TripleOption

First Name
Keithen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Dakota
Hey Everyone!

I'm planning on getting a AWD Maverick, but I'm on the fence about the FX4 package. I often drive in Nebraska in the winter time which can mean unexpected snowstorms. I also have the need to drive in cornfields from time to time.

The skid plates are a nice feature that will protect the underbody if I would need to drive in a field. However, I'm concerned with losing the slippery mode to get sand /rut as well as mud mode. Doing some quick google searches shows these descriptions for the bronco sport:
  • Slippery - Snowy and similarly low-traction environments require a different set of optimizations to how the drivetrain functions from normal driving conditions. Slippery mode lowers throttle response and optimizes shifting for slippery surfaces, according to Ford. Sure to be a favorite in northern climes, Slippery mode should help on snowy commutes and icy outings.
  • Sand - The Sand mode is a bit more of a mystery. Ford commentary on the mode is a bit un-committal, saying, ā€œMay help get vehicle unstuck from deep snow or sand.ā€ Like the other modes, this may impact throttle response and gear changes but we canā€™t confirm
  • Mud/Ruts - Ford says Mud/Ruts engages 4x4 lock so that you can keep going even if you have a tire that canā€™t get traction. It does not engage the Rear Differential Lock. However, 4x4 lock can be selected independently of the GOAT modes. This seems to mean that when you select Mud/Ruts thereā€™s something more that the system does
Any thoughts on the FX4 package taking away from standard snow driving?
Sponsored

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Since the Maverick owners manual is now a downloadable pdf did you look at the AWD section? Probably similar to the Bronco but there could be some differences and might help with answers.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey Everyone!

I'm planning on getting a AWD Maverick, but I'm on the fence about the FX4 package. I often drive in Nebraska in the winter time which can mean unexpected snowstorms. I also have the need to drive in cornfields from time to time.

The skid plates are a nice feature that will protect the underbody if I would need to drive in a field. However, I'm concerned with losing the slippery mode to get sand /rut as well as mud mode. Doing some quick google searches shows these descriptions for the bronco sport:
  • Slippery - Snowy and similarly low-traction environments require a different set of optimizations to how the drivetrain functions from normal driving conditions. Slippery mode lowers throttle response and optimizes shifting for slippery surfaces, according to Ford. Sure to be a favorite in northern climes, Slippery mode should help on snowy commutes and icy outings.
  • Sand - The Sand mode is a bit more of a mystery. Ford commentary on the mode is a bit un-committal, saying, ā€œMay help get vehicle unstuck from deep snow or sand.ā€ Like the other modes, this may impact throttle response and gear changes but we canā€™t confirm
  • Mud/Ruts - Ford says Mud/Ruts engages 4x4 lock so that you can keep going even if you have a tire that canā€™t get traction. It does not engage the Rear Differential Lock. However, 4x4 lock can be selected independently of the GOAT modes. This seems to mean that when you select Mud/Ruts thereā€™s something more that the system does
Any thoughts on the FX4 package taking away from standard snow driving?
Huh, only ECO and SPORT is replaced in FX4, not SLIPPERY.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

tebowed

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 2.0T
Quick question, not to thread jack... Is there any way to select or hold a specific gear with this transmission?

Sponsored

OP
OP

TripleOption

First Name
Keithen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Dakota
My bad, the person speaking on the video I was watching must have misspoken. Thanks for clearing that up guys!

ledger9427

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corolla, 2022 Maverick XLT EB
I attached a link of the most recent order guide which states that the FX4 package will have Normal, Sport, Mud/rut, Sand, and tow/haul.

The owners manual doesn't say anything about what modes are included in the FX4, but there is no "(if equipped)" next to the description of the slippery mode which would insinuate that its a standard option.

That being said, I ordered FX4 for the skid plates and larger display screen. I really dislike the idea of them removing street driving modes.... I plan to go off-road once or twice a year, maybe, but for the other 363 days a year I'd like the street driving modes, dammit.

Attachments

OP
OP

TripleOption

First Name
Keithen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Dakota
Okay, so we are back to square 1 with them taking away the slippery mode for the FX4 package.

Seems odd that the best mode for snow would be taken away by an offroad package. Anyone have any idea how the mud/rut and sand mode might fair?

ledger9427

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corolla, 2022 Maverick XLT EB
In the owners manual it says that mud/rut could help with deep snow.

It says NOT to use sand mode on a snow covered road, instead it suggests using slippery mode, which makes it sound like a standard mode to me.

Adrieling

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Iā€™m from Nebraska as well. Hoping my Hybrid will do good with some
nice winter tires, and the help of the slippery setting.

Sponsored

HarrisonFordMaverick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Eco and sport are all that I've ever heard of being removed in the FX4 package. However if this system is anything like the Ranger then you can likely add them via Forscan which is third party software as I understand it. The Ranger FX4 pack add terrain modes over the the standard 4x4 package but people have been able to purchase the terrain management switch from Ford parts and via Forscan add the terrain modes into a non-FX4 Ranger.

Barefootdan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model Y
I hope we keep sport and eco modes. I dont see the logic in removing modes. Hopefully we can do the Forscan if they are missing. As for the FX4 package, I remember seeing a post that the manual was pretty strict on offroading. Meaning, if you dont have the FX4 package, the Maverick is not meant to be driven offroad and may void your warranty. Im glad I picked the FX4 (regardless of modes) now just as a peace of mind when I do go offroad...even if its only a handful times a year.

OP
OP

TripleOption

First Name
Keithen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Dakota
I'm guessing there is a typo in the document ledger9427 attached about sport mode staying and the absence of slippery mode in the FX4 package.

I'll probably lean on the owners manual that does not include the phrase "if equipped" on the slippery section.

JamesHenry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit, 2019 Honda Odyssey
It's really weird limiting what is essentially software functionality behind paywalls. The FX4 package should add to drive modes, not replace them.

I originally opted out of the FX4 because I wanted sport mode but added the package this week because the latest order guide listed Sport mode was one of the drive options with it.

At this point it's a complete crap shoot šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

OP
OP

TripleOption

First Name
Keithen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Dakota
Lucky (or unlucky) for me, I haven't placed my order yet so while I'll have to wait for a couple months, I'll at least have time to see what others get and hopefully be able to change it.
Sponsored