Sponsored

Will Ford increase production of Mavericks?

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For 2022 model year, Ford sold out (well over sold) its production capacity and stopped orders about 6 months into the year. Much less than that for hybrids.

For 2023 model year it appears they might sell out the full year's production in less than 2 weeks.

So will they (can they?) increase production for this year?

Jim Farley has been spending all week tweeting about how awesome the new Mustang is. When he gets done with that maybe he should look into the vehicle that sold out in 2 weeks.....................
Sponsored

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They'll male as many as they can make. It's not like they are purposefully throwing away money and choosing not to match demand.

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just make sure you placed an order and don't even consider or remotely canceling it. With about 48,000 registered 2022 Mavs in the USA, that's a very low number of vehicles, so order a 2023 the way you want it, and wait for it.

Average wait time for June/July/August for most was 8-9 mos. Not sure if that would be the case with 2023

OP
OP

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They'll make as many as they can make.
Sure, but will they add another shift? Open another line at a different plant? Or are they satisfied with filling their annual production quota in 7 days?

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sure, but will they add another shift? Open another line at a different plant? Or are they satisfied with filling their annual production quota in 7 days?
Given the supply constraints and other lingering issues it might be that they can't make that many more. Also they will focus on higher profit vehicles regardless.

Sponsored

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They run almost 24/7 with overtime when parts are available. That line builds three different cars so I'd wager they are probably operating at the fastest and safest speed they can when parts are available.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the future is EV why don't they just cancel the Ecoboost and focus on the hybrid.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would think they'll make less MY23 than MY22. We were at over 112,000 MY22 VINs assigned last I heard. Because they've extended production all the way to mid-November, and are closing MY23 order banks very quickly, I think MY23 will be a shorter production run. Probably more along the lines of 9-10 months rather than 14-15.

B2000

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B2000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Closing customer orders does not mean that's all they can or will make. They may want to switch to making more dealer inventory cars because dealers want inventory with or without the markups. And the window could open again. As others have said there are labor and supply constraints. Assuming we have a serious recession in the next 6 months there will less demand and cancelled orders. Some people are going to have to make hard choices on what they buy with energy and food getting higher.

OP
OP

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the future is EV why don't they just cancel the Ecoboost and focus on the hybrid.
Because EV's are the future, not the present. Ford (plus GM and everyone else) have massive battery plants under construction. Seems they will be coming on line in 2024 or 2025. So expect to see EV's become more available and prices moderate in 2025 and 2026. Until then they keep building ICE engines.

Last edited:
Sponsored

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Because EV's are the future, not the present. Ford )plus GM and everyone else) have massive battery plants under construction. Seems they will be coming on line in 2024 or 2025. So expect to see EV's become more available and prices moderate in 2025 and 2026. Until then they keep building ICE engines.
What I'm trying to say is a hybrid is the next best thing. So it would make sense just to build hybrids untill they go full ev. Build no more full ice vehicles.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They seem to produce more Bronco Sports at the Hermosillo plant than the Maverick Hybrid or EcoBoost, Why❓ as the Magic 🎱 says Reply Hazey 🙄

OP
OP

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What I'm trying to say is a hybrid is the next best thing. So it would make sense just to build hybrids untill they go full ev. Build no more full ice vehicles.
Battery limitations apply to hybrids as well as EV. I am not sure they have the battery production capacity to do that yet.
And there is still a lot of anti-EV sentiment out there. Even on this forum there are numerous posts that spread FUD about hybrids, EVs and electrification. So those folks will need to be gradually educated.

The reality is we are in the middle of a complete technology revolution. In 10 years EV's and hybrids will be the norm and pure ICE will be the minority. But you cannot switch a complete industry overnight. Especially when I suspect a lot of the engineers and managers at the car companies are still resisting change.

I suspect part of the Ford-E and Ford-blue thing is to move the dinosaurs into Ford-blue assuming that they will be closing in on retirement just as EV's take over. The engineers in Ford-E are the future.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Battery limitations apply to hybrids as well as EV. I am not sure they have the battery production capacity to do that yet.
And there is still a lot of anti-EV sentiment out there. Even on this forum there are numerous posts that spread FUD about hybrids, EVs and electrification. So those folks will need to be gradually educated.

The reality is we are in the middle of a complete technology revolution. In 10 years EV's and hybrids will be the norm and pure ICE will be the minority. But you cannot switch a complete industry overnight. Especially when I suspect a lot of the engineers and managers at the car companies are still resisting change.

I suspect part of the Ford-E and Ford-blue thing is to move the dinosaurs into Ford-blue assuming that they will be closing in on retirement just as EV's take over. The engineers in Ford-E are the future.
I'm guessing we will see a plug in AWD hybrid Maverick for the refresh in probably 2025 or 26.

The64

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the reason for splitting is more market related. They see the valuations that pure EV companies like Tesla are getting and they realize old stodgy Ford will never get there. Splitting the business could help them unlock that value.

I'm guessing they also want to move away from a dealer model if possible.
Sponsored