First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav Hybrid XLT LUX Pack
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
that makes perfect sense. getting stuck in one's own driveway, or even just being anxious about the possibility of it, are definitely good reasons to get more aggressive tires.
Appreciate it! I know I’m in a weird situation, but it does Suprisingly well. I’m not one of those people saying it’s capable of off road use, but If it means I can get to where I need to go and not have to buy a new 4wd truck, I’m happy with it.
Sponsored

imboden013

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Truthfully, the mpg is so good, I don’t really care much of the loss. I’m still averaging far better than the ecoboost variant and that during the fill up where I measured, I was also hauling about 600 pounds of stuff in the bed for 60ish miles.

You raise a very fair point tho. I haven’t recalibrated anything yet. I just use apps to track the fuel economy
[/QUOTE
that makes perfect sense. getting stuck in one's own driveway, or even just being anxious about the possibility of it, are definitely good reasons to get more aggressive tires.
how about this for a driveway?

Ford Maverick Hybrid Maverick with 235 AT tires + 1" Lift Kit for mild off roading ... My Thoughts IMG_2448

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To me the Maverick is a strange beast. Nicer to drive than a big truck (wheel base, FWD), but with ground clearance you loose stability vs a car in corners. I've found the Maverick to be somewhere in between a RAV4 and a CRV in terms of handling, so I guess in that regard it's got some sportiness to it. :D
Try "Sport Mode".

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Try "Sport Mode".
Used it numerous times, other than annoying fake shifting and running the ICE more there is nothing special about it. It doesn't make it sporty in the driving sense (cornering), it's still a boaty SUV.

Sponsored

WNYEscapee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick, 2019 Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Really nothing different than normal. It’s moreso the driving dynamics. The steering is much heavier and you feel the weight accelerating and braking.
That's one big reason I shied away from the more popular choice of AT tires. I knew the weight would have a more adverse effect, and I didn't want that, as increasing fuel mileage was one reason why I downsized to a Maverick.
I went with the Firestone Destination AT2(235/65R17), they're about 2 pounds heavier than the stock Continentals, ride a touch softer, almost just as quiet, didn't give up anything in handling that I didn't feel was an equal trade-off. They ride a little softer over minor imperfections, but provide better feedback, feel more of a willing partner on turns, and are a world of improvement in snow. Since having installed these just prior to winter my fuel mileage has dipped less than 1 mpg. Some of that also has to do with longer warm-up times, winter blended fuel, and fewer highway miles driven too.

Let me also add this. I also think if you do more off-roading with your vehicle a heavier constructed tire would probably be more fitting -- better/stiffer sidewall construction, and I believe the increased unsprung weight may become more of a benefit in some of those conditions.

OP
OP
Qkopp

Qkopp

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's one big reason I shied away from the more popular choice of AT tires. I knew the weight would have a more adverse effect, and I didn't want that, as increasing fuel mileage was one reason why I downsized to a Maverick.
I went with the Firestone Destination AT2(235/65R17), they're about 2 pounds heavier than the stock Continentals, ride a touch softer, almost just as quiet, didn't give up anything in handling that I didn't feel was an equal trade-off. They ride a little softer over minor imperfections, but provide better feedback, feel more of a willing partner on turns, and are a world of improvement in snow. Since having installed these just prior to winter my fuel mileage has dipped less than 1 mpg. Some of that also has to do with longer warm-up times, winter blended fuel, and fewer highway miles driven too.

Let me also add this. I also think if you do more off-roading with your vehicle a heavier constructed tire would probably be more fitting -- better/stiffer sidewall construction, and I believe the increased unsprung weight may become more of a benefit in some of those conditions.
Heard great things about those tires too. I personally like a heavier feeling ride. Seeing about a 2mpg difference, but you raise some fair points. The stock tires were so bad in the rain, let alone the snow. When I slipped exiting an entrance ramp on the highway at the speed limit in light rain and temps in the 60s with stock tires, I knew I needed something ASAP

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Used it numerous times, other than annoying fake shifting and running the ICE more there is nothing special about it. It doesn't make it sporty in the driving sense (cornering), it's still a boaty SUV.
My post was more of a kidding than a recommendation that Sport mode would increase handling to the sports car level. See, here's the thing . . . the Maverick's a truck and I would expect it to be more of a truck than an SUV. I think we can agree the Maverick handles better than most trucks in any size category. If you're looking for a 'sporty' pickup, I'd suggest the Santa Cruz.

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice! I too have enjoyed the Zone Offroad kit on mine and the extra ground clearance it + the larger tires offer up.

With the 245 tires I used I multiply the un-modified odometer reading by 1.035 to get the accurate mileage for figuring out mpg. You can check online for the diameter of any tire to compare stock vs whatever you buy to get your own number to factor in. In my case it's a very small variance. With that figured in I see about 2-3 mpg less with the larger 245 tires in mostly city stop and go driving. I suspect the extra rolling weight of the tire/wheel assembly is the main culprit.

As Ford does offer the maverick stock with 235 tires, that is not such a large leap to make when it comes to the question of "do I worry about recalibrating or not" and as seen here and in other people's experiences does have a less impactful mpg hit.

Sponsored

sprcoop

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid, 66 Mustang Coupe, 2012 Focus DCT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I swapped the XL steelies and stock Conti's for Bronco Sport wheels with stock Falken WP A/T ATW3 tires.

I weighed the combos and steelie/Conti 49lbs Bronco/235/65/R17 WP 54lbs so I added 5lbs a corner.

I can't feel the difference and so far can't really see a difference in gas mileage (1/2 a tank in). To be fair I'm not really a "tire snob" so I'm pretty insensitive to tires other than road noise.

With the Conti's 70MPH on a rainy freeway felt floaty. Had to knock it back to 65 to feel connected. Have not tested Falkens in the rain yet.

OP
OP
Qkopp

Qkopp

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My post was more of a kidding than a recommendation that Sport mode would increase handling to the sports car level. See, here's the thing . . . the Maverick's a truck and I would expect it to be more of a truck than an SUV. I think we can agree the Maverick handles better than most trucks in any size category. If you're looking for a 'sporty' pickup, I'd suggest the Santa Cruz.
It works well as a truck. I’ve towed and hauled well over 1000 pounds in the bed. I’m impressed and I also use a f150 5.0 for other chores. The Maverick is capable for 80% of the work I need it to do.

I drove an eco and it had good pep. Still don’t understand anyone saying the Mav is sporty tho lol.
I swapped the XL steelies and stock Conti's for Bronco Sport wheels with stock Falken WP A/T ATW3 tires.

I weighed the combos and steelie/Conti 49lbs Bronco/235/65/R17 WP 54lbs so I added 5lbs a corner.

I can't feel the difference and so far can't really see a difference in gas mileage (1/2 a tank in). To be fair I'm not really a "tire snob" so I'm pretty insensitive to tires other than road noise.

With the Conti's 70MPH on a rainy freeway felt floaty. Had to knock it back to 65 to feel connected. Have not tested Falkens in the rain yet.
That’s great! I was very close to getting the ATW3. Keep me posted on how you like them

OP
OP
Qkopp

Qkopp

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice! I too have enjoyed the Zone Offroad kit on mine and the extra ground clearance it + the larger tires offer up.

With the 245 tires I used I multiply the un-modified odometer reading by 1.035 to get the accurate mileage for figuring out mpg. You can check online for the diameter of any tire to compare stock vs whatever you buy to get your own number to factor in. In my case it's a very small variance. With that figured in I see about 2-3 mpg less with the larger 245 tires in mostly city stop and go driving. I suspect the extra rolling weight of the tire/wheel assembly is the main culprit.

As Ford does offer the maverick stock with 235 tires, that is not such a large leap to make when it comes to the question of "do I worry about recalibrating or not" and as seen here and in other people's experiences does have a less impactful mpg hit.

Your YouTube is how I decided on the kit and tires! Love the videos.

thev8man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid XL, 2023 XLT Tremor
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

Zone off road 1 inch leveling kit and Falken wild peak trail 235/65/17 tires are on. Much more of a solid feel but took away any “sportiness” the stock setup provided. Over the last 800 miles, I’ve noticed a 1-2 mpg drop.

I purchased the hybrid maverick shortly before discovering we had to move to a more rural area. I do several miles of muddy roads a day. I almost traded it for a fx4/awd, but I’m really glad I didn’t. For 99% of Maverick users, the hybrid with an at tire/lift kit is all you need for mild off roading. Was able to get up some sandy and muddy dunes near Lake Michigan and have much more confidence on muddy dirt roads now.

After a ceramic coating, ceramic window tint all around, mudflaps, Lasfit switchback turn signals and full Lasfit led kit, + the tire and wheel set up is perfect for what I need.

IMG_9937.jpeg

IMG_9941.jpeg
Booyah 👊🏽 😁 👍🏽 🇺🇸
HRG has a hybrid front and rear lift. I'm looking into. I push on road and off road. Thanks .

thev8man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid XL, 2023 XLT Tremor
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

It works well as a truck. I’ve towed and hauled well over 1000 pounds in the bed. I’m impressed and I also use a f150 5.0 for other chores. The Maverick is capable for 80% of the work I need it to do.

I drove an eco and it had good pep. Still don’t understand anyone saying the Mav is sporty tho lol.

That’s great! I was very close to getting the ATW3. Keep me posted on how you like them
Booyah 👊🏽 😁 👍🏽 🇺🇸
Sponsored