First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello MTC - I need advice with snaking the long Dash Cam Power Cable from the unit to the 12V dash port. Never tried something like this.

I will need to tuck the cable under the front ceiling trim, remove the A Pillar panel, go under the glove box - and somehow close to the 12V dash socket.

I don't want to break anything. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Sponsored

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's pretty simple once you get in there, there's a few threads already but the gist is:

For the windshield upper trim: it just tucks in, use a pry tool on the headliner if needed. there's a spot close to the A pillar that seems to have some structure, impeding the cable. you can use force to get through but don't need to tuck it in fully

for the A pillar: grab the top of the panel, pull directly away, you'll release a couple clips. grab further down on the A pillar trim and pull again, with moderate force but not as if you were ripping it away, just force it out a few inches, you'll release another clip and the A pillar will hold itself by the base

for the side panel, door adjacent: it's tricky, look up videos. there's a single plastic "bolt" holding in the bottom. i like to fully remove this one first, while at the same time using a pry tool to pull the edge of this panel's trim out from the weathering strip. others will show other methods. easy to break clips due to the angles you have to play with and how many there are but don't be scared to pry and prode and most importantly, look around and pay attention to how its attached.

at this point you can start your wire run, either from the dash cam or from the fuse panel. for the a pillar, there's plenty of room to pass wires behind the airbag, you can even zip tie if you're creative or pass a loom through there for simplifying later wire runs. as you pass through the side panel you'll notice the factory wiring, follow it to the fuse box, keeping the wires away from passenger feet and look up the other dashcam threads here in TECH for fuse selection

good luck and have fun!

kcamp317

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid 16 Ford Escape SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One thing to note is to route the cable along side of the airbag in the A pillar and not over top of it. For obvious reasons.

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you poke around a bit, you may find that there is 12V switched available beneath the plastic panel above the mirror. Rather than snake it across & down, it may be easier to tap the available power.
tom

LelandJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You don't really need to remove the A-pillar. If you pull out the rubber gasket strip on the outside of it you can hide the wire in along there. You'll need to tuck the wire into the top of the A-Pillar first though. You'll also need to pop the plastic molding off along the inside door footboard to run the wire back into the inside toward the fuse box. It's kinda hard to describe in writing, so apologies if this doesn't make any sense. I have the Viofo 3 channel dash cam and I installed it a few months ago. No problems and the wires are completely hidden.

Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello MTC - I need advice with snaking the long Dash Cam Power Cable from the unit to the 12V dash port. Never tried something like this.

I will need to tuck the cable under the front ceiling trim, remove the A Pillar panel, go under the glove box - and somehow close to the 12V dash socket.

I don't want to break anything. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank You
I’ve done it in two MAVs and never removed any panels other than the fuse box cover in the passenger side floor.
You can use a trim tool to snake the cable behind the roof panel along the windshield and then down the edge of the pillar panel and then down the door jam behind the weather strip and finally under the panel just below the and behind the clove box.

Super clean and easy.

OP
OP
nunucello

nunucello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve done it in two MAVs and never removed any panels other than the fuse box cover in the passenger side floor.
You can use a trim tool to snake the cable behind the roof panel along the windshield and then down the edge of the pillar panel and then down the door jam behind the weather strip and finally under the panel just below the and behind the clove box.

Super clean and easy.
Did you use a fuse tap to power ?

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes

OP
OP
nunucello

nunucello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Slot #3. The fuse position is really dependent on how you want to power your cam. Some cameras have a parked mode that , if powered while parked will activate on vibration.

Sponsored
OP
OP
nunucello

nunucello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Slot #3. The fuse position is really dependent on how you want to power your cam. Some cameras have a parked mode that , if powered while parked will activate on vibration.
Hi Weatherman. I don't think I need the park mode. Do you recommend going with Fuse position #1 then ?

Would I need a wire kit with the selectable low voltage protection switch ?

Much appreciated.

Last edited:

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I used #3, my first camera doesn’t have park monitoring.

I can’t speak to the switch. I used a piggy back fuse blade that was offered as an option with camera.

OP
OP
nunucello

nunucello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used #3, my first camera doesn’t have park monitoring.

I can’t speak to the switch. I used a piggy back fuse blade that was offered as an option with camera.
#3 looks like Micro 2

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes. I believe that is correct.