Sponsored

Engine model

TexasHybrid

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Jim
Joined
Sep 20, 2022
Threads
17
Messages
95
Reaction score
114
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What is the engine model of the 2.5L in the hybrid?
Sponsored

 

Ranko Kohime

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Ranko
Joined
Jul 21, 2025
Threads
10
Messages
281
Reaction score
445
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2025 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I do not have full confidence in this answer, but every source I’ve found says it’s model 993.

The hybrid itself is HF45 for 22-24, and HF55 for 25+
 

ikcelaks

2.5L Hybrid
Active member
First Name
Matt
Joined
Jun 19, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
31
Reaction score
69
Location
US
Vehicle(s)
2025 XLT 2.5L Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I do not have full confidence in this answer, but every source I’ve found says it’s model 993.

The hybrid itself is HF45 for 22-24, and HF55 for 25+
I think it's the same 99Z engine for the last iteration of the Escape Hybrid. As you mention, the power-split transmission was initially upgraded to the HF45 and again upgraded to the HF55 in 2025.

It's extremely difficult to find detailed information or commentary on the engine itself. I take this as a reflection of unobjectionable it is. There's no wet belt (or any belt!), no turbo, and no direct injection to worry about. It's a refinement of the best variant of an extremely mature platform (Mazda L5-VE). Aside from the occasional issues with coolant leaks during the Dex-Cool (orange coolant) years (2011-2019), this family of engines has been basically bullet-proof with only standard maintenance. It's probably not quite as efficient as the cutting-edge Toyota Atkinson cycle engines, so we don't see the same kind of buzz about it, but it's still extremely efficient while being pretty much the simplest engine available.
 

RideSolo

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Cory
Joined
Jan 2, 2025
Threads
7
Messages
605
Reaction score
1,311
Location
North Central Ohio
Vehicle(s)
'24 Lariat Hybrid, Shadow Black/'20 Escape Titanium Hybrid/'75 BMW R90/6
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs
 
... It's probably not quite as efficient as the cutting-edge Toyota Atkinson cycle engines, so we don't see the same kind of buzz about it, but it's still extremely efficient while being pretty much the simplest engine available.
It is an Atkinson cycle, are you saying that it's just not as good as the Toyota version?
 

ikcelaks

2.5L Hybrid
Active member
First Name
Matt
Joined
Jun 19, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
31
Reaction score
69
Location
US
Vehicle(s)
2025 XLT 2.5L Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is an Atkinson cycle, are you saying that it's just not as good as the Toyota version?
Good is relative and subjective. The new Toyota Atkinson engines use Dual Injection and other modern tricks. I'm confident that they have higher thermal efficiency than the Maverick engine. But the efficiency gap is certainly not very big, and there is a LOT to be said for using a slightly less optimized engine that has an extremely mature and known to be reliable design!

For instance, I'm extremely confident that I'm not going to have injector or head-gasket issues as long as I'm not an idiot. I could not be so confident with a Toyota "Dynamic Force" (or whatever) engine. That's not to say the Toyota engines will be unreliable, but this Ford engine has an long and extremely good history that gives me comfort.
 

Sponsored

Chops

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Gary
Joined
Jun 15, 2025
Threads
81
Messages
3,068
Reaction score
4,794
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Lobo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
What is the engine model of the 2.5L in the hybrid?
There is a sticker under your hood indicating the engine model….

My 2025 EB says SFMXT02.02Y3 and google tells me:

Engine Type: 2.0L Turbocharged Inline-4 (EcoBoost / MPC engine with port fuel and direct injection)
  • Horsepower: ~238 hp
  • Torque: ~275 lb-ft
  • Emission Classification: Gasoline engine without a Gasoline Particulate Filter”
 

Chops

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Gary
Joined
Jun 15, 2025
Threads
81
Messages
3,068
Reaction score
4,794
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Lobo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
My 2023 hybrid. I don't see a particular model number.

IMG20260917130404.webp


Screenshot_2026-09-17-13-09-32-82_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.webp
The engine code you googled is what I called “engine model”. Confusing choice of words by me oops.

The code indicates that it was “primarily used in 2023” Mavericks. Don’t know how or if 2022 or 2024+ are any different in anything but name…
 

Glen Baker LLC

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
May 29, 2024
Threads
32
Messages
8,676
Reaction score
15,802
Location
Central Nevada & Utah
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The engine code you googled is what I called “engine model”. Confusing choice of words by me oops.

The code indicates that it was “primarily used in 2023” Mavericks. Don’t know how or if 2022 or 2024+ are any different in anything but name…
So yours is basically the same sticker, shown in my picture.
 
Last edited:
Sponsored

Chops

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Gary
Joined
Jun 15, 2025
Threads
81
Messages
3,068
Reaction score
4,794
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Lobo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
So yours is basically the same sticker?
The stickers between the EB & Hybrid differ in engine “group” and “evap” system.

The EB engine has undergone a redesign since 2022 - but I think the OP and yourself and all Hybrids up to present have the same Atkinson. Per google:
“Engine Overview

Engine Family: Duratec 25 (Inline-4, DOHC)
 

Glen Baker LLC

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
May 29, 2024
Threads
32
Messages
8,676
Reaction score
15,802
Location
Central Nevada & Utah
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The stickers between the EB & Hybrid differ in engine “group” and “evap” system.

The EB engine has undergone a redesign since 2022 - but I think the OP and yourself and all Hybrids up to present have the same Atkinson. Per google:
“Engine Overview

Engine Family: Duratec 25 (Inline-4, DOHC)
That wasn't my question.
 
OP
OP

TexasHybrid

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Jim
Joined
Sep 20, 2022
Threads
17
Messages
95
Reaction score
114
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great discussion.

I really like the 2.5L Atkinson-cycle on the Hybrid application. The thermal efficiency is superb and the torque of the electric motor to launch and some acceleration works great.

Am optimistic this will last for 300k+ miles by keeping up with maintenance.
 

Chops

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Gary
Joined
Jun 15, 2025
Threads
81
Messages
3,068
Reaction score
4,794
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Lobo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
That wasn't my question.
I did not understand your question sorry. I did not help answering the OP’s question either. Just a useless EB owner in a Hybrid thread - I’ll leave now;)
 

Glen Baker LLC

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
May 29, 2024
Threads
32
Messages
8,676
Reaction score
15,802
Location
Central Nevada & Utah
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did not understand your question sorry. I did not help answering the OP’s question either. Just a useless EB owner in a Hybrid thread - I’ll leave now;)
Where was the label located in your engine compartment that you got your information from on your EcoBoost?
Sponsored

 
 







Top