Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've never owned a Ford (or any other American brand) mostly because they've never seemed terribly reliable. But I'm going to purchase a Ford Maverick, because nobody else is making anything similar.

I've never regretted not purchasing an extended warranty or service plan for any Toyota, Honda, or Mitsubishi vehicle that I've owned. Reliable cars just don't seem to need them.

The question is whether other Maverick buyers are going to buy service plans. The closest Ford vehicle is the Escape, which doesn't seem to have proven to be that reliable. I know that it's a gamble, but I'd love to know what other folks are thinking.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 Sonata
Engine
Undecided
Extended warranties are a 'love it or hate it' topic. But it's generally accepted that a Ford plan is the way to go. And if you decide to do so, prices are negotiable, and don't have to be bought from the selling dealer. They can also be bought online, and Flood Ford is a good place to start when the time comes.

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
It depends on the price, miles driven over a specif amount of time. I purchased it once, broke even.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Snax

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Let's be honest. They sell warranties for the car because it's a cash cow for the dealer.
You buy it for simply piece of mind
That's true, in general. Depending on the quality of the vehicle, the "piece of mind" can worth a few bucks, or waste of money. But when the quality sucks, extended warranties can be a wallet-saver. I'd never buy one for a Honda or Toyota, because they make reliable vehicles. But some other manufacturers make nice-looking junk. Ford seems to have a mixed reputation, sometimes making junkers, and sometimes making durable cars. I wonder which one the Maverick will be? At this point, I'm leaning toward an extended warranty, because the reliability of the Maverick's "cousins" isn't looking that great...

Lappo424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord - Looking to switch to Maverick XL
That's true, in general. Depending on the quality of the vehicle, the "piece of mind" can worth a few bucks, or waste of money. But when the quality sucks, extended warranties can be a wallet-saver. I'd never buy one for a Honda or Toyota, because they make reliable vehicles. But some other manufacturers make nice-looking junk. Ford seems to have a mixed reputation, sometimes making junkers, and sometimes making durable cars. I wonder which one the Maverick will be? At this point, I'm leaning toward an extended warranty, because the reliability of the Maverick's "cousins" isn't looking that great...
Im a long time Jap car guy. I never bought an American car but I think Ford has this one down.

If your worried about reliability and have your doubts, why purchase it?

I'm in the same boat about getting the warranty but I definitely will shop around for it if I do

OP
OP
Snax

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If your worried about reliability and have your doubts, why purchase it?
Because nobody else is making something similar. I like the size, fuel efficiency, utility, etc. If Toyota were making something similar, I'd buy that instead. But they aren't, so I'm weighing my options with the Maverick. I REALLY want it to be reliable, but Ford's reputation is giving me pause. I suspect that other folks who owned small trucks from Toyota and Nissan in the '80s and '90s are facing the same dilemma. Those trucks were tough, reliable, and durable--but also small, efficient, and affordable.

Lappo424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because nobody else is making something similar. I like the size, fuel efficiency, utility, etc. If Toyota were making something similar, I'd buy that instead. But they aren't, so I'm weighing my options with the Maverick. I REALLY want it to be reliable, but Ford's reputation is giving me pause. I suspect that other folks who owned small trucks from Toyota and Nissan in the '80s and '90s are facing the same dilemma. Those trucks were tough, reliable, and durable--but also small, efficient, and affordable.
I'm in the same exact boat. I'd love a Ridgeline but not the price tag or mpg

I feel the Ford will be good

Sponsored
OP
OP
Snax

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I feel the Ford will be good
I was feeling reasonably optimistic as well--until I spent a little time reading posts on the Bronco Sport forum. Made me a little nervous. But the Ford warranty plans aren't horribly priced, especially with lower mileage. I've obviously got a few months to consider, re-consider, debate, and ponder. If I had to decide right now, I'd cough up for the extra warranty. But it seems we have many months to see what's happening with the new Escape and Bronco Sport before deciding.

Lappo424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was feeling reasonably optimistic as well--until I spent a little time reading posts on the Bronco Sport forum. Made me a little nervous. But the Ford warranty plans aren't horribly priced, especially with lower mileage. I've obviously got a few months to consider, re-consider, debate, and ponder. If I had to decide right now, I'd cough up for the extra warranty. But it seems we have many months to see what's happening with the new Escape and Bronco Sport before deciding.
How long and how much for the warranty your kicking around

OP
OP
Snax

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How long and how much for the warranty your kicking around
On the recommendation of some folks in the forum, I was looking at Flood Ford. They sell genuine "Ford Protect Extended Service Plans" online, which lets you check some numbers. I'm not sure if their prices are accurate for the Maverick, but I'm hoping that they are close. You can test some options at: https://www.floodfordesp.com/