First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My OCD made me say it. You forgot the "d" in built Ford tough. LoL Glad to hear the hybrid can pull a little more than what it's rated for.
I must have OCD, as I went back to look at the post it has “built Ford Tough” no missing “d”.
Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

These trucks are more capable than people expect.

Proflig8tor

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gulfstream / Grumman AA5B
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Had an old 96 Ranger I drove until 2012. Put a whole full pallet of shingles - which Lowes was very afraid to load. I had confused the GVWR for what it could hold. 1,293 lbs vs ~3,600. Drove it another 200,000 miles after that ... so yeah, Ford knows how to build a good little truck.

burger_time

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mazda3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is cool and all, but do you think we'll ever see an actual tow package offered for the hybrid? It seems like the main limitation is the lower power on the hybrid engine which doesn't seem like a simple thing to option out for a tow package variant. And obviously going with a bigger engine will impact MPG even when not towing. FWIW the Highlander hybrid seems to have a very similar drivetrain and is rated for towing 3500 lbs. I think they say 186 HP for its 2.5 liter Atkinson Cycle engine.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Best I can figure, the hybrid will tow more when it is AWD.

Traction is what the FWD Hybrid needs more of to start.
🤷🏻‍♂️

You'll notice the 2WD EcoBoost is rated the same towing as the hybrid.

Sponsored

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You gotta do what you gotta do. Mavericks keep on coming thru when needed. I am temporarily using my Lariat Hybrid to pull a trailer, mowing equipment, etc. for a few weeks while awaiting my old 2008 RAM 1500 go get out of the shop. Even though I am under 2K pounds, it performs like a champ and constantly gives me 30 mpg. Never expected anything less since it is a Maverick.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Considering he did with a Hybrid, there may be other things that could cause issue. That said, 3,500 for a truck doesn't seem like a stretch, and any of the base could probably have been rated for 3k. 4k probably should be 5k as well similar to Santa Cruz.
There is a SAE standard for testing built into every modern tow rating. It takes all factors into account. Most trucks would be rated lower now than the standards of 10 years ago. But people driving have very little common sense these days. Manufacturers need to protect themselves from stupid consumers. Better to be conservative, than say the Hybrid can tow more, and bad things happen.
Sponsored