First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-Max Energi PHEV, Maverick Lariat Hybrid DEC2023
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drove from north central Vermont to south central NC in mid November. @980 miles and went 70-75 on the highways and either the speed limit or about 5 mph above on the secondary roads. Used eco mode the length of the trip.

It was not what I would call windy but at no time did I have a tail wind. Most of the time I was driving into the wind. I did not have any passengers but did have a moderate amount of stuff adding some weight. I have a soft tri fold tonneau cover.

The truck had about 1500 miles on it at the start of the trip so not what I would call broken in yet.

I got 36+ mpg with regular gas and calculated the old fashion way.
Break in talk is so overrated. It's about how you drive and l firmly believe you 'train' the computer in hybrid, depending on your usual driving. I have driven hybrid for 10 years. I took delivery of a new Mav hybrid in Miami, drove to L.A. out of the box at 75 MPH for 3200 miles and averaged 38 for the whole trip. Sure there were legs downhill where it was higher, but overall, 38+. No break in.
Sponsored

Snowbird

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV 2018
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Break in talk is so overrated. It's about how you drive and l firmly believe you 'train' the computer in hybrid, depending on your usual driving. I have driven hybrid for 10 years. I took delivery of a new Mav hybrid in Miami, drove to L.A. out of the box at 75 MPH for 3200 miles and averaged 38 for the whole trip. Sure there were legs downhill where it was higher, but overall, 38+. No break in.
You may be right.

My experience has been that the 7 new ICE vehicles that I have owned had increased MPG results after being driven for a while. The Hybrid has a ICE that runs some of the time so perhaps it may become more efficient with some break in. I except that being a Hybrid it will be hard to confirm because as you stated it is about how you drive.

Time will tell.

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
drops off exponentially past 65mph. 45-55 mph is the sweet spot.

MarcoG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You may be right.

My experience has been that the 7 new ICE vehicles that I have owned had increased MPG results after being driven for a while. The Hybrid has a ICE that runs some of the time so perhaps it may become more efficient with some break in. I except that being a Hybrid it will be hard to confirm because as you stated it is about how you drive.

Time will tell.
Not my experience after 2 hybrid and a plug in hybrid for last decade. I have talked to many hybrid owners and Ford knowledgeable mechanics. There are people who always complain they don't reach the EPA sticker and others who exceed it. It doesn't change unless your driving habits change. There is an art to driving hybrid. If you drive like an Ice vehicle and are aggressive, you just won't get what you can get out of them. They don't just "get" more efficient by themselves.

Snowbird

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV 2018
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not my experience after 2 hybrid and a plug in hybrid for last decade. I have talked to many hybrid owners and Ford knowledgeable mechanics. There are people who always complain they don't reach the EPA sticker and others who exceed it. It doesn't change unless your driving habits change. There is an art to driving hybrid. If you drive like an Ice vehicle and are aggressive, you just won't get what you can get out of them. They don't just "get" more efficient by themselves.
Thanks for the heads up.

It's my third hybrid and I am far exceeding the EPA sticker MPG's estimate as I have on every vehicle I have owned.

Enjoy your ride, I am certainly enjoying mine.

Sponsored

MarcoG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the heads up.

It's my third hybrid and I am far exceeding the EPA sticker MPG's estimate as I have on every vehicle I have owned.

Enjoy your ride, I am certainly enjoying mine.
Agreed! Do like our Mav.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My hybrid drops down to 25-30 mpg on the interstate at 75mph. Still better than my silverado at 17 but not as good as i thought it would get. Have 2500 miles on the truck. Maybe cold temps, maybe not broke in yet
Cold temps can be 4-6 or more if lower than 20°F. Over 68 in mine mpg will start dropping due to mainly ice running constantly.

Mc_Flier

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 Maverick Hybrid, Street Glide Special
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ran to the ATL and back. Several hundred miles with really cold temps. Only managed 34 mpg, round trip. No bueno.
So glad I’m not sitting in a line for EV charging.
Sponsored