Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT FX4 Atlas Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I finally got cruise control installed (changed both switches) and programmed, but now the airbag light stays on and I can't get the airbag back off to check if I got the wiring properly seated. To be honest, I really don't know how I got the airbag off in the first place. When I applied pressure, nothing happened. I was about to give up when I noticed one side had popped out, so I continued with the other side until it popped out too (still don't know how I did it). I tried the second time for almost 2 hours and couldn't get the the airbag off to check the wiring plugs. At one time, I applied so much pressure, I was afraid I was going to bend my screwdriver. Cruise control works great. I tested it from 20mph up to 75mph and it works as it should. Any one have any idea what I'm doing wrong to get the airbag out? I've tried heavy and light pressure.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used the selfie camera on my phone to see what I was doing. Basically, you need to gently pry the little silver "bars" with your screwdriver. It actually takes VERY little pressure to operate the clips. If you are using a lot of force, you are not aligning the screwdriver correctly.

phly95

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had the same thing happen to me. Turns out, I didn't push the orange things on the connectors in properly. Once I had fixed that, the light went away.

I then cleared the DTC codes and after some time passed (probably give it an hour or so), the message in the Fordpass app went away.

wyouger

First Name
Williard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger
I have not seen my maverick yet but I am familiar with air bag and seatbelt connectors. There is usually a locking device (CPA), usually orange, that must be up when you insert the plug and pushed down to lock after inserted.

Ford Maverick Got Cruise Control to Work, But Airbag Light Stays On Connector CPA

wyouger

First Name
Williard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger
I have not seen my maverick yet but I am familiar with air bag and seatbelt connectors. There is usually a locking device (CPA), usually orange, that must be up when you insert the plug and pushed down to lock after inserted.

Connector CPA.png
Hopefully the little round mating insert didn't come out of the air bag with the connector. There is a trick to reinstall them.

Ford Maverick Got Cruise Control to Work, But Airbag Light Stays On Connectors w_inserts

Sponsored

OP
OP
garryjohnson

garryjohnson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I know which connectors to check once I get the airbag off, but the problem is that after trying for over 3 hours, the airbag wouldn't budge. I tried again today and, after another 3 hours, finally gave up. When I reconnected the battery, I had a shifter error. I disconnected the battery again for 10 minutes and thankfully when I reconnected it, the shifter error cleared. However, the airbag light stayed on. I may just have to eat it and take it to a local mechanic to have it removed for me. I'll check the connections and put it back in.

phly95

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't bother with the battery, you can fix the airbag with the battery hooked up just fine.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't bother with the battery, you can fix the airbag with the battery hooked up just fine.
Ford says to disconnect the battery when working on the airbag. While the odds of having an airbag deploy may be small, the consequences are not.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sounds like you either put the connectors on backwards or not on all the way. Getting it off is a pain but once you get the screwdriver in the slot just push it around as you try to loosen one side then the other by pulling it out. You may have to go back and forth a few times but it will pop loose.

Telemachus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB (sold), XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds like you either put the connectors on backwards or not on all the way. Getting it off is a pain but once you get the screwdriver in the slot just push it around as you try to loosen one side then the other by pulling it out. You may have to go back and forth a few times but it will pop loose.
After 3 hours I would assume he's gone back and forth a few times...

You could literally walk into and mechanic shop and offer them $20 to get the wheel off. If they can't get it off in about 1 minute then you need to find one of the thieves out there who remove the GM steering columns in 20 seconds!

Sponsored

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I finally got cruise control installed (changed both switches) and programmed, but now the airbag light stays on and I can't get the airbag back off to check if I got the wiring properly seated. To be honest, I really don't know how I got the airbag off in the first place. When I applied pressure, nothing happened. I was about to give up when I noticed one side had popped out, so I continued with the other side until it popped out too (still don't know how I did it). I tried the second time for almost 2 hours and couldn't get the the airbag off to check the wiring plugs. At one time, I applied so much pressure, I was afraid I was going to bend my screwdriver. Cruise control works great. I tested it from 20mph up to 75mph and it works as it should. Any one have any idea what I'm doing wrong to get the airbag out? I've tried heavy and light pressure.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Did you get this airbag issue resolved?

OP
OP
garryjohnson

garryjohnson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Funny you should ask. It's at my local Ford dealership right now being taken care of. I was assured that if there was a charge to me, I could use my FordPass points to pay. And that's OK since I'll never use them for anything else anyway. I'm also having the oil changed (2896 miles) and the trailer brake recall taken care of. I will update when I pick it up later today (hopefully).

OP
OP
garryjohnson

garryjohnson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

UPDATE!!! Just picked my truck up at World Ford and my out of pocket cost was $10.24 after using my FordPass points and Ford Maintenance plan. Total was $270.24 for 1 hour of labor (minimum charge) and the oil change. I knew going in that I was going to have to pay (or use points) for the airbag and the oil change. I had been kicking myself for getting the maintrnance plan, but now I'm kind of glad I did. At first, World Ford gave me the run around about having to leave my truck for 14 days minimum to get it looked at with no loaner or rental. I only have the one vehicle and I work, so leaving it for that long was not an option. I had to place a bad review on dealerrate.com to get the general managers attention and even then it took almost a month to get today's appointment. In the end, all was taken care of and I will continue to use World Ford for future service.
Sponsored