Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Shouldn't the Maverick get the same or maybe a tiny bit worse mileage than the Bronco Sport with the same powertrain? If so, 23mpg should be the figure for the average driver.

BS.JPG

https://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/bronco_sport
BS2.JPG
aren't the final drive gear ratios different between Bronco Sport and Maverick? We still haven't seen EPA estimates yet on Mav, but it's really not a factor for me anyways and I'm going with 2.0 AWD + 4k tow package (which IIRC does change final drive ratio). My V-6 Grand Cherokee w/ full time 4 wheel drive gets steady 18 MPG around town (mostly all the driving I do nowadays) and our F-150 Sport with Coyote V-8 gets similar in 2WD default mode, so anything over 20 MPG city/combined in Maverick will be great for my needs (y)
Sponsored

Big Ragu

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Aric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The people here are early adopters who like more power and flashy colors. Fleet managers will be buying white XT hybrids by the bucket full, IMHO.
We are starting with 5 black hybrids. We are trying to reduce our per mile cost without sacrificing our current abilities from a ram promaster. We plan on removing back seating as well as custom parts storage in bed.

MarkG

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Hey Louie, so let me say it again, "The Hybrid Maverick, which gets 40 mpg is shaped exactly like the Maverick with Ecoboost..... "
I am outraged that Ford is sacrificing fuel economy for performance in one powertrain over another.

I demand that the Laws of Physics be repealed.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
aren't the final drive gear ratios different between Bronco Sport and Maverick? We still haven't seen EPA estimates yet on Mav, but it's really not a factor for me anyways and I'm going with 2.0 AWD + 4k tow package (which IIRC does change final drive ratio). My V-6 Grand Cherokee w/ full time 4 wheel drive gets steady 18 MPG around town (mostly all the driving I do nowadays) and our F-150 Sport with Coyote V-8 gets similar in 2WD default mode, so anything over 20 MPG city/combined in Maverick will be great for my needs (y)
I don't think final drives matter that much when you have an 8-speed transmission when looking at the EPA numbers. They don't go very fast on the highway portion, so the transmission may not even be in 8th gear much. Heck, the 8-speed transmission is just a slightly modified version of GM's 9-speed, and Ford said that the 9 gears were useless because top gear wasn't even used much and didn't affect fuel economy, so they cut a gear out to reduce costs and complexity.

When it comes to aerodynamics and weight, they should be pretty similar. I'd be really surprised if the Maverick outperforms the Bronco Sport in fuel economy, after all the Maverick Hybrid we know doesn't outperform the Ford Escape Hybrid.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They don't go very fast on the highway portion, so the transmission may not even be in 8th gear much.
"They" = the EPA's dyno lab. They aren't driving at all but punch some computer calculations together based on sensors. And then folks say "That ain't real world; I can get better MPG."

No you cannot get better MPG. The EPA synthetic test is 60mph max. Everyone drives insanely fast nowadays. On several other forums I've been lamblasted as a Grandpa for not going 90+mph. At 90, the aerodynamics are not in your favor. Anyone who says they drive Fast & Furious in a boxy ICE vehicle like Maverick and get 26MPH combined is living in FantasyLand. Ya gotta slow down to get better MPGs. Laws of physics are damn stubborn things.

Sponsored

Big Ragu

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Aric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm in this boat.
I'd take an AWD hybrid with 2k towing if it was available but because it's not I prefer AWD ecoboost with 4k towing.
Adding all wheel drive to a front wheel drive truck doesnt help in inclement weather.
Adding all wheel drive to a rear wheel drive truck does help in inclement weather.

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman S, Maverick XLT (Alto Blue), Altrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Technology that attempts to replace you simply turning your head and visually verifying your path is clear is not a saftey feature in my book.
Well it is a safety system for lazy people and those who might be harmed by their laziness.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

7000mi/26mpg x $3.81/gal = $1025.76/ year 7000mi/40mpg x $3.81/gal = $666.75 $1025.76-$666.75 = $359.01 per year savings. ReallY? Thats a difference of $29.91 per month. In Seattle 2 hours at minumum wage is more than that.
None of this addresses the predicted shortage of heavy metals required for EV batteries. It will be interesting to see how that affects hybrid costs of production going forward.
This is why I said screw it, I'd rather have more smiles per gallon. For a couple hundred more a year, I'll take it. Plus, that 40 mpg is likely lower on the hybrid for combined driving too. 🤨

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
"They" = the EPA's dyno lab. They aren't driving at all but punch some computer calculations together based on sensors. And then folks say "That ain't real world; I can get better MPG."

No you cannot get better MPG. The EPA synthetic test is 60mph max. Everyone drives insanely fast nowadays. On several other forums I've been lamblasted as a Grandpa for not going 90+mph. At 90, the aerodynamics are not in your favor. Anyone who says they drive Fast & Furious in a boxy ICE vehicle like Maverick and get 26MPH combined is living in FantasyLand. Ya gotta slow down to get better MPGs. Laws of physics are damn stubborn things.
My Jeep Grand Cherokee gets better mileage at 70 MPH sustained than at 50 MPH. Our F-150 is similar. I think this is the result of wind tunnel aerodynamic testing in design phases reflecting reality people don't drive 55 MPH like back in the days when that was federal law.

Sponsored

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
My Jeep Grand Cherokee gets better mileage at 70 MPH sustained than at 50 MPH. Our F-150 is similar. I think this is the result of wind tunnel aerodynamic testing in design phases reflecting reality people don't drive 55 MPH like back in the days when that was federal law.
Agreed. Our Audi gets almost 40mpg traveling 70-75.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You live in communist California where gas is already probably $6/gallon. Deepest sympathies.

Please stop the political comments, let’s stick to trucks.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Subaru might disagree with you. The Audi Quattro was quite popular with the ski crowd decades ago. Not sure what AWD system they used.
Subaru AWD is all four wheels all the time. Standard split is 80% front, 20% rear, but it moves more power to the rear when needed. Performance models have a rear bias.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"Real" truck folks will say everyone here is wrong because "real" trucks get 4x4 with locking, not this AWD or FWD.
Don’t care. They have their real trucks and that’s what they want. The Maverick fits MY needs perfectly. I’m not ashamed that I don’t live up to their expectations.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Jeep Grand Cherokee gets better mileage at 70 MPH sustained than at 50 MPH. Our F-150 is similar.
Think about that ... this is like riding a bike. My body can power my bike at 20mph and will use less calories than at 10mph?! I can ride my fat ass around faster and burn LESS energy?! This sounds like old Infomercial's promises during late night TV!! "Because the Shift-o-Matic gearing on your new 1500 Mach-E bike wipes out the extra drag, and our Kill-a-Cal energy pill makes your body burn fewer calories when your legs are spinning faster. Act now before supplis run out." :O

Let's just say you're right. That means Jeep tuned the engine (fuel injection, RPMs, gearing, aerodynamics) so it gets better MPG at 70MPH. Well, why stop there? Get them to tune it to 90MPH, or 120MPH -- let's get to Autobahn speeds. Get the Jeep "driving" 33k feet in the air alongside planes! Less wind drag up there!!
Sponsored