Sponsored

Hybrid owners: for those that have off-roaded how did it go?

BoskoPColtrane

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bosko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am still going to take it where trucks can go. Plenty of 2wd truck going off roading, naturally, they are less capable in mud, sand, and deeper holes so I will avoid those trails/fire roads
Yes. A lot of two wheel trucks but from what I’ve been told the hybrid suspension is a lot lighter than the suspension for the regular engine. Could be wrong.
Sponsored

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Hybrid successfully hopped the curb up onto my yard. No issues.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

BoskoPColtrane

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bosko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP
Hardening2753

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yes. A lot of two wheel trucks but from what I’ve been told the hybrid suspension is a lot lighter than the suspension for the regular engine. Could be wrong.
I think the front is the same as EB but the rear is different

Sponsored

Distracto

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have installed falken wildpeak trail tires as a compromise between all season tires and really heavy duty all terrain tires.

I recommend this even if you just regularly traverse gravel roads as it makes the truck much more capable and comfortable on that kind of terrain.

I’ve gone to forest service roads and have had no issues getting stuck. I’ve gone up really steep dirt/rock driveways and even with wheel slip never lose momentum.

For difficult stuff I recommend you leave the truck in normal and disable traction control.

If you are going a little faster rally type stuff (please try not to do this), I recommend traction control on and use slippery mode.

If you are crawling slowly up or downhill use L mode. It’s not a real low range mode but I like that it keeps me from gaining too much momentum.

Do NOT go over obstacles that could strike the bottom of the truck. The ground clearance is not great and damage could result.

The angles/break over of the truck are poor too. You will scrape the front or rear if you try to climb too steep suddenly.

If your definition of off-roading is basically bad roads, dirt paths, or fields then you will do just fine.

If it is rock crawling, mud, or anything requiring articulation you will probably not be fine. You’ll always need front traction to make it anywhere.
I know trail conditions change from day to day, but keeping it general, have you had any experience in sugar sand or on the beach in the hybrid? How'd it go?

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sugar sand aired up don’t stop, keep plowing found out the hard way