First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Focus wagon 06 Silverado 4x4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Like with the Auto Start/Stop, this likely won't be possible either. The EPA certifications regarding Emissions and Economy results extend to the vehicle calibration *at the time of testing*, meaning they'd have to independently certify the vehicle for operation on public roads in each operational setting. This either costs money, or the vehicle straight up doesn't qualify in some of the settings.

The workaround is that the vehicle is allowed to operate outside of the certified parameter as long as the parameters return to compliance after each key cycle. I'd imagine for a low-cost vehicle like the Maverick, Ford may have never spent the extra money to meet standards in ECO or SPORT mode, so it has to reset after a key cycle.
Don't see no problem with mode settings. Eco is supposed to be the most efficient mode. Government would want it that way. Eco should be the default and then switch to others manually.
Sponsored

Grabber Rick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Exctly correct. I do not like slippery mode at all, as there is minimal braking and it takes maximum pedal effort...just like it should if the pavement was really slippery. Eco definitely produces the most regen.

Interesting that my C-Max has a push button to engage ECO (the only other mode besides "Normal") and I've left that switch on for a few years now. It doesn't need reapplying each start. I only take it off when I want to "come off the line" faster to make a lane change or I'm next to a Prius.

But while ECO in the Cmax also makes for more regen, it is nothing like the amount of regen in my Maverick in Normal or ECO. When I drive home, there is a 55 mph zone, followed by a heavily patrolled 45 mph zone...and it is all downhill in the 1.5 mile 45 zone. I usually am on cruise control for that segment, as it is too easy to get a ticket. When I drop to 45 at the zone change, I have to pay attention if anyone is behind me when the regen anchor is thrown out.
Now a days people tend to follow to close and do not pay attention. I guess it would not be a bad idea if the brake light flashed once while reducing cruise control speed. Although every computer controlled function is prone to failure that may cause another issue. At times I will tap my brake then reset the cruise to the lower speed.

Grabber Rick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Exctly correct. I do not like slippery mode at all, as there is minimal braking and it takes maximum pedal effort...just like it should if the pavement was really slippery. Eco definitely produces the most regen.

Interesting that my C-Max has a push button to engage ECO (the only other mode besides "Normal") and I've left that switch on for a few years now. It doesn't need reapplying each start. I only take it off when I want to "come off the line" faster to make a lane change or I'm next to a Prius.

But while ECO in the Cmax also makes for more regen, it is nothing like the amount of regen in my Maverick in Normal or ECO. When I drive home, there is a 55 mph zone, followed by a heavily patrolled 45 mph zone...and it is all downhill in the 1.5 mile 45 zone. I usually am on cruise control for that segment, as it is too easy to get a ticket. When I drop to 45 at the zone change, I have to pay attention if anyone is behind me when the regen anchor is thrown out.
I have noticed the Maverick hybrid tends not to speed up when coasting downhill. Truck usually goes to EV mode and the electric motor holds the speed or even slows you down.

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would think it adds wear and tear to the starting system. I would think it would wear on the battery too. Takes more juice to start something than to maintain it. Especially while running A/C and headlights. This is on the 2.0 engine of course.
Exactly, but on the hybrid, there is no conventional starter to wear out.

James K

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford, like ALL American companies only thinks 90 days ahead. If it doesn't affect the next quarter, flush it. Have you ever seen the cartoon where the company SUGGESTION BOX has no bottom and is located above a large garbage can?
Umm, I'm not in complete agreement with that. I think you're talking about stock price. Don't get me wrong, quarterly reports are important but much more so to investors than the company. Stock prices are what others think a company is worth not it's true value. It's like do we really care if Iran were to devalue the rial to dollar? No, we do next to no trade with Iran so who cares. Market caps don't reflect a company's value, just the total paid on stocks. Generally the more lead time to bring a product to market dictates how forward looking a company focuses. It takes years to bring an automobile to market so you can bet the companies are trying to determine the market years ahead. People see things like Purdue Pharma and think all companies run like that but they're the exception, not the rule. I'm sure I haven't changed your way of thinking. I will tell you this though, I've worked for both big companies and big government (Fed) and the companies far and away cared more about what people thought about them.

Sponsored

NeedForSteve

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Fusion 2.3; 2023 HPR XLT EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Look, the driver can select the driving mode without violating EPA laws or directives. Currently, a driver can always manually set ECO mode before moving the vehicle and never use whatever mode the EPA certified. How would allowing the driver to select ECO mode as the default driving mode, in the settings, be illegal? Haven't seen the EPA police make any arrests. ;)
Correct, the DRIVER can manually select any of the driving modes that are available. That doesn't change the root cause, being that Emissions regulations allowing the OEM to sell the vehicle are written to apply to the MANUFACTURED STATE of the vehicle. This is why you are allowed to select any mode you want, but the computer reverts back to it's manufactured state after a key cycle. It's the manufacturer's way of saying "Hey look, WE set the vehicle up to comply with the law, but we can't control what the driver does *wink wink nudge nudge*"

Don't see no problem with mode settings. Eco is supposed to be the most efficient mode. Government would want it that way. Eco should be the default and then switch to others manually.
Eco is *supposed* to be the most efficient mode, but which "efficient"? The most Fuel-efficient setting may not necessarily be the most emissions-efficient. Both count. Ford would have chosen a map that strikes the balance between emissions and fuel efficiency to get the truck approved for sale, and that's the mode it's sold in.

It's also possible that the throttle response and shift table changes make the truck feel more sluggish than they'd like, and were worried it would scare buyers off if the truck felt so sluggish in Normal mode. Either way...

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wowza did not expect an answer that quickly, Thanks for that.

So maybe when you approach the 45-speed trap zone you tap the drive mode and bump it into Normal and get less braking effect before you get too far into the zone? Not trying to tell you how to drive just wondering if that would do the amount of slowdown you need to make the 45 speed without causing drivers behind you to go for their brakes.

I know, I know, more dang button pushing when I am trying to drive in heavy traffic. All these bells and whistles coming at me are new for sure. The ride is quieter than my 81 VW but for sure more complicated.
Forget changing the drive mode just push the "L" button for up to 100% computer controlled Regen or Engine braking without engaging hydraulics!

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow, your glass is half full and leaking. :)
It's always full. Half liquid and half gas.

"Suggestions" are not going to change the A.S.S. system. We wish they would, but they won't.

One thing I do see more and more "suggestions" for is restrictions on headlights though... Pretty sad when people cry for government intervention...
Sponsored