Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Cousins wife hit me with that ā€œwhoā€™s little truck is this? Itā€™s cute.ā€
Itā€™s alright, people have gotten used to large trucks because small trucks havenā€™t been made in a while

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes smaller trucks look smaller towards 250sā€¦.. so many trucks never haul anything around my town itā€™s kinda funny

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You have to be a little older to remember the first little truck that became a hit in the US back in the 60's and 70's, the Datsun pickup. Datsun pickups were actually first introduced in 1959. The parent company, Nissan, dropped the Datsun name in 1986. As I recall, the little Datson pickups were smaller than the Maverick is now.

Sponsored

MaverickGTI

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Fx4
I sure this has been covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it, so here goes.

"Cute?" Miatas are cute. The similar Honda S2000 is cute. My mid-1960s Sunbeam Alpine was cute. Maybe the Mini Cooper. But the 2022 Ford Maverick? Nah, I don't think so.

So, "Little?" I did some limited, non-rigorous, searching into the early versions if small pickups. (Feel free to check my work.) The examples I chose were 2 wheel drive, short beds and extra cabs when I could find them. The examples I used were: 1. first generation Ford Ranger Supercab, 1983-1988(?), 2. 1995 Toyata Tacoma, 3. 1995 Chevy S-10.

The Maverick is heavier and wider than any of them. The Maverick spec. is several inches taller than any of them, but I think that includes the antenna. Taking the height to the roofline, i'm calling it a wash. The Maverick is longer than the Ranger, near equal to the Toyota, and a few inches shorter than the S-10. So it's really only "little" compared to the newer behemoths we've become accustomed to commute back and forth to work in.

So why am I writing this!? 'Cos' I'm tired and bored with the reviewers comments about the Maverick being a "cute, little truck." I guess it was supposed to be a "cute" thing to say. It wasn't. Still isn't.
On my first trip from home with the Mav, a tattood up guy, smoking a cigarette had his Silverado 1500 blocking up the entire road. When the other lane finally cleared and I could drive past, all I could here is, "that's a badass little truck".

Clifdawg

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After reading this post, I was walking back to my truck in my work parking lot and honestly, itā€™s not that small. Itā€™s about the same overall height as most midsize crossovers and a little bit longer. I got behind an older Ranger the other day and the Mav is definitely bigger.

As to whether or not itā€™s ā€œcuteā€¦ā€ thatā€™s kinda subjective. Doesnā€™t offend me, Iā€™m married and have a kid and Iā€™m not trying to prove anything to anyone. I think itā€™s just a good looking small truck, end of story. The appeal, however, is in the efficiency and practicality.

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes smaller trucks look smaller towards 250sā€¦.. so many trucks never haul anything around my town itā€™s kinda funny
Ain't that the truth. I've used my Maverick to haul more stuff than most guys with "real" trucks.

And I've had it for a whole week and a half.

Lone Star Proud

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I sure this has been covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it, so here goes.

"Cute?" Miatas are cute. The similar Honda S2000 is cute. My mid-1960s Sunbeam Alpine was cute. Maybe the Mini Cooper. But the 2022 Ford Maverick? Nah, I don't think so.

So, "Little?" I did some limited, non-rigorous, searching into the early versions if small pickups. (Feel free to check my work.) The examples I chose were 2 wheel drive, short beds and extra cabs when I could find them. The examples I used were: 1. first generation Ford Ranger Supercab, 1983-1988(?), 2. 1995 Toyata Tacoma, 3. 1995 Chevy S-10.

The Maverick is heavier and wider than any of them. The Maverick spec. is several inches taller than any of them, but I think that includes the antenna. Taking the height to the roofline, i'm calling it a wash. The Maverick is longer than the Ranger, near equal to the Toyota, and a few inches shorter than the S-10. So it's really only "little" compared to the newer behemoths we've become accustomed to commute back and forth to work in.

So why am I writing this!? 'Cos' I'm tired and bored with the reviewers comments about the Maverick being a "cute, little truck." I guess it was supposed to be a "cute" thing to say. It wasn't. Still isn't.
If someone was to tell me i have a cute little truck i would be ecstatic because it would mean i finally got my hands on the damn thing!

Sponsored
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick xlt awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
But it is a little truck. Sure you can compare to trucks who are so old most people on this forum weren't even alive or driving (broad brush I know I know) but objectively of anything on the road that is a truck it IS little, that's the point.

Cute...sure whatever someone wants to call it. When I tell people about it I say it's Fords new mini truck. So if anything I'm reinforcing the fact that it's little. I bought it specifically because it was little. Anyways I know you're just pointing out the lack of "respect" from reviewers etc but I guess we all see it how we want to

xhristian1

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ES 350
Who gives a damn? Insecure on both ends.
Sponsored