Sponsored

FORD TO SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASE PRODUCTION OF MUSTANG MACH-E IN 2023, REDUCES PRICES ACROSS THE BOARD

Christenhildebrandt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Christen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There might be bleed over. "Ford already offers EV customers a full-size truck, SUV and van – and has secured the batteries and raw material to scale production of all these models in 2023." I highly doubt Ford went through the effort to lock supplies up for these and didn't try to also include the Maverick hybrid in those supplies.

FischAutoTechGarten

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Green Valley Arizona USA, Alamos Sonora MEX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat EB AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Although the Mach-E uses a modified version of the C2 Platform (Focus, Maverick, Escape, Corsair, Bronco Sport), GE1, it is manufactured in an entirely seperate Factory, City, State within Mexico. So, it's increase does not decrease Maverick manufacturability.

Regardless, it does signal that Ford is having success with the BEV platform. Maybe we will see some enthusiam for increasing Maverick Hybrid (MY2024) output as that has been the preferred choice when customers ordered their Mavericks. Who knows, perhaps we will see the introduction of a PHEV Maverick (MY2025).

AltoBAP

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jefferson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There might be bleed over. "Ford already offers EV customers a full-size truck, SUV and van – and has secured the batteries and raw material to scale production of all these models in 2023." I highly doubt Ford went through the effort to lock supplies up for these and didn't try to also include the Maverick hybrid in those supplies.
You're forgetting one thing...

Ford will only build enough Hybrid Mavs to meet CAFE standards so they can sell profitable F-series trucks.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You're forgetting one thing...

Ford will only build enough Hybrid Mavs to meet CAFE standards so they can sell profitable F-series trucks.
That's all well and good, but Mach-E MPGe towards CAFE dwarfs Maverick. Plus the Mach-E is sold out and so Ford didn't need to lower the price as they just announced. It seems to me there was no pressing need to sell any Hybrid Mavericks, much less set aside 35% of Maverick production.

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's all well and good, but Mach-E MPGe towards CAFE dwarfs Maverick. Plus the Mach-E is sold out and so Ford didn't need to lower the price as they just announced. It seems to me there was no pressing need to sell any Hybrid Mavericks, much less set aside 35% of Maverick production.
So now you see why there is no evidence of any effort to build more of them, and substantial price increases to decrease demand. Turns out, Maverick Hybrid may not have really been needed in the first place, and their BEVs both Go Further toward CAFE compliance and set them up for a profitable long-term future. They're selling so many BEVs that they've had to twice expand the physical footprint of REVC, and are boosting capacity at Cuautitlán.

22MY Escape FHEV was an $1800 upcharge over the base 1.5L EB.

23MY Escape ST-Line sees that increase nearly 100% to $3,500. Want Tech Pack #1? There's a discount on that when combined with the EB engine, not available for hybrid, that adds $750 to that price difference. $4,250 more for a hybrid, or a 136.1% increase (which is 236.1% the prior price) from the year prior. Sure buys a lot of gas, given the lil 3-cyl 1.5L EB can be quite efficient if you want it to be.

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So now you see why there is no evidence of any effort to build more of them, and substantial price increases to decrease demand.
They are just adding another shift to the Maverick plant for no reason at all? And the substantial prices increases does nothing for Fords profit?

Why do you compare the Hybrid to the 1.5 EB? The Maverick has a 2.0 EB. The 22 Escape AWD Hybrid was $700 LESS THAN the 22 Escape AWD 2.0 EB.

23MY Escape ST-Line sees that increase nearly 100% to $3,500. Want Tech Pack #1? There's a discount on that when combined with the EB engine, not available for hybrid, that adds $750 to that price difference. $4,250 more for a hybrid, or a 136.1% increase (which is 236.1% the prior price) from the year prior. Sure buys a lot of gas, given the lil 3-cyl 1.5L EB can be quite efficient if you want it to be.
Amazing how Ford knows about the basic law of supply and demand. Price of gas goes up to $3, $4 a gallon and the demand for Hybrids goes through the roof. So Ford raises prices. Very simple.

Last edited:

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So now you see why there is no evidence of any effort to build more of them, and substantial price increases to decrease demand. Turns out, Maverick Hybrid may not have really been needed in the first place, and their BEVs both Go Further toward CAFE compliance and set them up for a profitable long-term future. They're selling so many BEVs that they've had to twice expand the physical footprint of REVC, and are boosting capacity at Cuautitlán.

If Ford's sole goal was profit margins and bumping the CAFE, they sure are going backwards by adding a third shift on their low-end model and cutting prices on an EV that is being sold faster than they can order them.

I still think the Maverick is a glorified loss-leader. Not everyone can afford an F-150 or can afford one right now. The Maverick is to get you into a Ford... any Ford. Then maybe when you upgrade in 5-10 years you will look at the more profitable F-150. But none of that happens if they can't get you into the Maverick now.

Brand loyalty is huge. They want your first truck to be a Ford because then your last truck will likely also be a Ford.

richman555

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV
Engine
Undecided
I believe the Maverick will eventually have this lineup where the current hybrid and eco boost option becomes less important -

Maverick Hybrid - Maverick EcoBoost - Maverick Thunder (PHEV) - Maverick Lightning (EV)

We may see a 2024 Maverick Thunder by end of this year.

And like the person above said, Ford is likely to make less money on the cheaper smaller trucks. However it may prove to be a good foot in the door to the Ford ecosystem.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This headline is even more interesting now that we know Ford built a grand total of ZERO Mach-E in January. They have some ground to make up.
Sponsored