Sponsored

Considering changing from hybrid to 2.0 so the truck gets built before 2022... opinions?

Diettinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Ford
Really, what the topic says. I have a Lariat Lux hybrid ordered, but I'm considering changing it to a Lariat 2.0 AWD Lux because waiting until January-February for it to be built, well, sucks.

Any thoughts - is Ford still not scheduling any Lariat hybrids for building?
Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Really, what the topic says. I have a Lariat Lux hybrid ordered, but I'm considering changing it to a Lariat 2.0 AWD Lux because waiting until January-February for it to be built, well, sucks.

Up to you, I am sticking with the 2.5 I expected during a bto opening there would be delays and queuing.

AlienMaverick

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It’s up to you, Is there a shortage of hybrid powertrains, absolutely and thats why I switched to the 2.0. The 2.0 has been out for a while and bugs worked out and we are now finding out that the 2.0 gets at least 30 mpg highway. You can see that the production is 65% ecoboost and 35% hybrid. My priority number went from 19 to 10 after the switch. I called my dealer last week to get rid of the Standalone spray in bed liner , hopefully I will a get a build date this week.

OP
OP

Diettinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Ford
Thanks everyone for reminding me it's up to me. But I was aware that it's up to me all along, and was merely asking for opinions to help me decide :)

In the end, I ended up asking my dealer to change my order from hybrid to 2.0 AWD. It's only $3k more, and I do get AWD which makes more sense in a truck. Resale value should hold better with AWD as well.

Thanks again.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Thanks everyone for reminding me it's up to me.
That phrase is frequently used in the same way “bless your heart” is used by southern ladies… as in I think it’s a dumb move, but if you really want to go for it

Sponsored

PapaNer

First Name
Ner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Veloster 2.0 Premium

I have a hybrid and was confirmed for 10/4. You're still in the running, but it seems like Lux may be what's holding you back with some of their builds being held up there.

But also - saving a potential* month or two of waiting and sacrificing the mpg gain from the hybrid seems, well, very silly. Changing it will guarantee you nothing.

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm in no hurry. Even if it takes 6 more months. I ordered this truck for the light utility it offers and unparalleled MPG in the hybrid configuration. The 2.0T will not be the gas mileage I want.

SpacemanSpiff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyreese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-15 Eagle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My priority number went from 19 to 10 after the switch.
The dealer made that change internally, doesn't have anything to do with switching - in fact, all you have to do is ask your sales rep to change the priority code from 19 to 10 on the WBDO. In reality though, the best that does is put you ahead of anyone else at the same dealer that has a higher than 10 priority.

OP
OP

Diettinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Ford
I see the switch as gaining AWD rather than losing mpg, and I think an AWD truck will resell better when the time comes.

The $ savings from hybrid mpg is peanuts. My current car gets 19mpg, mostly highway driving. I fill up twice a month. So best case scenario with the hybrid, I save one gas tank a month? BEST case? That's $50. Meh.

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav XLT,2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4, 2015 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why change? Better to wait for what you want in the long run over settling for something else to get it quicker. I don't like the turbo longevity (we replace Fusion and F150 turbos by the boatload) and I want the MPG over anything else.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Diettinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Ford
Why change? Better to wait for what you want in the long run over settling for something else to get it quicker. I don't like the turbo longevity (we replace Fusion and F150 turbos by the boatload) and I want the MPG over anything else.
We have different priorities it seems. I'm not expecting to keep the truck much past the warranty so not too concerned about the turbo, and I'd rather have it this year than the next.

The actual money savings from the hybrid mpg turned out to be tiny after I did the math. Assuming 25mpg vs 40mpg, it's an extra 15 gallons of gas to drive 1,000 miles. That's what, 50 bucks every 1,000 miles? So every year I save $500 in gas? Eh.

Originally I picked the hybrid because, in the end, 500 bucks is still 500 bucks. But getting the car months sooner, and having AWD, and having a faster truck - all that is worth the tiny $ penalty (to me).

MarkG

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
I know changing options before getting scheduled isn't supposed to put you back as far as your order date. I would be a little concerned about a major build change such as a switch from Hybrid to Eco Boost though.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
My opinion, I have no desire for the Hybrid powertrain at this time, nor do I need 40 MPG City. If that is your situation, then consider the optional powertrain.

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I see the switch as gaining AWD rather than losing mpg, and I think an AWD truck will resell better when the time comes.

The $ savings from hybrid mpg is peanuts. My current car gets 19mpg, mostly highway driving. I fill up twice a month. So best case scenario with the hybrid, I save one gas tank a month? BEST case? That's $50. Meh.
Only you alone can figure out the circumstances and how mileage will impact. But there is more to the car then just mileage. Yes that's only 600/yr. But then the ecoboost costs more up front. You will also see more depreciation since it's more expensive and has a lower lifetime then the hybrid. I expect the hybrid will be capable of 300k miles. I also expect it to have less maint costs.

At minimum over 12 years, you will save 10k. But that would be conservative.

So you say meh what's $50 a month. But I say, well what's 10-20k over 10-15 years? Then if you had of invested that money in relatively safe growth funds?

Meh what's 30-40k in 20-30 years?

But if we all cared that much about costs, we'd still be running around in beater honda civics and the like.

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav XLT,2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4, 2015 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We have different priorities it seems. I'm not expecting to keep the truck much past the warranty so not too concerned about the turbo, and I'd rather have it this year than the next.

The actual money savings from the hybrid mpg turned out to be tiny after I did the math. Assuming 25mpg vs 40mpg, it's an extra 15 gallons of gas to drive 1,000 miles. That's what, 50 bucks every 1,000 miles? So every year I save $500 in gas? Eh.

Originally I picked the hybrid because, in the end, 500 bucks is still 500 bucks. But getting the car months sooner, and having AWD, and having a faster truck - all that is worth the tiny $ penalty (to me).
If that's the case it's a no-brainer. Switch it out. I would do it before they start previewing orders for build on Wednesday.
Sponsored