First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered in 21 and recieved my 23 hybrid in February. Just figured I'd share a bit of my experiences.

My Maverick is a 23 hybrid, lariat luxury package without the added copilot package. It's Area 51 with the black appearance package. Aftermarket I added Smartliner floor mats, some tailgate letters I got off Amazon, and a BAK Revolver X4S hard rollup tonneau cover I got from Realtruck on their black friday deal last year.

First and foremost, I have not had any of the reported issues with mine. No deep sleep, no issues with the radio locking up (though I think that was on the base infotainment system, mine is Sync 3), basically no issues at all.

The truck drives well, feels substantial without feeling like it's too big. I drive a tall roof Transit 250 with ladder racks for work, the Mav is much more comfortable to drive.

My milage is in the mid 30's, usually around 35. That's with mostly highway driving. My work location changed between ordering and getting the Mav. Had my daily commute been highway when I ordered I may have gone ecoboost instead, but no regrets.

I've used the Mav quite a bit for truck stuff as we are doing an addition to the house. It hauls plywood flat as advertised and with proper strapping I've hauled lumber as long as 12 foot home from the hardware store with no issues beyond a few funny looks.

Load wise the most I've carried at once is twelve five gallon buckets full of broken tile, grout, and thinset to the dump at once. Speaking of, you can fit that dozen buckets in the bed with the tailgate and tonneau cover both closed.

The tech that goes into things is mostly seamless and easy to use. The only thing that actually irritated me was the automatic high beams. I was behind a motorcycle on a dark road and the system kept cycling high and low, basically flashing my high beams at the rider (my daughter on her Road King).

There is likely a sensitivity setting I could adjust, but I was in a bit of a hurry and simply pulled over and turned that feature off, then never got back to it. Finding it in the menu to disable was easy however.

I thought I would miss having wireless android auto, but I've found that wired works for me. I can still stream music or audio books with no issues and use the phone hands free and wireless. Since I pretty much know where I'm going 99% of the time I don't really need the wireless Google maps. I just tossed a short cable in the glove box for those occasions I'll need it.

As far as the interior goes, the standard dark blue goes really well with the black accents from the black appearance package. I haven't had any issues with the plastic components scratching or cracking like some I've read about. The fit and finish is really good.

About seven months and about five thousand miles in now and overall I have no complaints at all. I knew what I was buying and its lived up to and usually exceeded my expectations.

To all of you out there still watching and waiting, hang in there. It's worth it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll add that not only does it drive really well, and that's coming from a Subaru Outback, its much quicker than you'd expect from the typical Hybrid. - The Maverick isn't your stereotypical Prius of old, where they seem to not be able to get out of their own way, let alone your way. It takes very little pedal to keep up with traffic, with plenty to grunt to spare.

Mine is mostly a commuter with weekend tasks for the home, and it's perfect at fulfilling both rolls, even carrying 600-700 of mulch in the spring, doors, and tile. Never been a pickup person, but glad I went with this very affordable and capable vehicle. (I'm averaging well OVER 50 mpg, and couldn't be happier after 5 months).

Mike215

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice writeup. My experience has been very similar. I have an XLT, no issues except an occasional radio reboot but that is not a big deal. Truck has almost 7000 miles so far.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll add that not only does it drive really well, and that's coming from a Subaru Outback, its much quicker than you'd expect from the typical Hybrid. - The Maverick isn't your stereotypical Prius of old, where they seem to not be able to get out of their own way, let alone your way. It takes very little pedal to keep up with traffic, with plenty to grunt to spare.

Mine is mostly a commuter with weekend tasks for the home, and it's perfect at fulfilling both rolls, even carrying 600-700 of mulch in the spring, doors, and tile. Never been a pickup person, but glad I went with this very affordable and capable vehicle. (I'm averaging well OVER 50 mpg, and couldn't be happier after 5 months).
Prius had a mere ~121 HP through 2022.

Maverick Hybrid is officially 191 HP, 2023 Prius is finally a touch more than that now that they’ve boosted the power train. Prius Prime (plug-in Hybrid) is rated a bit higher still.

Makes it pretty clear why Maverick is not the snail 🐌 Prius used to be.

Sponsored

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you spin the headlight dial to "on" it turns OFF the auto highbeam.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can also cycle between high beams on, off, and auto for the current drive.

OVERRIDING AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM CONTROL

Ford Maverick Hybrid thoughts 5k miles in {filename}

Push the lever away from you to switch the high beams on.
Push the lever away from you again to switch the high beams off.
Push the lever away from you for a third time to switch automatic high beam control back on.
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...ingEnabled=False&userMarket=USA&buildtype=web

When auto high beam is on, you'll see this icon by your headlight indicator, and the high beam indicator when they're actually on:

AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM CONTROL INDICATORS

Illuminates to confirm when the system is ready to assist.
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...ingEnabled=False&userMarket=USA&buildtype=web

To turn it on/off persistently:

SWITCHING AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM CONTROL ON AND OFF

1. Using the instrument cluster controls on the steering wheel, select Settings.
  1. Select Vehicle.
  1. Select Lighting.
  1. Switch Auto High Beam on or off.

And for reference, be aware of some system limitations and precautions:

AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM CONTROL LIMITATIONS

The system turns the high beams off if any of the following occur:
  • You switch the system off.
  • You set the lighting control to any position except autolamps.
  • The ambient light level is high enough that you do not require high beams.
  • The system detects an approaching vehicle's headlamps or a leading vehicle's tail lamps.
  • The system detects severe rain, snow or fog.
  • The system detects street lighting.
  • The camera has reduced visibility.
  • The vehicle speed falls below approximately 27 mph (44 km/h).
Note: The deactivation speed may be lower on curves.

AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM CONTROL PRECAUTIONS

WARNING: The system does not relieve you of your responsibility to drive with due care and attention. You may need to override the system if it does not turn the high beams on or off.
WARNING: The system may not switch the high beams off if the lights of oncoming vehicles are hidden by obstacles, for example guard rails.
WARNING: You may need to override the system when approaching other road users.
WARNING: In situations with poor visibility, such as fog, heavy rain or other inclement weather, you may need to override or completely switch off the system.

OP
OP
Dechion

Dechion

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was able to turn the automated feature off no problem, and honestly haven't had any reason to turn it back on. I rarely use my brights anyhow, so I just do it the old fashioned way.

Thanks for the write up though. Good info to have.

OP
OP
Dechion

Dechion

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
True. I want them to come on automatically when it gets dark, just not engage the brights unless I do it manually. I rarely use them anyhow.

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You can also cycle between high beams on, off, and auto for the current drive.

When auto high beam is on, you'll see this icon by your headlight indicator, and the high beam indicator when they're actually on:

To turn it on/off persistently:

And for reference, be aware of some system limitations and precautions:

I in general do NOT think the auto high beams work well. They flash to high at inappropriate times in mine. Plus, they are not much advantage over regular. I turned mine off. More or less from week one.

Interesting about the stalk. I have not experimented with it in Auto.

STUPID FORD CHOICE to disable changing this feature while vehicle is in motion though. Dumb.

Wife's Toyota has a simple physical button. If Ford had a button, I'd be inclined to use it more. Just the times I want it (few) I'm already in motion at the time I want it. Dumb.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I in general do NOT think the auto high beams work well. They flash to high at inappropriate times in mine. Plus, they are not much advantage over regular. I turned mine off. More or less from week one.

Interesting about the stalk. I have not experimented with it in Auto.

STUPID FORD CHOICE to disable changing this feature while vehicle is in motion though. Dumb.

Wife's Toyota has a simple physical button. If Ford had a button, I'd be inclined to use it more. Just the times I want it (few) I'm already in motion at the time I want it. Dumb.
It's even "better" with halogen headlamps and fog lamps. There's a delay between the time it turns off high beams and turns back on your fog lamps. Presumably, that's to ensure the halogen high beams fade out because you can't have both active at the same time. It's this two phase process that takes several seconds and is an unnecessary distraction.

At least on a Maverick or other vehicle with LED headlamps, the switch is instantaneous. LED lamps turn on and off in an instant, there's no noticeable fade time. Unfortunately, that also means that there are times it likes to rapidly strobe your incredibly bright LED high beams for no apparent reason, like at a motorcycle you're following as @Dechion notes above. Even in a Bronco Sport with LED headlamps and fog lamps, for instance, it will instantaneously switch between high beams, and low beams + fog lamps, so there's that.

Auto high beams has a long way to go. It does not adequately see around corners, so you're blinding an oncoming driver until you're pointed directly at them, unless you override it. It sees the slightest bit of light like one single street lamp and wants to dim.

Auto headlights is excellent. Sometimes it won't turn on as soon as I'd like, or visibility is limited but it's not actually dark, so I'll turn them on manually, no worries. But auto high beams? That's off in my vehicle. It turned into a constant battle of overriding it. Don't need that, don't want that.

Skeeter163

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered in 21 and recieved my 23 hybrid in February. Just figured I'd share a bit of my experiences.

My Maverick is a 23 hybrid, lariat luxury package without the added copilot package. It's Area 51 with the black appearance package. Aftermarket I added Smartliner floor mats, some tailgate letters I got off Amazon, and a BAK Revolver X4S hard rollup tonneau cover I got from Realtruck on their black friday deal last year.

First and foremost, I have not had any of the reported issues with mine. No deep sleep, no issues with the radio locking up (though I think that was on the base infotainment system, mine is Sync 3), basically no issues at all.

The truck drives well, feels substantial without feeling like it's too big. I drive a tall roof Transit 250 with ladder racks for work, the Mav is much more comfortable to drive.

My milage is in the mid 30's, usually around 35. That's with mostly highway driving. My work location changed between ordering and getting the Mav. Had my daily commute been highway when I ordered I may have gone ecoboost instead, but no regrets.

I've used the Mav quite a bit for truck stuff as we are doing an addition to the house. It hauls plywood flat as advertised and with proper strapping I've hauled lumber as long as 12 foot home from the hardware store with no issues beyond a few funny looks.

Load wise the most I've carried at once is twelve five gallon buckets full of broken tile, grout, and thinset to the dump at once. Speaking of, you can fit that dozen buckets in the bed with the tailgate and tonneau cover both closed.

The tech that goes into things is mostly seamless and easy to use. The only thing that actually irritated me was the automatic high beams. I was behind a motorcycle on a dark road and the system kept cycling high and low, basically flashing my high beams at the rider (my daughter on her Road King).

There is likely a sensitivity setting I could adjust, but I was in a bit of a hurry and simply pulled over and turned that feature off, then never got back to it. Finding it in the menu to disable was easy however.

I thought I would miss having wireless android auto, but I've found that wired works for me. I can still stream music or audio books with no issues and use the phone hands free and wireless. Since I pretty much know where I'm going 99% of the time I don't really need the wireless Google maps. I just tossed a short cable in the glove box for those occasions I'll need it.

As far as the interior goes, the standard dark blue goes really well with the black accents from the black appearance package. I haven't had any issues with the plastic components scratching or cracking like some I've read about. The fit and finish is really good.

About seven months and about five thousand miles in now and overall I have no complaints at all. I knew what I was buying and its lived up to and usually exceeded my expectations.

To all of you out there still watching and waiting, hang in there. It's worth it.
I also ordered a22 and got a23 15 mo. later. I now have 4600 mi. On it with no problems so far. I was looking for the funnel to add gas from a can and cannot find it. Where was yours? The book says it’s behind the back seat but mine is not. I did one recall to update the software.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I also ordered a22 and got a23 15 mo. later. I now have 4600 mi. On it with no problems so far. I was looking for the funnel to add gas from a can and cannot find it. Where was yours? The book says it’s behind the back seat but mine is not. I did one recall to update the software.

My white funnel was in the glove box. But I suspect you have looked there by now.

Check the tool kit for changing the tire. 1% chance it was there and I moved it to glove box and forgot.

SR-71

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe my fuel funnel was located UNDER the back seat when I took delivery.
Sponsored