DHouch1813

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Maverick XLT Lux, FX4 w/4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
looking for info and ideas if anyone else has ever made an overland rack for the Mav or any truck. Was lucky enough to snag around 100’ of this extruded aluminum t-channel strut at work. It’s 1.5”x.75”. Trying to figure out how I’d calculate weight ratings and such. Looking for brackets to assemble. Have tons of ideas from looking at all the different bed racks. I will also be powder coating black before assembling. What y’all got?

Ford Maverick DIY Overland Rack? 9B586B46-812E-48E3-B429-A718871D74F2

Ford Maverick DIY Overland Rack? C0524CBC-D886-4017-A112-9AE2CCD135A2
Sponsored

Last edited:

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Your metal looks beefy enough. I think your weight rating would hinge on how it would mount to your truck. I know you can buy the feet for brands like yakina and trac rack. Maybe get a set of feet for the truck and build from there?

OP
OP
DHouch1813

DHouch1813

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Your metal looks beefy enough. I think your weight rating would hinge on how it would mount to your truck. I know you can buy the feet for brands like yakina and trac rack. Maybe get a set of feet for the truck and build from there?
I see you saw my other post. Really just thought that kit was cool and wanted to share for people the don’t DIY. I’m leaning towards building my own especially since I have so much of this material for free. I’m sure I can find the brackets and such but figuring what the weight rating would be is sorta above me. I’m looking to be able to mount a roof top tent and camping get to it. Also thinking of building a dog box below the rack with this for hunting season. I may have to look up where my work orders this from to find out tensile strength and weight capacities because a quick google search and I can’t find the same extruded rail. Which figures it’s most likely custom made for the site.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I see you saw my other post. Really just thought that kit was cool and wanted to share for people the don’t DIY. I’m leaning towards building my own especially since I have so much of this material for free. I’m sure I can find the brackets and such but figuring what the weight rating would be is sorta above me. I’m looking to be able to mount a roof top tent and camping get to it. Also thinking of building a dog box below the rack with this for hunting season. I may have to look up where my work orders this from to find out tensile strength and weight capacities because a quick google search and I can’t find the same extruded rail. Which figures it’s most likely custom made for the site.
Sorry I didnt notice who was posting what. I pay more attention to materials and construction more than I do people, and its even worse on the internet lol. Yeah A kit like that could be cut down, but thats a pricey prospect. I would totally do it on a $2-300 craigslist find though.

As for load ratings that sort of thing has to be tested in real world scenarios and alot of factors go into the strength of different designs. I would look more at just making sure its over built a good bit. I mean it would be a tough prospect for any design to have over 1000lb dynamic load ability on such a small bed. So I would just build it fairly heavy. Maybe 5 ribs total with legs at 3 points along each side. I would also do some gussets or knee bracing tight in the corners of each leg. You should only have to use around half or 3/4 of that 100 ft to make something that would be fine holding a tent and other gear. I could see a build holding 750lb pretty handily.

Sponsored

QuesoEnFuego

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Fiesta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was literally just thinking about using extruded channel to build a custom rack to go over a soft topper. Mine would only be for carrying surfboards.

Keep us posted if you move forward!

OP
OP
DHouch1813

DHouch1813

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My limited experience with trac rack is that it whistles in the wind. I'd use it in the bed for mounting points but that is about it.
I’m sure it does but just about every overland rack I’ve came across are made from the same. Check out the XTR1, Putco Venture TEC, there’s some others but all extruded t slotted framing. I will take that into consideration when I start building it, thanks.

OP
OP
DHouch1813

DHouch1813

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry I didnt notice who was posting what. I pay more attention to materials and construction more than I do people, and its even worse on the internet lol. Yeah A kit like that could be cut down, but thats a pricey prospect. I would totally do it on a $2-300 craigslist find though.

As for load ratings that sort of thing has to be tested in real world scenarios and alot of factors go into the strength of different designs. I would look more at just making sure its over built a good bit. I mean it would be a tough prospect for any design to have over 1000lb dynamic load ability on such a small bed. So I would just build it fairly heavy. Maybe 5 ribs total with legs at 3 points along each side. I would also do some gussets or knee bracing tight in the corners of each leg. You should only have to use around half or 3/4 of that 100 ft to make something that would be fine holding a tent and other gear. I could see a build holding 750lb pretty handily.
I’m definitely going the route of three legs a side and beefing the crossbar count. I’m hoping to find some brackets online tomorrow and get on order.

OP
OP
DHouch1813

DHouch1813

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was literally just thinking about using extruded channel to build a custom rack to go over a soft topper. Mine would only be for carrying surfboards.

Keep us posted if you move forward!
Oh yea I will for sure, might be a couple weeks though with daughters graduation, three camping trips before I sell the camper and f150. I’m hoping to have a mock up by mid June though.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Sponsored

NBTX

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
looking for info and ideas if anyone else has ever made an overland rack for the Mav or any truck. Was lucky enough to snag around 100’ of this extruded aluminum t-channel strut at work. It’s 1.5”x.75”. Trying to figure out how I’d calculate weight ratings and such. Looking for brackets to assemble. Have tons of ideas from looking at all the different bed racks. I will also be powder coating black before assembling. What y’all got?

9B586B46-812E-48E3-B429-A718871D74F2.jpeg

C0524CBC-D886-4017-A112-9AE2CCD135A2.jpeg
This is interesting. I've never seen this particular profile. Go to the 8020 website (link below) and download the 950+ page catalog. There is a ton of info on there and it's amazing how much hardware is available: hinges, brackets, connecting plates, rollers, almost anything you can imagine. All the load calculations are in that catalog.

I'm planning to run a couple of pieces of 8020 using the M8-threaded holes on either side of the bed. There are enough tie-downs existing so I was thinking of being a little more creative with this and it would likely be continuously tinkered with.

Good luck! If you find out exactly what model it is, please let us know.

80/20 T-slot Aluminum Building System (8020.net)

OP
OP
DHouch1813

DHouch1813

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
you probably can kind of use Xtr-1s design to run with something similar xrt-1
Yea but trying to find these brackets or get them custom made has proved to be difficult, they all want a CAD file. Haven't had the time to sit down and do that yet. Xtrusion didnt respond to my email...

PNWAstroOtter

First Name
Jayce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2.0 Ecobooost AWD Fx4 Lariat
Yea but trying to find these brackets or get them custom made has proved to be difficult, they all want a CAD file. Haven't had the time to sit down and do that yet. Xtrusion didnt respond to my email...
understandable. I did also find stuff like This that may help ya with a base frame

Maverick Grabber

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chrysler 200, 2022 Maverick XLT Red
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My limited experience with trac rack is that it whistles in the wind. I'd use it in the bed for mounting points but that is about it.
that's why radios have volume knobs 😂
Sponsored