First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just finished a new custom design for my pen and mini mag light. Still need to print in grey.

Ford Maverick Dash cubby hole -- what's in yours? 📸 IMG_5281

Sponsored

Flub

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 08
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My concern with the "buttons in the visor" approach (or even a remote control in your car is that if someone breaks into your car, they can get into your garage easy-peasy.

The Smart Garage Door Opener solves that, and adds a lot of cool functionality for $50. It took me about 5 minutes to install, and another 5 minutes to integrate with my Apple TV and iPhone. It also works with Google Assistant, Alexa, and SmartThings if you're not an Apple family.

Now I can just say "Hey Siri, open the garage door" anywhere my phone has a network connection (or in the living room where my Apple TV resides), and within seconds it's opening. I usually tell Siri to open the garage when I'm about a block from home, and it's open when I pull up.

Other cool features in their proprietary app (works even if you have the home automation stuff enabled) is that you can set it up to automatically close the garage door at a specific time in the evening (in case you forget it's open) or to open it at whatever time you leave the house in the morning.

Best $50 I've spent in a long time. My wife thinks I'm a genius for getting this installed and working. Don't tell her it was stupid-easy!
Sincere question: if you park in the driveway why does your vehicle have a garage door opener? That's what the keypad is for, or enter through the front door?

Sponsored

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sincere question: if you park in the driveway why does your vehicle have a garage door opener? That's what the keypad is for, or enter through the front door?
In a nutshell, the keypad doesn't work, and the garage opener is a brand that I can no longer find parts for. If/when it dies, we will replace it, but for now it still works OK.

TLDR version: The garage is always the first place we enter to unload groceries, etc.

More detailed answer:

Back during the Covid "isolation" period, we were living in a very rural area, and a trip to Wal-Mart or Costco was a 3-hour affair (2 hours just to get there and back). My wife has some unusual and special dietary needs, and the stores often ran out of items she requires, so we would stock up when they were available.

To have room to store all those bulky items, we wound up buying a 2nd refrigerator and small deep-freeze. It served us quite well, including during the notorious "Texas Freeze" where we were isolated for nearly two weeks (again - very rural area) with no power other than what our whole-house generator provided.

More recently, we moved to a suburban neighborhood. But our new house (and thus the kitchen) is quite a bit smaller. Only a relatively small refrigerator will fit, and the "pantry" is basically a linen closet - way too small to meed her needs. Once refigured out that the garage was too small for both our cars to fit, we instead set up shelves on one side for storing canned goods, soft drinks, and other non-spoilable items - basically a "garage pantry" for all the things that won't fit inside. We also put the "garage" fridge and freezer out there. So when we return from shopping, most of what we just purchased goes into one of those three places. The garage is always our first stop.

JerseyMike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mazda 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Random animals I found and a cactus for a cactus gray truck.

Ford Maverick Dash cubby hole -- what's in yours? 📸 20230304_084521

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

DuffCon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Ascent
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Funko Pop! Mini fit perfectly (once I removed the rubber mat). Used a command strip to stick it on. It's great except for one stretch of my commute where it hits resonance frequency and the little bobbing Mandalorian head makes a lot of noise.
Great minds… I have the one with Mando only. its ready when his new home is delivere!
Sponsored