Sponsored

Dead front USB on base head unit from new, no power, no Android auto/carplay connection

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have you used it yet for apple carplay or android auto
The wife has played some tunes on the free Sirius deal I do not turn radio on while driving as I might need to hear horns or trains or squealing tires or whatever but may need to charge phone when we take a trip. The wife paired her phone with Bluetooth to truck. Occasionally might want to use active trip mapping so maybe I would need to connect phone to truck?

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape 2022 Ford Maverick
The wife has played some tunes on the free Sirius deal I do not turn radio on while driving as I might need to hear horns or trains or squealing tires or whatever but may need to charge phone when we take a trip. The wife paired her phone with Bluetooth to truck. Occasionally might want to use active trip mapping so maybe I would need to connect phone to truck?
Yeah you need to connect your phone for the usb for maps and stuff I feel a good indicator is if your USB port is lighting up or if you plug a phone in and it’s getting a charge

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah you need to connect your phone for the usb for maps and stuff I feel a good indicator is if your USB port is lighting up or if you plug a phone in and it’s getting a charge
They make charge cords that do not have data wires (cheapest), low speed data (costs a little more and may or may not work on data), and various higher speed data ones (again costs a little more).

Sponsored

OP
OP
22XLThybrid

22XLThybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT hybrid (order July 21)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just picked mine up 2 days ago and I am having the same issue where my USB port is completely dead
Probably something in the assembly wider than 1. Cable is backordered till May sometime.

BB0

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just as a heads up to others, the lights around the port are on a different circuit so they don’t indicate if the port is active or not. My USB port lights work but the ports don’t even charge my phone (let alone connect to CarPlay). Tried different cables rated for both power and data transfer.

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tip for anyone with USB issues, I have been using a Carplay wireless adapter, and after seeing another thread here showing the USBA slot is just a male miniusb on the back, I attempted to install to keep the wireless adapter inside the trim, and it killed the ports. Last ditch before checking the fuse, did a maser reset on the stereo, everything worked. Give that a try if you have dead USB ports!

BB0

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tip for anyone with USB issues, I have been using a Carplay wireless adapter, and after seeing another thread here showing the USBA slot is just a male miniusb on the back, I attempted to install to keep the wireless adapter inside the trim, and it killed the ports. Last ditch before checking the fuse, did a maser reset on the stereo, everything worked. Give that a try if you have dead USB ports!
While the advice is appreciated, I think this would only be useful if you only have signal connection issues. If you also do not have power at the port, I don't see how resetting the radio can suddenly provide power to them. It doesn't hurt to try, but I think this is a long shot. I would bank on either blown fuses (of which I am still not sure which provide power to the ports; clavicus mentioned two great ideas earlier in this thread but I have not had time to check) or the lack of an installed wiring harness as this is a proven issue with multiple reports. I haven't had time to get a service appointment yet and will update when I do.

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you also do not have power at the port, I don't see how resetting the radio can suddenly provide power to them. It doesn't hurt to try, but I think this is a long shot. I would bank on either blown fuses
I can 100% tell you, that I had 0 data and power to those ports and a reset fixed it. This was only after trying to use a miniUSB to USBA adaptor on the wiring harness under the trim. They were working before I started messing with stuff.

When it was not working, plugging in an iPhone to both the USB C and USB A after returning the harness to its proper spot, resulted in no charging and no detection by the stereo for Car Play.

Powered off and on the vehicle several times, and my next 2 steps were to disconnect the battery for 30 seconds, then get to the fuses ( I was saving this for last as every vehicle I have owned required laying under the dash for this, not fun).

Reset takes about 2 minutes and is minimal effort other than reconnecting the Ford Pass.

The lighting around the USB ports is also 100% not an indicator of them providing power or carrying data.

Sponsored

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm waiting to see how the dealership resolves the issue. They promised the part needed would be here last week. At least Spotify works through Bluetooth.​

BB0

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can 100% tell you, that I had 0 data and power to those ports and a reset fixed it. This was only after trying to use a miniUSB to USBA adaptor on the wiring harness under the trim. They were working before I started messing with stuff.

When it was not working, plugging in an iPhone to both the USB C and USB A after returning the harness to its proper spot, resulted in no charging and no detection by the stereo for Car Play.

Powered off and on the vehicle several times, and my next 2 steps were to disconnect the battery for 30 seconds, then get to the fuses ( I was saving this for last as every vehicle I have owned required laying under the dash for this, not fun).

Reset takes about 2 minutes and is minimal effort other than reconnecting the Ford Pass.

The lighting around the USB ports is also 100% not an indicator of them providing power or carrying data.
I wouldn't have thought that that would work, but fantastic! I will have to try this when I get out of work. What process did you use to reset the radio so that I can duplicate this exactly?

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wouldn't have thought that that would work, but fantastic! I will have to try this when I get out of work. What process did you use to reset the radio so that I can duplicate this exactly?
Settings, General, Master reset ( I think ). Will have to verify to be 100% sure. Only downside is it clears fordpass, other than that I was glad it saved me fuse hunting.

Reactions: BB0

BB0

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Settings, General, Master reset ( I think ). Will have to verify to be 100% sure. Only downside is it clears fordpass, other than that I was glad it saved me fuse hunting.
Thank you for letting me know! I did the power+skip restart and the master reset like you described and set everything back up. Sadly it still does not work so I’ll just set up a service appointment as I just did the dash cam and mirror and really don’t feel like doing more electrical work… I really do appreciate the helpful tips though; if it had worked it would have been a good time saver.

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for letting me know! I did the power+skip restart and the master reset like you described and set everything back up. Sadly it still does not work so I’ll just set up a service appointment as I just did the dash cam and mirror and really don’t feel like doing more electrical work… I really do appreciate the helpful tips though; if it had worked it would have been a good time saver.
Sorry it didn't help, but it was worth a try. I was dreading having to go to the dealer if I screwed something up. Hopefully they get you sorted quickly, I look forward to knowing what they tell you the cause was.
Sponsored

Reactions: BB0