First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, forgive me. If you have a service place you trust, why are you going to oil change places? Is this back to a cost thing? I get clients like this regularly. Their "mechanic" usually takes care of most things, but can't do certain diagnostics or whatever. This again goes back to my argument that if you are going to support a shop, support them. If you genuinely can't afford it, I get that. But, if you can afford it...
Prior to buying the Maverick my other two vehicles were a 2001 Toyota MR2 (now sold) that used a quart of oil a month so it seemed foolish to change the oil. My other vehicle is a 2004 Toyota Tacoma that used no oil. I didn't really care where I took it for oil changes. The Maverick is my first new car in many years so it is time to do things differently. This is not about cost as I paid cash for my Mav. It is about principle in not paying a dime more than I need to and get the same result. I took my Tacoma in for brakes once at a nearby Japanese Car shop but that is all I have done for repairs in 12 years. Toyotas are very reliable.
Sponsored

RevBo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Your dealer is wrong about both the filter and the oil. You MUST use Ford approved filter and oil during the warranty period. If you are not buying them from the dealer then you better keep detailed records and receipt in case of engine related failures.
I have had my Maverick for 3 weeks. My dealer recommends changing the oil at 6 months since I put few miles on it. They say I must use a Motorcraft filter but I am free to use any full synthetic oil, Costco, Walmart, Mobile 1, etc. They say use of any of these oils will not void my warranty. I have read conflicting opinions on this here.
That is INCORRECT! I worked for Ford Motor Company and my wife's Dad was a Ford Lincoln/Mercury dealer in Texas for many years. Don't buy an off-brand filter or the cheapest oil you can find! Purchase name brand filters and name brand FULL SYNTHETIC motor oil in the correct weight (I buy 05-20 for my Maverick Hybrid). I change it all every 7,500 miles since a hybrid engine runs much less that the actual mileage...I'd still change every 7,500 miles with the 2.0 engine as well to keep things clean. Most of all, KEEP A RECORD & RECEIPT of every time you change it wilh the mileage noted. Ford will honor that completely in case of needed warranty work. GUARANTEED!!!

Paulyz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.churchbelltoweradventure-suspense.com
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have had my Maverick for 3 weeks. My dealer recommends changing the oil at 6 months since I put few miles on it. They say I must use a Motorcraft filter but I am free to use any full synthetic oil, Costco, Walmart, Mobile 1, etc. They say use of any of these oils will not void my warranty. I have read conflicting opinions on this here.
Owners manual recommends synthetic blend motor oil. My mechanic said he'd wait until about 10,000 miles B4 using full synthetic oil. I change mine every 5,000 miles

WJOHNM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox, redline. XLT,AWD,4KTOW,FX4 ,CO PILOT360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yeah, I have thougth about buying ramps and doing it myself. Then I realized I have gray hair, it gets awful hot in Texas and I no longer need to be doing that kinda stuff myself.
I agree, am 72 and changed enough oil to fill a swimming pool, a big one, NO MORE but its hard to tell who to trust I did my first change at the dealer at 3000 miles and checked it when I got home they put too much oil in was half inch over on the dip stick, next day went back and they took it out. Another time at the dealer got oil change and tire rotation after I paid they brought my car up and my right rear wheel had a scratch the same scratch I did a few months back that pissed me off every time I looked at it, they never touched the wheels, service manager called out the mechanic he says he forgot to do it, how do you forget with only 2 things on the repair order. As for the oil filter think it was the FORD guy on utube cut open all the name brand filters and checked them and the motor Craft filter was one of the BEST also was made by one of the name brand company's so why not use it.

WJOHNM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox, redline. XLT,AWD,4KTOW,FX4 ,CO PILOT360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I am a nearly lifetime service advisor, and worked for Lincoln. I can tell you that your advisor is wrong. Period. If you have an in warranty engine related failure and no service records at the dealer they are going to ask for the records for where the services were done. When they get those records they are going to need to have part numbers and part description and they will make sure that the correct thing has been used before Ford writes a check to fix a car that they have not been servicing.
I also have worked for a dealer more years than most of you are alive and it didn't happen Offen but when we would take a valve cover off on a locked up motor and it looked like burnt grease in there, I used to love all the FAKE invoices the customer would bring in that the oil was changed. Just change your oil every 5000 miles don't understand what the big deal is.

Sponsored

DoubleR

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nissan Altima, 2015 Nissan Rogue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I use Mobil1 and a Walmart SuperTech oil filter.... no issues with other filters.

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For the hybrid, the owner's manual (page 369) engine oil needs to meet specification WSS-M2C962-A1. Page 366 of the owner's manual states "If a Motorcraft oil filter is not available, use an oil filter that aligns to SAE/USCAR – 36 Performance Specifications. Filter Type B.
This is the best correct answer.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I use Mobil1 and a Walmart SuperTech oil filter.... no issues with other filters.
Those supertech filters are pretty good. There are teardown vids on youtube. Dunno if I'd risk the dealer invalidating the warranty on the mav, but I use them on our older vehicles.

Sheepherder1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
you can use any aftermarket part you like if the dealer prohibit you from using aftermarket parts, they have to supply the part for free, plain and simple

https://www.ftc.gov/legal-library/b...nty-federal-trade-commission-improvements-act

FamousAmos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A wise man told me years ago to stick with a brand name, as different manuracturers have different cocktails for their additives. Always made sense to me. I had always provided my own oil and filters for 60 years. Now that I don't change my own oil anymore, I will go with Ford, and hope that they are continuing with their brand products.
FWIW.

Sponsored

Rick Hibdon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hear you. I am pushing 70 so am not so interested in crawling around under vehicles to save a few bucks. What about high quality service places for oil changes?
I AM 70. And I will still do my own maintenance. Simply because I want it done RIGHT! I was an auto mech for years, and then ran a tool truck for years. I can't begin to tell you the horror stories. Wrong filter= blown engine. Loose ( or stripped drain plugs) Differentials never refilled. I have a small lift in the pole barn, but if the weather permits, I'll do it in the drive on ramps. I find it rewarding to still "do" stuff like that.
For the record, I changed mine at 5,000 miles. Used factory filter and Mobil 1 0w20 hybrid synthetic.
Yeah, it's kind of a pain pulling of all those little belly pan screws, but at least I know they're ALL back in and hand tightened

Rick Hibdon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Those supertech filters are pretty good. There are teardown vids on youtube. Dunno if I'd risk the dealer invalidating the warranty on the mav, but I use them on our older vehicles.
I'd already made up my mind to use factory oil filters ( to avoid any possible conflicts). I was surprised when I bought the Ford filter, (at the dealership) that it was only 6 bucks and some change. I don't think you can buy any decent aftermarket filter for 6 bucks!
Also... be aware that there are tons of "motorcraft?" filters being sold cheap on Amazon, eBay, and some other stores that are 100% BOGUS! Do a little research. They are being sold as "factory" by third party sellers, and come straight from China. Filters, plugs, coil, wires, etc..

Sheepherder1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I posted the wrong link before this is the proper law on aftermarket parts? Use whatever you want dealer has no say so or they have to supply the parts for free let them tell you that and then make them give you the oil filter.

https://www.yourlemonlawrights.com/magnuson-moss-warranty-act

DoubleR

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nissan Altima, 2015 Nissan Rogue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Currently... 1)Fram/Champion -and- 2)Wix/Purolator/Mann+Hummel are the only two major oil-filter manufacturers in the USA. Making aftermarket, OEM, and third-party-branded oil filters. Also, given that there are only two consolidated manufacturers, quality of the USA oil filters seem to have increased and become similar across different brands.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd already made up my mind to use factory oil filters ( to avoid any possible conflicts). I was surprised when I bought the Ford filter, (at the dealership) that it was only 6 bucks and some change. I don't think you can buy any decent aftermarket filter for 6 bucks!
Also... be aware that there are tons of "motorcraft?" filters being sold cheap on Amazon, eBay, and some other stores that are 100% BOGUS! Do a little research. They are being sold as "factory" by third party sellers, and come straight from China. Filters, plugs, coil, wires, etc..
Yeah amazon and ebay are full of chinesium counterfeits. But Geniuine Motorcraft filters are surprisingly cheap. I saw a teardown on youtube and they have all the features and good quality manufacturing. You really can't go wrong with them and I don't see any reason not to use them at least while the warranty is still in effect.
Sponsored

Reactions: bgn