look into it”, then send you to dealer service who knows absolutely zero about it.
Grrrr,
Randaddio

And no dealer can fix a software issue until a software update is released by Ford! Dealerships are pretty much powerless to help in cases like this.
Taking it to your dealership and having them submit "technical assistance requests" to Ford may help though......that might put the issue in front of the right eyes.

Sponsored

Randaddio

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And no dealer can fix a software issue until a software update is released by Ford! Dealerships are pretty much powerless to help in cases like this.
Taking it to your dealership and having them submit "technical assistance requests" to Ford may help though......that might put the issue in front of the right eyes.
Not blaming the dealerships but there’s been plenty of us sent to service departments with no result. There’s even a Ford monitor on the thread that directs you to your clueless dealer, but not a peep out of ford that such a problem exists. Take a look over on that string, see how many people report identical issue on their trucks
Gurrr,
Randall

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Will all this cause delays in the 2023 builds I wonder. The More i hear the less likely think I will ever be able to get a Maverick,.

KevCuRaoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not blaming the dealerships but there’s been plenty of us sent to service departments with no result. There’s even a Ford monitor on the thread that directs you to your clueless dealer, but not a peep out of ford that such a problem exists. Take a look over on that string, see how many people report identical issue on their trucks
Gurrr,
Randall

Yeah, I am familiar with the issue. I have not really experienced it myself. I have in a mild fashion (but just the normal way that hybrid brakes typically work). I know that many have experienced issues that are beyond the normal "strange" regenerative to friction brake transition. I don't really drive in "stop and go" traffic, so I am unlikely to have much of an issue.

I did just look in the "Global Technical Assistance Center" (ie. Tech Hotline). There is not a thing recorded there about this brake issue. But that doesn't mean that nothing has been reported to Ford.....just that nothing was reported to Ford and a solution found (and both sides agreed to have the communications published on the Tech Hotline).

So right now, if you take it to your dealer with that concern.....they probably won't find much information on it. The first step is for them to duplicate your concern. If they can't duplicate it, my suggestion would be for you to have the service advisor/technician/service manager ride with you, and you make it happen. That way they have a better idea of what is going on. And can hopefully report it to Ford and start the search for a solution!

ldanielsjr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer XLT / 2018 Ford Expedition Ltd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The article's fixation on oil escaping onto the ground is weird. Only a faulty engine will leak oil--and the aerodynamic shield isn't there to catch it. It's not like the shield has a reservoir or absorbent pads, which is what would be required to catch and retain oil. I have assumed that adding holes will simply let oil escape from a catastrophic failure from a crankshaft fracture a little more quickly, thereby reducing the likelihood of a massive fire.

If we assume that Ford is removing shutters and drilling holes to reduce the possible effects of sudden oil leak leading to a fire, then I would like them to address the cause of the catastrophic failure--not just rip out shutters and drill holes to mitigate the consequences. After all, the shutters serve a purpose, so I'd prefer to leave them in place.

But the article's terrible writing doesn't shed light on what's going on...
I assume the fixation on oil escaping to the ground is intended to make the class action suit more damning by trying to make the issue an environmental issue. Perhaps they think it will be taken more seriously, or garner more damages, if it is indeed environmental. Oh well ... I am not convinced, and still plan to order a '23 hybrid.

Randaddio

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That’s good advice, but it’s not a quirk you can perform on demand, so when I brought it in and took a little ride as you suggested, naturally I couldn’t make it happen. And when they put it through diagnostics everything checks out fine. And this is was at the dealer where the Ford “social media representative” made me the appointment!
An interesting detail; I described the issue over the phone to the rep and she says “yeah, we’ve heard of that”, but no, not the funny scraping sound coming out of my right rear quarter as I pull away from the first engine start of the day. So somebody there knows about it, if only that rep.
But thanks for the input, I’ve managed driving with this issue pretty well, but I’m always prepared for it happening. It just seems to me you don’t sell new cars with funny brakes, you know?

Sponsored

TOsbrink

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm with you Randall. Sorry to hijack the recall thread, but I'm having the same issue during the first break in the morning coming out of the garage. Some days a gentle deceleration into the driveway is suddenly halted to a rapid stop. Service department couldn't replicate.

I will say that the brakes are better overall since the TSB 22-2124 firmware update mentioned in another post.

Thanks to all for your input on the recall!

ButWhatDoIKnow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
So beyond the small batch of defective crankshafts, does this law firm know of a single defect we don't? You know, the ones that were all recalled to be replaced? A couple hundred?
Good idea! Maybe I WILL let my brother borrow it for the weekend.
Sponsored