First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After purchasing a 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid and now a 2022 Maverick, I used most of my 88K FordPass points and ordered a tonneau cover at $0 cost to me (except buying two new vehicles lol)

these really need to be about an inch longer. I don’t know who measured these to manufacture them, but I hope it’s not the guy who built my actual truck.

after installing and getting gaping spaces in the back where the tailgate closes, I had to Loosen all six brackets and try again (see pic with hand)
Ford Maverick Ford branded tonneau cover installed F4DF477A-FA99-43C0-84BC-3DC7270BADF0
Please note do not get in the habit of leaving tools on the black bumper because there is very little clearance if you lower your tailgate on top of your tools (see pic)
Ford Maverick Ford branded tonneau cover installed EA897E92-3DB9-4B8C-9511-993DCEA51FED

After moving the cover back significantly from the window I had enough room for the rubber flap to cover the tailgate however as you can see from the picture below it is still not a perfect seal And you can see how far back I am from the window just to get it sealed this well
Ford Maverick Ford branded tonneau cover installed 6726FB31-6E9B-4725-BA8D-579B0E279B93

Ford Maverick Ford branded tonneau cover installed 7D2CBA67-8662-4EEA-A3B0-AF16198A47BB

If any of you were curious like I was if the sliding tiedown rails or the spray in bedliner would affect the cover, it does not in the clamps fit just right
Ford Maverick Ford branded tonneau cover installed 151F8BC0-B4BC-4C7D-ACF1-E4D38E02836E

Ford Maverick Ford branded tonneau cover installed C4F68AB8-02EC-44A4-86E2-9C230D499275

Like any responsible maverick owner would do I went to my local automatic car wash and ran through the system. I’m a bit disappointed at how much water got in and I have this sucker down tight. In comparison to the cheap cover I had from Amazon for our F150 barely let a drop of water in going through the same car wash
Ford Maverick Ford branded tonneau cover installed 4931B348-751D-4224-AE1D-D5BDEE88E0F6

Overall, it was a free cover and it will do the job to keep luggage relatively dry in the normal rain or snow or dust, etc. and I will probably tinker with it to see if I can get it sealed a little better but these need to be longer plain and simple, If I paid the full nearly $300 for it I would take it back, no question. The Ford logo on the cover and the overall cover itself does look nice.
Ford Maverick Ford branded tonneau cover installed F14600DE-6C87-458E-B03E-D39F88DBFA0D
Ford Maverick Ford branded tonneau cover installed 64A151D2-DA5F-4E7D-B481-D8642E5E4D44
Sponsored

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided
Thanks for the write-up. You may want to consider returning it. That is not the way it should fit.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Like any responsible maverick owner would do I went to my local automatic car wash and ran through the system. I’m a bit disappointed at how much water got in and I have this sucker down tight. In comparison to the cheap cover I had from Amazon for our F150 barely let a drop of water in going through the same car wash
4931B348-751D-4224-AE1D-D5BDEE88E0F6.jpeg
Most of that car wash soap/water is likely coming in through the tailgate. If you want a tight bed you're going to have to weather strip the back.

OP
OP
mrjspence

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Most of that car wash soap/water is likely coming in through the tailgate. If you want a tight bed you're going to have to weather strip the back.
I think so too. Obviously the high pressure will throw more water inside vs. driving in the rain but still, a letdown, as mentioned our f150 cover didn’t leak hardly at all.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think so too. Obviously the high pressure will throw more water inside vs. driving in the rain but still, a letdown, as mentioned our f150 cover didn’t leak hardly at all.
I have the same cover (Truxedo branded), and agree it would be nice if it was an inch longer, but as far as I can tell it is "tightly sealed" all around (it really has to be close to the edge of the bulkhead). I have some weather stripping getting delivered, so I'm interested to test that observation once I get the tailgate sealed.

For me, it's super noticeable doing highway driving in the snow/flurries we've received recently. There was quiet a bit of snow in the closed bed because it just gets "shot" through those gaps with the drag at highway speeds.

Sponsored

LIL’ Buddy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT (Luxury, 4K tow, 360)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the same cover (Truxedo branded), and agree it would be nice if it was an inch longer, but as far as I can tell it is "tightly sealed" all around (it really has to be close to the edge of the bulkhead). I have some weather stripping getting delivered, so I'm interested to test that observation once I get the tailgate sealed.

For me, it's super noticeable doing highway driving in the snow/flurries we've received recently. There was quiet a bit of snow in the closed bed because it just gets "shot" through those gaps with the drag at highway speeds.
Hi. brnpttmn-
Thanks for the info and heads up. I just got the call that my new (Truxedo soft ford roll up tonneau cover) and rain/wind deflectors will arrive 1/22/22 and they will install them both on 1/27/22… I was going to have them install just the window deflectors as in case they are messed up or an issue it’s covered… due to cold and weather my garage isn’t useable it’s full of crap right now.
*anyways- did you get your weather stripping or seal done and if so how and what did you use? Would you just install the stripping on the interior underside or exterior underside edge(s)? I’m excited to have this installed! The bed full of snow and ice is annoying! And we can’t safely haul groceries or etc.

Thanks G & LiL buddy

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi. brnpttmn-
Thanks for the info and heads up. I just got the call that my new (Truxedo soft ford roll up tonneau cover) and rain/wind deflectors will arrive 1/22/22 and they will install them both on 1/27/22… I was going to have them install just the window deflectors as in case they are messed up or an issue it’s covered… due to cold and weather my garage isn’t useable it’s full of crap right now.
*anyways- did you get your weather stripping or seal done and if so how and what did you use? Would you just install the stripping on the interior underside or exterior underside edge(s)? I’m excited to have this installed! The bed full of snow and ice is annoying! And we can’t safely haul groceries or etc.

Thanks G & LiL buddy
I'm going to do it myself. I just purchased some 16.5mm automotive D-shaped weather stripping from Amazon.

This fella posted some pics of his weather stripping:
Tailgate Weather stripping (pics) | MaverickTruckClub - 2022+ Ford Maverick Pickup Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

I'm going to see if I can get it to seal enough if I put the stripping on the body rather than the tailgate itself.

LIL’ Buddy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm going to do it myself. I just purchased some 16.5mm automotive D-shaped weather stripping from Amazon.

Tailgate Weather stripping (pics) | MaverickTruckClub - 2022+ Ford Maverick Pickup Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

I'm going to see if I can get it to seal enough if I put the stripping on the body rather than the tailgate itself.
Cool thanks for the quick response, the linked info, and how to proceed roughly… hope you will be able to post pictures before/after and report back it was successful!!! Good luck and thanks G

Sponsored

bradFORD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

What height did you order? And please post your results with this application

OP
OP
mrjspence

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Ahhhh I see what you mean. True the sides are wide open too, I totally overlooked that. Thanks .

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Free or not, which it was not, why settle for something that clearly is sub-standard? Return it and make Ford very aware of their crap product.

I got a tri-fold from autoaccessories for $279 all-in and it fits great.

LIL’ Buddy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Free or not, which it was not, why settle for something that clearly is sub-standard? Return it and make Ford very aware of their crap product.

Nice price!!

OP
OP
mrjspence

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Yeah I may take it back. Literally have only had it on for one afternoon and it’s dark now. I’ll take a detailed look at the fit tomorrow (as if it would magically change overnight lol) and head back to the dealer parts Dept and see what they can do.
Sponsored