14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For me, I regret not getting the 4K tow package. Initial feedback between the 4K tow and the FX4 package seemed like they offered the same capabilities...then I found out the FX4 package didn’t have the transmission cooler but it was too late to change my order by that point.

What sold me on the FX4 package was the skid plates, wheels, better rear shocks, tow hooks, 6.5 screen and the heavy duty engine cooling fan and radiator combo...so pretty much everything lol, just drive modes are a bonus to me. I actually prefer the FX4 skid plates as I almost always end up damaging the cheap plastic air dams or underbody skids. The black wheels on the FX4 package with a velocity blue XLT really look killer too.

Oil changes won’t bother me, I can have my entire front bumper with the underbody skids off my 14’ Mustang in 10 minutes at this point so 15 small screws doesn’t bother me a bit. Just buy an electric screwdriver, they are like 20-30 dollars all day long on Amazon and perfect for this type of work. Loss of sport mode? I plan on keeping my Mustang so it’s a moot point to me, maybe if it was my only vehicle I’d be annoyed. From what I read, eco mode kind of sucks unless your cruising on the highway so I’ll be ok without it too.

If your a true off-roader, this is the wrong vehicle for it and I also agree anyone getting AWD should absolutely get the 4K tow package, even if they won’t tow with it. The FX4 isn’t for everyone but it offered what I was looking for at an affordable price so I can’t complain.
Sponsored

psuarmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m not a black-wheel or off-road guy. So, I’m leaning away from FX4 Package. (I’m planning on ordering a Lariat, EB, AWD.)
Plus, I think I want the other drive-modes (Eco, Sport). I understand there is a gearing difference. Is it detectable ?

FX 4

reasons for ?
reasons against ?

help

thanks,
BK
Reasons against:
1 It is an off road package that really doesn't turn the truck into an off road truck.
2 Skid plates look like they will be a problem.

Reasons for:
1. with XLT you get the bigger screen
2. I got white and it kind of looked like a fleet vehicle. Tow hooks made the front end pop and decals went nice with the white. Going to try red plasti-dip on the tow hooks.
3 Rims are nicer
4 Mechanically the engine cooler, oil cooler and back suspension were a bonus

As you can see my top three reasons were cosmetic. That is exactly why I got it. I looked at it as an appearance package. I am OK with that because it was very affordable.

Cward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nada
The reviews I have seen really like sport mode. That is why I did not order FX4 on purpose even though it is cheap. Losing sport mode on a 250hp engine vs off road mode for what is really a softroader that will be rarely used did not make sense to me. Unless you want to lift this low profile truck to make it look like a Tremor I would not lose sport or eco modes. Regular AWD will handle dirt roads to the trailhead just fine.

Oh and there are about 15 bolts you have to pay to remove the FX4 skidplate at every oil change.
Those 15 bolts are on a regular AWD video on youtube. Maybe a fluke? Not sure, but they were there.

2022 Ford Maverick Bottom View - YouTube

Last edited:

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
After watching the latest TFL video it makes me feel even better that we went 4K tow over FX4. The trail they put their AWD 4K tow Mav on is way more than we ever will.

Anyway, here's the vid if you missed it.

Sponsored